What's new

DocHoliday0831's journey into the abyss.

3/13/18 (SS 15)

Well after a really long day of handling the department by myself (help was attending a funeral) I decided to tempt the God’s of shaving and relax with the SS tonight.

CBL Vetiver Rosemary preshave
Stirling Tuxedo brush
CC sandstorm bowl
Proraso sb Cypress and Vetiver
Feather SS
New Feather Pro Super
Alum
Thayer’s
Nivea
Fine fresh vetiver splash

Well let me first say that I didn’t know shaving the top off of an old cut without knowing it was even possible until tonight. Trust me it’s possible. One of the old cuts from when I started trying the shavette opened up somehow and I don’t even remember there being a scar in that spot. Otherwise I was nicely CCS but I think this blade will get better with age.

Well it’s late and I need sleep after today. Hope all have a great Wednesday thanks for reading. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/19/18 (SS 15)

wow night #2 is in the books for SWMBO being gone. Kids finally asleep and my spa time could commence.

Took a wild hair thought today and decided to give the MMOC another go with a fresh PTFE blade, keeping Kate on reserve with a fresh feather pro just in case.

SV Tundra Artica got the soap call as well as the aftershave and I Coloniali balm. CBL Lavender Chill is the preshave and making the sudsy stuff is the Semogue Boar Brush.

7EE91A02-D104-409E-8D9E-F0034114DC55.jpeg

The results I must say rivaled every bit of smoothness I get from a shave with Kate. Not sure why I all of a sudden can get this smooth h from a GEM though. I must have improved in technique or finally got a decent blade. It also could be that the SV soap just makes any razor look stellar.

thanks for letting me rant. Have a wonderful Tuesday folks and prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends.

3/19/18 (SS 15)

wow night #2 is in the books for SWMBO being gone. Kids finally asleep and my spa time could commence.

Took a wild hair thought today and decided to give the MMOC another go with a fresh PTFE blade, keeping Kate on reserve with a fresh feather pro just in case.

SV Tundra Artica got the soap call as well as the aftershave and I Coloniali balm. CBL Lavender Chill is the preshave and making the sudsy stuff is the Semogue Boar Brush.

7EE91A02-D104-409E-8D9E-F0034114DC55.jpeg

The results I must say rivaled every bit of smoothness I get from a shave with Kate. Not sure why I all of a sudden can get this smooth h from a GEM though. I must have improved in technique or finally got a decent blade. It also could be that the SV soap just makes any razor look stellar.

thanks for letting me rant. Have a wonderful Tuesday folks and prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends.

proxy.php

The pic I messed up posting

Well this seems like a most excellent idea and I believe I will start journaling my shave experiences and learning here. As a new wet shaver I have only had 5 shaves without carts and canned goop. Follow me if you dare but it may be a wild and bumpy ride straight down the abyss of a rabbit hole that has become my newest obsession!

I LOVE Journaling mine too

My journey started simply because I was sick of having bumps and irritated skin after a shave and a short Internet search later I had found a book for kindle and this forum. I mentioned it to my wife and she got me a bunch of stuff for Father's Day to begin the journey. I got a Vikings blade Godfather razor and a Gentleman Jon razor. Also with the Gentleman Jon was a badger brush, a puck of sandlewood soap, some blades, and a lather bowl. She got me a stand, a blade sampler, a chiseled face soap sampler, and some preshave oil. After the first shave she noticed that my skin was softer and less irritated than normal. Thus my journey began researching more soaps, brushes, razors, and aftershave products. Not convinced entirely that the pre-shave oil does anything for me at this point but it may still find an occasional use here and there. Tonight my next post will kick off the keeping track of products and processes I use simply to help me keep track because my 6 year old reminds me regularly that "my rememberer is broken".

I stopped using pre-shave oils, they make a mess and compromise my brushes.

7/5/17 4th installment of my madness

Pre-three butters oil
Brush-Gentleman Jon Badger
Razor-gentleman Jon
Blade-wilkinson sword black writing (3)
Soap-Chiseled Face "Santa Paula" not really sure what exactly I smell in this one as it wasn't one of the top 3-4 from the sample pack I got. Kinda woody and spicy up front will see how it changes with lather.
Post-1--alum
Post-2--Queen Bee Apothecary "So Dirty" after shave splash. I really am becoming quite fond of these products found from a NC maker on a popular website. They do have their own site I understand but I have no idea what the address is.

Very little change after lathering the soap. Very woody, may have a small citrus undertone and some spicy scent I don't recognize under the main woody note.

Shave was smooth and comfortable. One cut on the edge of my bottom lip.

Badger brush held the lather like it was stingy tonight not sure what the deal is with that but I'm really starting to think I need a few more boar brushes and maybe a synthetic and a better grade badger.

Still really like the wilkinson blade but may change it after another use.

The razor at this point I like both the gentleman Jon and the Vikings blade Godfather both equally.
Could be using pre-shave oils has compromised your brush. It did that to mine.

