What's new

August 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Sometimes this activity confuses me.
I used the Lab Blue again today, but not as smooth today and by the time I went ATG on my neck, definitely not impressed. Yet I recall that LAST TIME I used these I had the same reaction and the third use was better. So I'm going to go look that up and also try this again tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe the secret will be that for shave two with a blade I just don't go ATG on the neck, or maybe I do my neck first and then go to cheeks rather than doing complete passes for my whole face.

I used some more of my Incorporeal sample today, not much left but I think it's got another shave in it. If that turns out to be the combination that doesn't work I'm not sure which product will get cut. I really like them both. I'm not about to do one and done with Lab Blue's though. Maybe the trick is to cork it between shave one and two? lol that makes no sense to me, but *** do I know?

Incorporeal was, as my memory and notes told me, very nice. lathers nicely. Goes on nicely, protects and stays slick. Just a good soap without the scent aspect.

Day 29, 93.5% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

This blade is a lot smoother on shave 2, like most of the ones I like. Got a better and closer neck shave than yesterday.

I used the Lab Blue again today, but not as smooth today and by the time I went ATG on my neck, definitely not impressed.

That's not what I would expect either.

One-and-done wouldn't work for me. Shaves 2 .. 7 are normally good, and replacement at 7 is because it has done a week. They are usually OK for a few more. You can "boil a frog" with blades though... I used to make overpriced cartridges last a month. :facep:

Still in, another great shave with a freshly sharpened Feather (yup, that one). A couple of small weepers after trying a bit too hard yesterday with my Ever-Ready. A 9.85/10.
As I approach 350 shaves on a single blade, I realize that part of what keeps it going is persistence and improvement in technique. It’s got me curious about the first blades I used that I was binning after 4 shaves. I still have a few of those blades left, so I am thinking about pulling out one and returning to the same razor to see if I can easily get more than four shaves. (Razor: Schick Krona, Blade: Generic Pharmacy).

Still in GRUME & GRUYERE
Tallow Tabac Tuesday!!!

1693366734208.jpeg

Hey Guys
Twice I have tested negative for Covid but I am still regaining strength.
This combo was excellent with a capital E...9.6...the blade is past its peak.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Day 29, 93.5% complete

This blade is a lot smoother on shave 2, like most of the ones I like. Got a better and closer neck shave than yesterday.

One-and-done wouldn't work for me. Shaves 2 .. 7 are normally good, and replacement at 7 is because it has done a week. They are usually OK for a few more. You can "boil a frog" with blades though... I used to make overpriced cartridges last a month. :facep:
90% sure it's lather related, like last time, and most times I'm not happy with something related to my shave. lol
I didn't do a super wet lather, and by the time I got to third pass on my neck I'm guessing it was a bit less wet than the blade was happy with. My fault. So, tomorrow I'll make sure I've got a nice wet lather and see how things go.

👍👍👍 For me personally, ATG on my lower neck is not worth the possible irritation.
I'm getting there. I can't get as close, but I can get close enough without it. Luckily, I don't generally get irritation from it these days, but it's not comfy. That's one thing that had me so excited about the Labs, when it goes right they're actually pretty comfy for that pass and it's such a treat. But, if I only get that for one shave per blade, that's probably still worth it. Not that I'd toss the blade, but I'd skip that part of the ATG pass until the next fresh blade.

Date30.08.2023
365 daily shaves
242/365
GRUME August
30/28
SOTMC (All Aventus August)
30/31
Blade Biter’s Archive05/32

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Tech prewarGillette Black (11)Omega Roma
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Alpha Men 2.0Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG TU
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Summary - an amazing shave with this old timer (thanks Mitch! @mgweatherly). Easy to use, comfortable shaving history.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Day 29, 93.5% complete

Are the Lab Blues the same as the Personna Platinums ? Was just wondering and if they are not where would one be able to purchase some of these from ?

Are the Lab Blues the same as the Personna Platinums ? Was just wondering and if they are not where would one be able to purchase some of these from ?
No connection actually, they're different companies even.
The real question is whether Personna Comfort Coated are actually Lab Blues or not, I've heard it both ways from quality sources.

If the Comfort Coated are the same as the Labs, Maggard Razors has them. If not, Razor Emporium, Razor Blade Club and others offer the Lab Blues. Keep in mind, "Lab Blue" is actually not the official name and is what we in the shaving community refer to them as. They don't have an advertising name, and packaging can vary, which is why it's confusing. Israeli and German Personna's are a different brand, different product...

Shave #18
- Still In -

• Grooming Dept's Rainforest Pre-Shave
  • ARKO ! - SOTM
  • Semogue 830
  • Thiers Issard Sheffield - 6/8
  • Muhle R89
  • Gillette Rubie - (3)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Stirling's Glacial Citron Splash
Another great shave today - As August winds down, I'm always a bit saddened to shelve a soap that I've gotten dialed in through the month. While I love my Zenith and Omega boars, the Semogue 830 has leap frogged them all and is pretty head to head with my SOC boars for top spot; only noticeable difference being the handle.

With that said, it's always a welcome opportunity to bring in a different soap into the process...

full

Still out!

Not that I am suggestible, but I see @JAHE using Permasharps this week and @lasta 's blade exchange included a tuck so I gave them a go!

It's been almost 2 years since I tried them. They mangled my face 2 years ago but today they were great. I guess my technique has improved in 2 years 😂.

View attachment 1710077
Permasharps are one of those blades which work beautifully in some razors but also bite from shave 1 in others.

I stopped trying to figure it out, rather make the identification and move forward.

@Balin
Perhaps the razor you last used the blades in is different ?

Top Bottom