What's new

Blackland Blackbird or Blackbird Ti

Good morning all,

I am a newly addicted wet shaver that jumped down the rabbit hole about 3 months ago after getting a cheap Leponix wet shaving kit for Christmas. Immediately after 3 shaves with the horribly cheap razor that came with the kit, I was hooked and purchased a Merkur 34c due to the high reviews and being a great beginner's DE. I also purchased a Gillette Slim Adjustable on ebay for $20 and loved that until dropping it on tile and the safety bar alignment got screwed up on one side. Knowing eventually I was going to send it to Razor Emporium to get revamped, it has been momentarily retired.

I would like to upgrade from the Merkur 34c as I am starting to see why people say it is an incredibly smooth, but not the most efficient shave. A step further, I am starting to notice irritation from going back and doing multiple passes, clean ups, etc., to make up for the efficiency. After some advice on Reddit, I was told the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is the best, most cost-effective major upgrade.. alas they are sold out of the thawt razor in almost every handle, but especially the one that I want everywhere.

Finally, over the weekend I accidentally stumbled upon some Blackland Blackbird Youtube videos and immediately started my research on that and now it has become the expensive apple of my eye. What are everybody's experiences with the Blackbird, is the Titanium worth the premium price? Anybody with experience with both the Merkur 34c and Blackbird, how much of an upgrade is it? Just general thoughts as well..

Thanks in advance!

Good morning all,

I am a newly addicted wet shaver that jumped down the rabbit hole about 3 months ago after getting a cheap Leponix wet shaving kit for Christmas. Immediately after 3 shaves with the horribly cheap razor that came with the kit, I was hooked and purchased a Merkur 34c due to the high reviews and being a great beginner's DE. I also purchased a Gillette Slim Adjustable on ebay for $20 and loved that until dropping it on tile and the safety bar alignment got screwed up on one side. Knowing eventually I was going to send it to Razor Emporium to get revamped, it has been momentarily retired.

I would like to upgrade from the Merkur 34c as I am starting to see why people say it is an incredibly smooth, but not the most efficient shave. A step further, I am starting to notice irritation from going back and doing multiple passes, clean ups, etc., to make up for the efficiency. After some advice on Reddit, I was told the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is the best, most cost-effective major upgrade.. alas they are sold out of the thawt razor in almost every handle, but especially the one that I want everywhere.

Finally, over the weekend I accidentally stumbled upon some Blackland Blackbird Youtube videos and immediately started my research on that and now it has become the expensive apple of my eye. What are everybody's experiences with the Blackbird, is the Titanium worth the premium price? Anybody with experience with both the Merkur 34c and Blackbird, how much of an upgrade is it? Just general thoughts as well..

Thanks in advance!
First of all, welcome to the forum... I applaud you on the steps you are taking in the small time frame you've been using a DE and only wish I'd have been thinking like you when I first started out as it would've saved me a lot of heartache and time to reach my grail razor, the Ti Blackbird, although my 1st upgraded razor was a Ti Timeless .95 which I used for almost 3yrs before switching to the Ti BB and haven't looked back being almost 3yrs now with it!! My shave routine is every other day 2 pass BBS that lasts me on average of 16-20hrs which is the major reason I only shave every other day. I would suggest the Ti simply because it just has a different face feel than SS and if you are anything like me, a little extra pressure applied in a few places is much less forgiving versus the SS counterpart. Don't get me wrong though as if you misuse the Blackbird, either version, it will bite you but for the most part I've never had anything but a few weepers to show for it. Do keep in mind the investment is practically risk free as Shane @Blackland Razors offers a 30day money back warranty just in case the razor doesn't work out for you, so now you know you have to order one!! :lol: Just playing here but do all the reading you can and ask as many questions as you need and I'm sure you won't regret your decision....

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hello, I would suggest you take a look around here in the DE subforum, lots of razors are there between Merkur 34C and Blackbird.

I would rate the Blackbird SB as a bit more efficien than the Game Changer .84P and both both in efficiency and aggression above the Merkur 34c.

I suggest the polished or matte finish for the Blackbird. If it is worth the extra money to you is a question only you can answer after trying.

Italian Barber still has Game Changer .84P with quite a selection of handles. In Europe they are also available, even more readily than the Blackbird. I am not aware of either being available in Nepal, unfortunately.

Be cautious of things you read on Reddit as the users are quite biased. The blackbird is a fine razor for every day use and its right in the middle between comfort and efficiency. If you're not sure if you like the bird i would not recommend buying a Ti right away unless you have disposable funds. The steel itself is not going to make a difference in the shave quality. Some people just like light weight razors and others enjoy some weight. Only you can decide, but regretfully, trying different razors to determine what you like costs money. Blackland usually has sales around black Friday and with a new customer discount on top of that, so i'd recommend you hold off until then, if possible- if you end up not liking the razor you could sell it for basically exactly what you paid if you buy it discounted. I know they just released an adjustable called the Osprey but i don't know much about it.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Going from the 34C to the Blackbird is a BIG step up, IMO. The Blackbird Lite may make more sense. You can buy it with both plates if you think you’ll need the higher efficiency in the future. I agree with @Barbarian80 that you should hold of on Ti due to the price point. If you want to upgrade later, you can sell the SS easily on here.

Hello, I would suggest you take a look around here in the DE subforum, lots of razors are there between Merkur 34C and Blackbird.

I would rate the Blackbird SB as a bit more efficien than the Game Changer .84P and both both in efficiency and aggression above the Merkur 34c.

I suggest the polished or matte finish for the Blackbird. If it is worth the extra money to you is a question only you can answer after trying.

