What's new

Arko August 2020

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
5BBCAAAF-1AF3-4EF5-842B-6B9C63109036.jpeg

Still Arko strong. Arko good Shark not so good today. The Shark won today’s battle.

Arko August - yet another evening shave

Hot weather, cold lather.

>RazoRock Wunderbar on one of my new Tibam custom Ti handles. They took almost 4 months to catch a flight out of Russia. First use, worth the wait!
>SuperMax Blue Diamond (7). Still cutting, but I'm trying to limit DE blades to a week or 7 uses. Into the bin.
>Arko, stick in mug, lathered by boar in a Captain's Choice heavy copper bowl. A sea of lather!
>Alum, Dickinson's rosewater witch hazel toner, Sudsy Soapery Lemon Rose Chypre AS. Embrace the rose.
View attachment 1140586
Close two pass shave, skipped the touch up. Cheeks were smoothed to dolphin standard. I saved a little roughness on the neck to encourage shaving before noon!

I embraced my rose scented after products. Nope, I still don't care for rose. Arko, though, 11 shaves in August, and loving it.

Maybe a side-by-side Arko v Tabac shave next. Change it up a little and get those two seasoned competitors into the ring.
Really dig that handle. Well done 👍

Well, gentlemen, I done messed up. I used Proraso Green today. The thing is, it’s been hot around these here parts the last few days. Damn hot. And I don’t have AC. It was 90 degrees F in my house this morning when I went to shave. I wasn’t about to use a soap that doesn’t have menthol in it. Sorry/not sorry.

I feel I’ve let my Gung Ho brothers down, and I’m willing to take whatever punishment I have coming. Blanket party, tar and feather, keelhaul, whatever.

Let me have it, boys.

Well, gentlemen, I done messed up. I used Proraso Green today. The thing is, it’s been hot around these here parts the last few days. Damn hot. And I don’t have AC. It was 90 degrees F in my house this morning when I went to shave. I wasn’t about to use a soap that doesn’t have menthol in it. Sorry/not sorry.

I feel I’ve let my Gung Ho brothers down, and I’m willing to take whatever punishment I have coming. Blanket party, tar and feather, keelhaul, whatever.

Let me have it, boys.
No punishment. Merely a correction of the record.

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7

ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski

gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej
ponykilr
1959tony

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg
Tanuki
RumpleBearskin
sdimartino

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

Today's shave was Colonel Conk Lime with the Colonels boar brush, with a Viking Blade Adjustable TTO with a Lord blade on the face and the Leaf Shave triple edge with Astra blades for the head, topped off with Arko Platinum aftershave and a dollop of Duke Cannon face lotion. Also used the trimmer on the goatee and mustache. Back to the Arko soap tomorrow

Attachments

• Shave 816.jpg
    Shave 816.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Let me have it, boys.
I feel for you. That kind of heat is just stifling. Mentholate away! 👍

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Let me have it, boys.
This is what I did just before Arko August, and I plan on doing this after it's over once in awhile:

I rubbed half my face with Arko, the other with some "Brut" bath soap! Made for a PHENOMENAL shaving experience.

I'll bet you could do something similar with a mentholated soap.

I will give you a personal dispensation as the official self-appointed "King of Arkoland" due to the fact that I am blessed with central AC!

So let it be written, so let it be done!

(That'll be 25 cents, please donate it to the charity of your choice!)

Let me have it, boys.
I know what you mean, the heat is not good...
Here, on the west coast of Sweden we have had between 83 and 85 degrees F (in the shadow) the last few days and I just hate the warmth and the sun...
But, I have started with cold water shaving and I don't feel the need for menthol, I just rinse continously with cold water on my face and on my razor.

Today was a very nice and cold shave, Arko stick, Fatip Grande OC and Lord Platinum.
For AS I used LEA balm with menthol.

I know what you mean, the heat is not good...
Here, on the west coast of Sweden we have had between 83 and 85 degrees F (in the shadow) the last few days and I just hate the warmth and the sun...
But, I have started with cold water shaving and I don't feel the need for menthol, I just rinse continously with cold water on my face and on my razor.

Today was a very nice and cold shave, Arko stick, Fatip Grande OC and Lord Platinum.
For AS I used LEA balm with menthol.
How does cold water shaving work? All my life the general consensus has been that you have to use hot water or risk getting tons of nicks and weepers.

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7

ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski

gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej
ponykilr
1959tony
epipeman

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg
Tanuki
RumpleBearskin
sdimartino

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

How does cold water shaving work? All my life the general consensus has been that you have to use hot water or risk getting tons of nicks and weepers.
Cold water shaving is just like warm water shaving, except you use cold water ;)

All jokes aside, I got the idea when I read some threads in the B&B forum.
With cold water I do get a lot less nicks and cuts, and a lot less irritation.
The skin will not be as "spongy" as with warm water wich will get less nicks and cuts.
I don't know if the stubble is different with the cold water but it feels better when I shave, like there is more audible feedback and no drag.

I wash my face with cold water (when I started I did not like the cold water at all, but you get used to it) and Laurel soap.
And I rinse with cold water while my brush is in the cup with cold water.
Arko is an excellent soap for cold water, I do get a very nice lather, even better than I do with warm water.
Between the passes I rinse both my face and razor with cold water and when I'm done I rinse a last time with cold water.

Every shave feels better since I started with this.
A while ago I tried warm water again but I think I'll stick to cold water :)

Shave: 9
8-16-2020
Soap: ARKO stick in a repurposed deodorant.
Lemongrass added to the lather. It was a test. Not my favorite.
Razor: Karve Brass F
Blade: Sharko platinum (2) again, NO BITES! Small amount of neck irritation. Not the sharpest blade, but it is comfortable.
Brush: Zenith Scrubby
Alum: Aluna
3 pass some touch up DFS.​

Cold water shaving is just like warm water shaving, except you use cold water ;)

All jokes aside, I got the idea when I read some threads in the B&B forum.
With cold water I do get a lot less nicks and cuts, and a lot less irritation.
The skin will not be as "spongy" as with warm water wich will get less nicks and cuts.
I don't know if the stubble is different with the cold water but it feels better when I shave, like there is more audible feedback and no drag.

I wash my face with cold water (when I started I did not like the cold water at all, but you get used to it) and Laurel soap.
And I rinse with cold water while my brush is in the cup with cold water.
Arko is an excellent soap for cold water, I do get a very nice lather, even better than I do with warm water.
Between the passes I rinse both my face and razor with cold water and when I'm done I rinse a last time with cold water.

Every shave feels better since I started with this.
A while ago I tried warm water again but I think I'll stick to cold water :)
I always thought you need to have warm to hot water for a shave but when I shave under my nose I can't rinse the razor with hot water because the razor will burn my skin. So I started using cold water to rinse the razor before shaving under my nose and that led to rinsing the razor with cold water all the time. I really like it. I still soak my brushes in pretty warm water but now I like the feel of a razor rinsed in cold water on my skin especially when the weather is hot. And I love cold-water rinsing when I'm done shaving just before I use an after shave. i think today I'll try cold water for soaking the brush and for lathering 👍

Top Bottom