Lord Super Stainless (3)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo G5A 24mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: no
Lather: ARKO!, bowl-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Aqua Velva
Post-shave: warm shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Close, comfortable, and quick (for me) shave. Enjoyed it tremendously.

@mgweatherly

I don’t mean to open a can of worms here. It’s just that there have been so many TSA issues with so called permissible safty razors without blades. I’ve had issues with it and I’ve read where others have as well. Apparently it is at the discretion of the TSA agent.

There is a thread titled

“New rules for US airport security”​

If you care to read what happened to me it’s in the following.

I have traveled a lot with a carry on DE. Most of the time, I would buy blades at my destination. Mostly VDH and yes threw them out before heading back. One time I mailed them back. They are not my preferred blade, so they are still not used.
Even though it's not against TSA to carry on a DE razor without the blade, I did have a problem. As I was going threw TSA the scanner showed a DE razor in my carry on. The agent couldn't tell if the blade was in it or not. So there we go off to the side for the search. They dragged all my stuff out until they found it. The agent searching didn't know how to work a TTO. That was until I told him. He was nervous about it. After that, I started taking a three-piece. I would take the razor apart. Put the handle in my Dopp bag. The other two pieces went in my pocket. That way, when I emptied my pockets into the bowl, my razor was easily seen. I never had a problem with that.
In this case, it is probably cheaper to take a cart. At that time, I was all gung ho over only DE.

31/08 ARKO
Photo-0127.jpg

Pre-shave: Avon shave oil, followed by hot flannel/wash cloth, more oil and a concentrated amount of ARKO rubbed into stubble by hand before brush lathering and shaving, Brush: homemade synthetic, Razor Weishi 9306 (with my own customized black finish on handle), Blade Feather (one and done use) A/S: Boots Bay Rum BBS

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7064.jpeg

Arko August Shave Number Thirty and last shave for Arko August.​

Arko Boarko to finish off Arko August 2023. I used my Semogue Galahad Boar to whip up a gorgeous Arko lather and the Rhino Stainless blade performed well. I had a good shave today with no weepers, blood letting or red blotches. A good start to a Thursday morning and the last day of Winter here in Australia.

Arko August 2023
Shave 31

We made it. 31 days on one soap and a boar brush, is hard for me. I like variety. Arko makes it easier than most.

Thank you
@FoolishMortal for hosting.
Shame to all my fellow B&B brothers and sisters.

E9AEC91B-4312-439B-A0E4-2F531F3996F6.jpeg

Below shows my usage of the Arko stick in oz.

6DB1E90D-7439-4001-ACF2-526053F014AE.jpeg

C6C74761-5730-4CF6-A706-305E1A02D8C4.jpeg

“It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.”

But I fear that I will be heading right back down the rabbit hole.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

It's Arko! August and High Efficiency Summer 2023​

Razor: Gillette Senator
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: Arko!
ASL: Aqua Velva
Balm: Nivea Sensitive
Gillette__Senator[1].jpg

What an awesome mid-morning last shave of ARKO! August.
The star of the show ARKO!, wonderfully creamy and slick, was outshined by my Gillette Senator that I just snagged off the bay for a song.

Fully functional with a slight bow in the teeth that looks like it came that way from the factory, I gave it a good cleaning and Simichrome rubdown, then decided to give it a little dance before sending it off to Back Roads Gold to let Chris work his magic on it.
The shave was comfortable and close enough on the first pass that a second pass really wasn't needed, but the bowl full of ARKO! called out to my Shavemac, and the Senator obliged.
The Witch hazel felt slick, the Aqua Velva begged for two splashes, and the Nivea balm was very soothing.

Have a Good One

~doug~

Arko August

31/8/23

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Arko Stick
Brush - Omega 10077
Razor - Gillette Slim Twist
Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword India (4)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Denim Original

And with that, that's the month finished. 23 shaves in the month, used an Arko stick for 20 of those shaves. The other 3 were Arko Hydrate. I used a few boars for the majority of the shaves, with only a synth for a few outings.

I really enjoyed the combination of Omega 10077 and Arko Stick. A time tested classic combination.

It's been a pleasure to participate in this year's Arko! August. I'm sure I will be back again for next year's one, but in the meantime there are a few other themed months ahead of us. Tabac October which is also Open Comb razor month too right? Then there's there DecemBOAR too.

Maybe I will see some of the fine faces from here in one of those threads?

Anyway, it's a pleasure to participate in this thread, and I wish you gents well.

23 08 31.jpg

Final Arko August shave of 2023, number 16 (rated 6.75/10) using:
  • Razor: 1960s Schick Krona
  • Blade: 1960s Schick Krona Plus Stainless (4)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft (superb)
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema wash
  • Soap: Arko! (wonderful)
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by 1965 vintage Old Spice splash and Stirling Spice balm (excellent)
PXL_20230831_145653886.jpg
A confusingly terrible experience with the Krona Plus Stainless blade on its fourth shave in which it just tugged and tugged without cutting much. It was so bad I switched for the second pass to an Astra SP (not my favorite) that was better, but not by much. Is there something wrong with my Krona razor? I have gotten wonderful shaves from it in the past.

I rescued the shave by doing a third pass with my High Proof razor loaded with a Perma Sharp blade, which I consider only to be average. Oh well, onward and upward toward SEptember for my next shave on Saturday.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

:badger:

ARKO! MAKEITUPASYOUGOGO

Arko!-Boarko-Turko-Soapo-Blado-Showersoapo-not-all-the-time-tho

My first ARKO! August is in the books!

Removed the remaining Arko! from the red bowl and pressed it into the silver bowl of Jikoryen, and used that today with an usused Omega Boar brush.

Thanks to @FoolishMortal for putting this theme on!

Had another Turkish shave soap lather festival today, along with a good, but rushed, head and face shave.

860CC31D-85E6-4E3F-B922-CB35262B1E23.jpeg 7C697A99-E557-4F81-BB4A-4F7E7679DDB9.jpeg 12091256-53DC-43E4-8DC0-D3636ADC25E6.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@TOVT ,

Your razor is floating atop the ARKO! and not sinking to the bottom of the bowl.

According to some religious zealots of my culture’s past, your safety razor may be in league with the Devil.

That might not speak a word against or toward your character, but I fear it means your safety razor has really good taste in music.

230831 SotD.JPG

31 ARKO! August 2023 - ARKO!/Boarko/Techo on my Scalpo!

Gillette Post War Ball End Tech (A1/1955)
Gillette Nacet (1st Use)
Omega 10049 Pro Boar
ARKO!
Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Last day of ARKO! August with thirteen head shaves in total. It was a great month learning how to best lather ARKO! and also thirteen more uses of the Omega 49 which continued to improve and become a favorite brush. Another extremely close, comfortable two pass head shave on three days growth.

I also want to thank @FoolishMortal for sponsoring ARKO! August!

The final day of Arko August - An Arko-Boarko-Loco shave.
Still in August GRUME & GRUYERE...September GRUME starts tomorrow!

PXL_20230831_214900793.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Hey Guys
It has been another great month of GRUMEing. I started the month with Arko and thought it fitting to end the month with it.
I got DFS+ results and look forward to seeing most of y'all tomorrow in the September thread.
Thanks Brandon, @FoolishMortal for keeping both threads active!

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Top Bottom