What's new

Arko August 2020

If the irritation continues, I will switch to a different soap/cream.
I was getting a post-shave "sting" with it (like some other real soaps), which I put down to alkali sensitivity. It has subsided during the week, so your skin might get used to it too.

Sixth use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage Oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Boots boar
Razors:
1) Rockwell 6S, R5, Blade: Astra SP, #4
2) Black Plastic Wilkinson, Blade: Personna 74, #13
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Got a nice easy DFS again with this setup.

Game Changer .68, "expected 7 Aug", was a no-show.

I was getting a post-shave "sting" with it (like some other real soaps), which I put down to alkali sensitivity. It has subsided during the week, so your skin might get used to it too.

Sixth use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage Oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Boots boar
Razors:
1) Rockwell 6S, R5, Blade: Astra SP, #4
2) Black Plastic Wilkinson, Blade: Personna 74, #13
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Got a nice easy DFS again with this setup.

Game Changer .68, "expected 7 Aug", was a no-show.
You shave everyday? Seems to get worse if I shave every day. I skipped today.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
BF5D4667-04A3-4C04-AEEE-EDE5DDE308C8.jpeg

Today’s Arko shave. Used the trusty Progress Vulfix mixed Badger and Boar brush full of water, no shakey today. Luxurious is the word that comes to mind.

Bam! Week one done. Diggin' all the posts.

Today I used: '65 Gillette SS with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, an Omega 10049 boar brush and the Arko puck.

It's clear to me that the stick is much slicker than the puck at this point. The puck ain't shabby, but it's just not the same in my opinion. I will certainly continue to use it though, just my two centavos.

C6258D6A-F861-4268-B645-F84487F5EA74.jpeg
9D13E423-3936-4E9A-B703-E0CBA8BB6CCB.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
ARKO-SHARKO Day 3

70s Super Speed
Shark stainless (3)
Simpson Eagle 3 Pure
ARKO
Vitos Aftershaving
CeraVe moisturizer

True to form, after a week of Arko the call goes out for the moisturizing cream. It'll probably be a daily thing for the rest of Arko August and then probably for a week afterwards. That soap really draws all the moisture out of my face.

ARKO-SHARKO Day 3

70s Super Speed
Shark stainless (3)
Simpson Eagle 3 Pure
ARKO
Vitos Aftershaving
CeraVe moisturizer

True to form, after a week of Arko the call goes out for the moisturizing cream. It'll probably be a daily thing for the rest of Arko August and then probably for a week afterwards. That soap really draws all the moisture out of my face.
ARKO-SHARKO Day 3

70s Super Speed
Shark stainless (3)
Simpson Eagle 3 Pure
ARKO
Vitos Aftershaving
CeraVe moisturizer

That's strange Palmolive stick did that to my, that's why I started using Arko way back when. I guess it's different skin types, I also use Arko Oily Cream after I apply aftershave. That stuff would rehydrate anything.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That's strange Palmolive stick did that to my, that's why I started using Arko way back when. I guess it's different skin types, I also use Arko Oily Cream after I apply aftershave. That stuff would rehydrate anything.
I suspect I might not rinse my face enough. Some soaps cling to the skin more than others perhaps. I also should drink more water and see what happens. In fact, that's probably the issue right there, and the Arko just exposes the fact that I'm not sufficiently hydrated.

I suspect I might not rinse my face enough. Some soaps cling to the skin more than others perhaps. I also should drink more water and see what happens. In fact, that's probably the issue right there, and the Arko just exposes the fact that I'm not sufficiently hydrated.
I never thought of that one.
Environmental issues may be a factor too.
In Alberta and to a lesser extent in the Yukon, it's very very dry, more so in the winter, so any soap would dry your skin out, that's when I discovered Arko Oily Cream.
In the UK we are blessed with a very humid climate, but humidity fluctuations may be a factor in how dry your skin gets

SotD 8:

EJ DE89 barley
Treet Dura Sharp yellow (10)
Tony Forsyth Tuxedo 24mm
Arko puck (used as a stick)
Epsilon Blue

Almost the same setup as yesterday. Arko works great for me. It is not a soap that I would use exclusively from start to finish, but using it for a (hot Summer) month is enjoyable. The blade is still going strong, I usually get 14-17 shaves out of these. It will be reused next Sunday, as tomorrow starts the Shark-week. It will be fun!

Have a great day! :)

Last edited:
I've been using either Nivea Balm + an aftershave, or Nivea 2-Phase Lotion, and that seems to be keeping it under control, but I know what you mean.

I feel your pain, my Karve was also a no-show....
Hope yours shows up soon.

I got my GC .68 today, and visually it is a treat.

Washed it, and loaded it with an Astra SP, #4. We'll see how it shapes up against the reigning champion, Rockwell 6S R5, later.

I had my doubts about the "Bulldog" handle, but it has some serious knurling on it, and feels like a shiny edition of the 6S handle.

Arko/8:2020

1st Shave

Soap: ARKO
Brush : Omega PRO 48
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: GSB
Post Shave: Thayers Lavander WH
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Lime

This morning shave was wonderful.
Arko is so creamy if it came n an array of scents it would rule the wet shaving world!

Gung-ho August all the way.
Arko Deodorant Stick.
There is a random amount of soap in a makeshift spent travel-sized deodorant stick. The original idea was to have enough to make it threw a week-long trip. I put it on the scales. Forty-seven grams was the gross weight. I don't know how much Arko is making up those forty-seven grams. If I 3017 it. I should be able to reweigh the empty stick. That should give my usage. There is a backup supply just in case I need it for the rest of august.
I snapped a picture of the repurposed stinky stick. Exciting stuff!!!! :c9: I don't usually shave every day. But I do have a new razor on the way. So that could change.

image.jpeg (1).jpg

Shave: 4
8-8-2020
Soap: ARKO in a deodorant stick 46 grams 1.58oz gross weight
Razor: Fatip Piccolo oc
Blade: Dorco st-301 (55)
Brush: Badger
Aftershave: Ghost Town Barber
3 pass some touch up DFS​

True to form, after a week of Arko the call goes out for the moisturizing cream.
I guess it's different skin types

Shaving with an Arko stick daily during a 3 week road trip is an Arko record for me. I didn't use any alum, aftershave, or moisturizer/balms and didn't experience any dryness issues. I will note:
1) getting the last traces of Arko off is hard. Alum helps clean my face of soap at home.
2) humidity ranged from extremely high to quite low. I was often dehydrated, but I was drinking over a gallon of fluids a day. I was working physically when not driving, and outdoors when not in the car. Pumping the water through my skin probably made a big contribution to keeping it healthy.
3) I'm covered in bug bites, but none on my face and the front of my neck. Was it the Arko?

Shaving with an Arko stick daily during a 3 week road trip is an Arko record for me. I didn't use any alum, aftershave, or moisturizer/balms and didn't experience any dryness issues. I will note:
1) getting the last traces of Arko off is hard. Alum helps clean my face of soap at home.
2) humidity ranged from extremely high to quite low. I was often dehydrated, but I was drinking over a gallon of fluids a day. I was working physically when not driving, and outdoors when not in the car. Pumping the water through my skin probably made a big contribution to keeping it healthy.
3) I'm covered in bug bites, but none on my face and the front of my neck. Was it the Arko?
Probably. The lemon 🍋 fragrance deters skeeters and black flies usually

Top Bottom