What's new

August 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Permasharps are one of those blades which work beautifully in some razors but also bite from shave 1 in others.

I stopped trying to figure it out, rather make the identification and move forward.

@Balin
Perhaps the razor you last used the blades in is different ?
It is for sure. I think I used the game changer .68 SB last time. I was on vacation and I was a rookie. I hated Nacets back then to and now they are in my top 5.

Still in, 1 day of growth and managing to post on the day of shave

August GRUME : 18
2023 GRUYERE : 137

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Platinum (2)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Arko
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Alum match , Aqua Velva , Proraso White Balm

Been a few month without using the Aqua Velva, boy is it underwhelming after several weeks of Bootleg Green Freeze

SOTD AUGUST 30th
AUGUST 2023 GRUME
ARKO AUGUST 2023

Hello friends

Lazy day around here. I ended up leaving the shave for the night. And it was good. Arko stick, the unfailing Green Cult 2.0 plate II, Semogue 1305, Gillette Silver Blue (4) and Pinaud VIBR. Bright!

Joining us on this journey is a wonderful duo: Bill Evan & Lee Konitz.

Rating: 9,5

Have a nice week and great shaves.
❤️🪒

9711872B-C0AF-47E1-AAEB-1BA415E4F59B.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg

Still in.

Definitely better results from the Lab Blue tonight. The wetter lather helped. I definitely didn't help my skin recover from yesterday, but I don't think I made it worse. But I wanted to really do a full shave including cleanup and get a feel for the combo when it's not the first shave on these blades.

I still think after shave one I'll skip ATG on my neck, but that's fine.

I'm managing to stretch my remaining Incorporeal a bit further than I thought, which is good. I like it

Overall, good shave, bit un-comfy on my neck but that was by choice in pursuit of results and information.

Day 30, 96.8% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Switched over to SV70 for a change. An excellent shave, but got a blade-burnt chin from too thorough a clean-up.

Date31.08.2023
365 daily shaves
243/365
GRUME August
31/28
SOTMC (All Aventus August)
31/31
Blade Biter’s Archive05/32

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLGillette Black (13)DVH Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - As much as I like all my razors this one is special and very dear to me. And it always delivers a top notch shave.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Would you believe it I'm still in and going to make it.
I've been very busy with work.
Still been shaving everyday.
Started to use what I call my go to setup now.
Which is the TGS Syntesi with any of my goto blades(Platinum, 7 o'clock greens, Nacet, Permasharp, Timor, Rapira platinum lux)
Right now using a 7 O'clock Green.
Maybe I'll throw a Feather in as my next blade to see how it handles.
Went back to the RazoRock Lime Pre.
Then I've been using Edwin Jagger Lime Pomegranate puck on the scuttle with my Fine 20mm brush.
Been getting nothing but DFS!

Congrats to all who made it this month and as always have some DFS!

Last shave of the month and decided to go for an Aventus themed shave to end the August GRUME

Tonight’s shave was
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty (9)
Blade: Personna Platinum
Brush: Boti Captain SHD Silvertip Badger
Soap: Fine Platinum classic puck

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Fine Platinum AS Splash
Fine Platinum ASB

What a wonderful shave to close out August GRUME. All of the elements combined this even to yield a truly wonderful shave. No claret and zero irritation at all just a BBS face 👌👌👌. Now onto September GRUME fellas. Look after yourselves and your loved ones and see you in September GRUME 😎😎😎😎
IMG_0328.jpeg

Still in, see y'all next month!

Razor: 1948-1950 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Gillette 7 O' Clock yellow (8)
Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive Horse
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Last shave with this blade as it started to tug.

I am now officially out of DE blades, I'll use my SE's and Injectors for the rest of the GRUYERE. I may pick up some DE blades in January but then again I may not.

The final day of Arko August - An Arko-Boarko-Loco shave.
Still in August GRUME & GRUYERE...September GRUME starts tomorrow!

PXL_20230831_214900793.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Hey Guys
It has been another great month of GRUMEing. I started the month with Arko and thought it fitting to end the month with it.
I got DFS+ results and look forward to seeing most of y'all tomorrow in the September thread.
Thanks Brandon, @FoolishMortal for Arko August and keeping us Grume-ites going.
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:
I know some folks are already in September but this is my last shave of August so...
Still In.

Same gear as yesterday, lather was particularly good today. Both white and fluffy AND slick.
The Lab Blue was still kicking, but did get retired so I can start the new month fresh. Honestly, it didn't feel much different from yesterday, so that gives me hope that as long as I don't go ATG on my neck after the first use, I can get five or even six shaves with them. My neck is definitely not bad, just not smooth. I can lightly feel the fuzz XTG, but that's just fine. Honestly, I think that's gonna be an area I just agree to take it easy on most of the time in the interest of comfort. Luckily my jaw line is more cooperative even though the hair runs the same direction.

August GRUME was very good for me. It helped me make a lot of stupid mistakes without getting side tracked by ordering the thought of the moment on how to fix my mistakes. I had to focus on the real cause which was mostly me. I worked through most of my samples, but have at least a shave or two left in all of them so the ones I particularly liked I can still use now and then. I also eliminated some from consideration that I thought had a lot of promise. The final choice of what to order a full tub of was not any of the ones I expected a month ago. The blade choice was obviously one of the top options, but a couple of the other top contenders surprised me.

Cheers to everyone, see you in September.

Top Bottom