What's new

Arko August 2020

Missed a post yesterday but not an Arko shave. Yesterday was Arko fresh shave cream, a synthetic brush, Q-Shave with a Gillette Nacet Blade, much better results than the last blade. Topped off with Arko Gold. Today's Arko shave was off the Arko puck, with a Van Derhagen boar brush, Rockwell 6S and topped off with Arko Cool After Shave. Really digging the Arko lather.

Attachments

• Lather815.jpg
    Lather815.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • Shave 815.jpg
    Shave 815.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 7
Missed a post yesterday but not an Arko shave. Yesterday was Arko fresh shave cream, a synthetic brush, Q-Shave with a Gillette Nacet Blade, much better results than the last blade. Topped off with Arko Gold. Today's Arko shave was off the Arko puck, with a Van Derhagen boar brush, Rockwell 6S and topped off with Arko Cool After Shave. Really digging the Arko lather.
Very nice. Used the same soap and brush today as well. Good stuff.

Sat 15 Arko Sharko
Cream Arko Cool
Bowl Timeless
Brush DS Comestic 26mm Badger
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade Shark Super Stainless 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Cool
Excellent cream, bowl and brush combo resulting in a satisfying lather. Creamy and slick. Pleasant mild scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was nicely smooth and comfortable. Blade still ok. 3+1 multiple passes without issues although later can see that there's 2 creepers. Postshave icy rinse followed by Thayers was great on a hot day. Rating today 9.3/10
There's Sharks lurking....caused creepers without me realizing it...
20200814_202150.jpg

20200815_113702.jpg

Arko August- 15th shave

Lovely two pass DFS shave:

Razor: Gem MMFW; Gem PTFE (5)-
The first pass I did was with a CVS carbon blade I re-sharpened this morning. BUt, it wasn't smooth enough to continue with after the initial pass.
Soap: Arko stick- This little stick just keep on giving.
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic- Third use of this brush; got a little more used to it.
AS: Captain's Choice Lime- This is a nice earthy splash; feels great on the face. The scent fades fairly quickly which would be good for a follow up EDT. I was too lazy today to look for one :001_smile .

Stay safe everyone!
0815201148_HDR.jpg

SOTD
  • NEW Short Comb
  • Nacet (11)
  • Arko for August (in a re-used tub)
  • Semogue Owner's Club Taj Boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Moonwind Cologne AS
Today was the maiden voyage of my Taj Resin Handle SOC, which I received in a trade. I've done a few soak/dry cycles, but it's definitely not broken in yet.

Knowing that boar brushes eat lather to start and that the 24mm SOC is as guilty as the next, I loaded 33% more than usual - 20 seconds rather than 15 seconds. That was enough for a single pass, but not more. I probably got a quarter of the usual amount of lather. Thankfully, Arko is plenty slick, so I managed to get a full pass and a bit of clean-up.

I'll load much heavier tomorrow and throughout the break-in phase. On the positive side, this may just be the most comfortable handle I've ever used!

Just loaded - it didn't pick up much soap:

3D1BA9A3-0D00-46BD-A276-89D1E424DE8C.jpeg

After face-lathering for my first and only pass:
89A63819-1744-4968-BC40-5D8F761A95DC.jpeg

shark1.jpeg

Shave 8
8-15-2020
Soap: ARKO in a repurposed deodorant stick. 43 Grams 1,51 oz gross weight
Razor: Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade: My first Sharko 🦈 (1) NO BITES! Small amount of neck irritation in two spots. Pretty smooth. I was expecting it to be more aggressive.
Brush: Omaga 49
Alum: Aluna
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk
3 pass some touch up DFS.​

Arko Sharko for Aug 15th! Used the stick today completely confirming it is slicker than the tub for me. Also used a Yaqi 24mm Two-Band Badger, a WCS 110s, and a Shark Super Chrome blade. Started the lather on my face then switched to my new copper bowl, also from Turkey. The Arko man approved. I know by the smile on his face!

5E935787-3FA6-41F6-A14E-BD1574E0AB85.jpeg

Thirteenth use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth only
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razor: GC .68
Blade: Personna (made in Germany) #3
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Brut AS.

This was a test shave without preshave oil. It got an event-free DFS result, but there was some skin irritation, calmed by the post-shave Nivea, so the oil has a preventative value.

After using the Game Changer .68 for a week, I like it a lot, but the Rockwell still seems slightly more efficient on R5. I'm going to try a GC .84 plate.

Last edited:
Arko August - yet another evening shave

Hot weather, cold lather.

>RazoRock Wunderbar on one of my new Tibam custom Ti handles. They took almost 4 months to catch a flight out of Russia. First use, worth the wait!
>SuperMax Blue Diamond (7). Still cutting, but I'm trying to limit DE blades to a week or 7 uses. Into the bin.
>Arko, stick in mug, lathered by boar in a Captain's Choice heavy copper bowl. A sea of lather!
>Alum, Dickinson's rosewater witch hazel toner, Sudsy Soapery Lemon Rose Chypre AS. Embrace the rose.
12D008EA-2D32-4DF6-8CB1-3DDB8E3FF5CB.jpeg

Close two pass shave, skipped the touch up. Cheeks were smoothed to dolphin standard. I saved a little roughness on the neck to encourage shaving before noon!

I embraced my rose scented after products. Nope, I still don't care for rose. Arko, though, 11 shaves in August, and loving it.

Maybe a side-by-side Arko v Tabac shave next. Change it up a little and get those two seasoned competitors into the ring.

Top Bottom