3/22/18 (SS 15)

After another extremely long day I settled in for my spa time. Tonight’s shave was sponsored 90% of the way by a mail call I received. The only parts not in it were hardware all software/frags were part of it.

the common players tonight are the

CC sandstorm bowl
Smattayu Padauk cashmere
PTFE gem blade (3)

not used in a while player

Gem featherlight

new players for the team

WSP Gaelic Tweed
Black Ship Phillips’s Fougere splash
Catie’s Bubbles “LaTerre Verte” cologne

image.jpg

First look a a WSP soap and the tin is identical to the Asylum soaps I have. Also the texture and scent strength are extremely similar to the Asylum soaps. The splash seems a bit mild in the jar and the cologne seems like it is similar to the WWSC colognes as far as strength of scent. Will be more in depth tomorrow as far as the staying power and such.

While not as smooth as the shaves with the Operator this would easily be a super SE for my travel kit. Now I just have to find some blades for the GEMs that are PTFE. A couple of pharmacies locally carry blades but I’m not sure they are coated.

This soap is almost identical to the Asylum soaps in performance as well, the only difference I see is the ingredients of the Asylum contains tallow this Gaelic tweed WSP does not list tallow.

Did i I say yet I really really really like this Padauk cashmere brush Eric made for me.

The aftershave from Black Ship has a definitely fresh new clean Fougere scent to me and the Catie’s bubbles frag is a little older and darker Fougere. For me the two are complimentary of each other not clashing or blending.

Thanks for following the mental rambling of a doctor in feeble health. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends have a Fantastic Friday.

proxy.php

Sometimes I hate my phone. This was supposed to be in the first post

3/22/18 (SS 15)

After another extremely long day I settled in for my spa time. Tonight’s shave was sponsored 90% of the way by a mail call I received. The only parts not in it were hardware all software/frags were part of it.

the common players tonight are the

CC sandstorm bowl
Smattayu Padauk cashmere
PTFE gem blade (3)

not used in a while player

Gem featherlight

new players for the team

WSP Gaelic Tweed
Black Ship Phillips’s Fougere splash
Catie’s Bubbles “LaTerre Verte” cologne

image.jpg

First look a a WSP soap and the tin is identical to the Asylum soaps I have. Also the texture and scent strength are extremely similar to the Asylum soaps. The splash seems a bit mild in the jar and the cologne seems like it is similar to the WWSC colognes as far as strength of scent. Will be more in depth tomorrow as far as the staying power and such.

While not as smooth as the shaves with the Operator this would easily be a super SE for my travel kit. Now I just have to find some blades for the GEMs that are PTFE. A couple of pharmacies locally carry blades but I’m not sure they are coated.

This soap is almost identical to the Asylum soaps in performance as well, the only difference I see is the ingredients of the Asylum contains tallow this Gaelic tweed WSP does not list tallow.

Did i I say yet I really really really like this Padauk cashmere brush Eric made for me.

The aftershave from Black Ship has a definitely fresh new clean Fougere scent to me and the Catie’s bubbles frag is a little older and darker Fougere. For me the two are complimentary of each other not clashing or blending.

Thanks for following the mental rambling of a doctor in feeble health. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends have a Fantastic Friday.

I love Fougere scents.

3/24/18 (SS 15)

Awesome day today as the District Cub Scouting Pinewood Derby race was today. The pack I am part of with my son was the host of the event. We had a decent number of the packs show up and bring their top three racers from each Den. My son is 1st grade which is Tiger Den and he came in third place at our pack level race but finished second overall in the tigers group today.

Then home and find out that both the oldest boy and SWMBO both seem to have sore throats.

Well after all that I jumped at the opportunity to spend a bit of time on me.

Usual suspects:
“Kate” Asylum RX
Brand new Feather Pro
CC magma bowl
Stirling Boar
CBL unscented preshave soap
Thayer’s lavender witch hazel

New players:
Tabac soap and lotion aftershave
CFG Sherlock EdP

SOTD photo

proxy.php

Thanks for reading, and have a Peaceful Palm Sunday my friends prayers and God’s blessings to each of you.

3/24/18 (SS 15)

Awesome day today as the District Cub Scouting Pinewood Derby race was today. The pack I am part of with my son was the host of the event. We had a decent number of the packs show up and bring their top three racers from each Den. My son is 1st grade which is Tiger Den and he came in third place at our pack level race but finished second overall in the tigers group today.

Then home and find out that both the oldest boy and SWMBO both seem to have sore throats.

Well after all that I jumped at the opportunity to spend a bit of time on me.

Usual suspects:
“Kate” Asylum RX
Brand new Feather Pro
CC magma bowl
Stirling Boar
CBL unscented preshave soap
Thayer’s lavender witch hazel

New players:
Tabac soap and lotion aftershave
CFG Sherlock EdP

SOTD photo

proxy.php

Thanks for reading, and have a Peaceful Palm Sunday my friends prayers and God’s blessings to each of you.

Nice.

4/7/18 (SS 17)

No straight again today as I am way too tired to attempt that kind of concentration. SE razors have become my go to type though and I may end up putting all my DE stuff up for pif or BST at some point. (Anyone who has read this journal to any extent knows which). Today’s entry is photo only for the most part because I am on about hour 16 for a headache. Thanks for reading

proxy.php

4/7/18 (SS 17)

No straight again today as I am way too tired to attempt that kind of concentration. SE razors have become my go to type though and I may end up putting all my DE stuff up for pif or BST at some point. (Anyone who has read this journal to any extent knows which). Today’s entry is photo only for the most part because I am on about hour 16 for a headache. Thanks for reading

proxy.php

I hope you get to feeling better soon with that headache.

Top Bottom