What's new

Arko August 2020

Shaving with an Arko stick daily during a 3 week road trip is an Arko record for me. I didn't use any alum, aftershave, or moisturizer/balms and didn't experience any dryness issues. I will note:
1) getting the last traces of Arko off is hard. Alum helps clean my face of soap at home.
2) humidity ranged from extremely high to quite low. I was often dehydrated, but I was drinking over a gallon of fluids a day. I was working physically when not driving, and outdoors when not in the car. Pumping the water through my skin probably made a big contribution to keeping it healthy.
3) I'm covered in bug bites, but none on my face and the front of my neck. Was it the Arko?

LOL, there is more than one person who claims that Arko keeps mosquitoes and other critters away from you.

Razor: Gillette 1956 B2 Red Tip, SuperSpeed.
Blade: Gillete 7 o'clock SharpEdge (1).
Soap: Arko Tin.
Brush: Omega 10081 Chrome.
Aftershave splash: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Aftershave Balm: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic.

Arko August Shave number 5. For me part of the enjoyment of wet shaving is using different products and tools. However in recent years I've dialed down my razor use to a few razors, particularly Maggard's EJ89 clone, the V3 and the newer Razrock Gamechangers 0.84. So my variety has come using different software and brushes.

Now that I've committed to mostly using Arko this month, I'll have to change other parts of my shave. So I present the wonderful Gillette Red Tip superspeed. Marked B2, indicating that it was manufactured in the second quarter of 1956, it is alleged to be slightly more aggresive than the standard superspeed razors. I don't know if I can tell the difference, or it just that their is a thicker, heavier handle than the standard SS.

I'll bet I haven't used this razor in at least a year, but loaded with a good blade, it provides a wonderful, clean shave.

On a side note, Stirling's Margaritas in the Arctic is a wonderful complimentary scent to the lemony, citronella scent of Arko.

SOTD_20200808.jpg

Shave #8-

9.3/10- very, very close shave- just shy of BBS, but one downstroke on my chin scraped a smidge.

Razor: Ever-Ready Natural Angle, i.e. the British Gem Featherweight version
. This was the first time I've used this razor. I'll try the Gem version sometime this week.
Blade: Gem PTFE (3)
Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Yaqi Space-handle Badger, enough lather left over for another pass.
AS: Tabac

0808201042a.jpg

8/Arko/2020 - Arko August shave #8
PXL_20200808_161049529-01.jpeg

Wade & Butcher FBU
Mojo Handcrafts
Arko stick
Old Spice Classic

Arko never disappointed and neither does the FBU. Tremendous pleasure in the shave today.

Side note: With the stick I face lather. But this 28mm brush holds so much lather... After completing three passes I decided to just work what was left in the brush in my lather bowl. The result is what you see in the picture. Probably enough for another 2 or maybe even 3 passes.

8-08 sotd.jpg

Shavemac 2-band 24/50
Arko stick (2, pucked)
GC84 w/Med Prep blade
Lucky Tiger aftershave
Comme des Garcons Vettiveru

Hmmm...not a step forward with the GC84 today. The Rockwell gives such a close, smooth shave for me without a whole lot of thought or work. This...it's good, but I'm not patient when I already get incredible shaves as is.

The Shavemac was great, as always. Soft tips but with some tip presence and minimal gelling. It made mountains of lather from Arko. I do think I prefer boars with this soap, though.

Seventh use in August is a test drive of my new Game Changer:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage Oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Boots boar
Razor: Razorock GC.68P
Blade: Astra SP, #5
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

That went very well. It is lighter than the Rockwell (100g vs 120g), and the head feels more agile because of the thinner baseplate.

The performance and blade feel are similar to the Rockwell with R5 plate, which is the result I was looking for.

I got a good first shave without pushing my luck. It's prettier, but it's too early to judge whether this contender can beat the Rockwell on performance.

The head design ("upside down" locator studs) turned out to be easier to load with a blade than to unload. I usually remove and dry blades between shaves, but perhaps not with this one.

I used Arko this evening

First I used it to face lather with 7 different new knots to test them and start the break in process andget rid of any funky animal smell

I then took a quick shower and since I already had it our used it to shave with

My wife loathes it 😢

Unfortunately apparently so does my dog

He sniffed my face, would look at me funny, move around, sniff my face, look at me funny... on repeat for at least 5 full minutes 😂

Seventh use in August is a test drive of my new Game Changer:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage Oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Boots boar
Razor: Razorock GC.68P
Blade: Astra SP, #5
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

That went very well. It is lighter than the Rockwell (100g vs 120g), and the head feels more agile because of the thinner baseplate.

The performance and blade feel are similar to the Rockwell with R5 plate, which is the result I was looking for.

I got a good first shave without pushing my luck. It's prettier, but it's too early to judge whether this contender can beat the Rockwell on performance.

The head design ("upside down" locator studs) turned out to be easier to load with a blade than to unload. I usually remove and dry blades between shaves, but perhaps not with this one.
Wow that’s a big difference in weight between the GC and the Rockwell.

I used Arko this evening

First I used it to face lather with 7 different new knots to test them and start the break in process andget rid of any funky animal smell

I then took a quick shower and since I already had it our used it to shave with

My wife loathes it 😢

Unfortunately apparently so does my dog

He sniffed my face, would look at me funny, move around, sniff my face, look at me funny... on repeat for at least 5 full minutes 😂
They’ll grow to like it watch 😆

Top Bottom