Italian Barber still has Game Changer .84P with quite a selection of handles. In Europe they are also available, even more readily than the Blackbird. I am not aware of either being available in Nepal, unfortunately.
Awesome, I will certainly continue to scour the forums. Yes, the finish decision on items is always the tricky one.. you just don't want to get it here and be disappointed in your choice! I think I am leaning towards the polished in Titanium, or Satin for SS.

Mmm, how recently have you checked Italian Barber? I just checked this morning and for the SB version they only have the base plate available right now - sold out of all handles. The OC they have a handful of handles, but I have never used an OC and don't want to start with an already more aggressive razor than I am used to plus the OC making it more aggressive.

What are your personal favorite razors?

If you can comfortably ride the cap, then maybe you don't need the lite plate. If you prefer going neutral (keeping safety bar on skin), then lite plate are milder and more forgiving.

Titanium vs stainless steel is more about weight and your personal preference.
(more like "would you mind spending almost double of the price for half the weight", well, I blind bought Ti BB and now I feel every stainless/bronze razors are too heavy and aluminum razors too light .........)

Polished finish is about aesthetic, the satin Ti BB (razor head) feels perfectly smooth on skin.

Whatever option you choose I don't think you'll regret, BB is a unique razor.

First of all, welcome to the forum... I applaud you on the steps you are taking in the small time frame you've been using a DE and only wish I'd have been thinking like you when I first started out as it would've saved me a lot of heartache and time to reach my grail razor, the Ti Blackbird, although my 1st upgraded razor was a Ti Timeless .95 which I used for almost 3yrs before switching to the Ti BB and haven't looked back being almost 3yrs now with it!! My shave routine is every other day 2 pass BBS that lasts me on average of 16-20hrs which is the major reason I only shave every other day. I would suggest the Ti simply because it just has a different face feel than SS and if you are anything like me, a little extra pressure applied in a few places is much less forgiving versus the SS counterpart. Don't get me wrong though as if you misuse the Blackbird, either version, it will bite you but for the most part I've never had anything but a few weepers to show for it. Do keep in mind the investment is practically risk free as Shane @Blackland Razors offers a 30day money back warranty just in case the razor doesn't work out for you, so now you know you have to order one!! :lol: Just playing here but do all the reading you can and ask as many questions as you need and I'm sure you won't regret your decision....
Thank you! I have just realized at my age (only 33) that if I save money on a razor now (Game Changer), I will inevitably realize that I should just spend the money on the really nice razor (BB).. I have become such a buy once, cry once consumer. Thus I do a ton of research into what I buy... even my brushes, I realize any brush will work, anybody has incredible premium badger knots.. but I cut out the middle man and got a Grizzly Bay and Chisel and Hound because I know eventually I will pick one of those up anyways.. now I am set on brushes between those two, a PAA synthetic and a Chubby 2 sovereign. The razor is the next major upgrade and I want to do it once and be done with it for some time, plus with the Shop Pay payment plans, it has become much more affordable for big purchases such as this - thus the fact that the Titanium is even in consideration, as I can pay a large chunk up front, then pay off the rest in interest free installments.

The other problem, I am an avid golfer, fisherman, and meat smoker.. so wet shaving is by far my cheapest hobby which has made the deep dive that much more stressful on my wife, and more fun for me!

I had heard about Shane's 30 day warranty.. which is essentially why I am allowing you to be a bad influence on me for this decision!

Did you mean that the Ti is more forgiving than the SS? Also, do you think it is drastically more forgiving? That was kind of the reasoning behind getting the bundle, as I figure if I struggle with the standard base plate at first, the Lite plate will be a better bridge gap. What was your learning curve with the BB as far as finding the angle, did you pick it up rather quickly, or did it take a few rough shaves to get it down?

Thank you for all of your advice!

If you can comfortably ride the cap, then maybe you don't need the lite plate. If you prefer going neutral (keeping safety bar on skin), then lite plate are milder and more forgiving.

Titanium vs stainless steel is more about weight and your personal preference.
(more like "would you mind spending almost double of the price for half the weight", well, I blind bought Ti BB and now I feel every stainless/bronze razors are too heavy and aluminum razors too light .........)

Polished finish is about aesthetic, the satin Ti BB (razor head) feels perfectly smooth on skin.

Whatever option you choose I don't think you'll regret, BB is a unique razor.
Thank you for your advice! I think what you described is kind of more my technique anyways, typically, if I feel my angle is off I always start with the cap flat on my face and work the angle from there.. the trouble is the Merkur has almost zero blade feel so it is harder to dial in with different razors thus why I realize the need to upgrade. So I believe what you're describing would work for me.. but as you mentioned, the lite plate would be a nice buffer if I do struggle. Interesting to hear that you may never stray from titanium again, I am happy for your face in that regard, but sympathize for your wallet!

Going from the 34C to the Blackbird is a BIG step up, IMO. The Blackbird Lite may make more sense. You can buy it with both plates if you think you’ll need the higher efficiency in the future. I agree with @Barbarian80 that you should hold of on Ti due to the price point. If you want to upgrade later, you can sell the SS easily on here.
Thank you for your response! I totally agree with you, I think the bundle makes a lot of sense because it gives me the Lite plate in case I struggle with the standard plate... I agree with the dramatic price point of the Titanium.. only reason it is even in consideration is because they take Shop Pay and I can pay for a large chunk up front then pay off the balance in interest free installments, so essentially I can pay what I would for the SS and then pay off the Titanium interest free. Just want to make sure I buy once, cry once.

Be cautious of things you read on Reddit as the users are quite biased. The blackbird is a fine razor for every day use and its right in the middle between comfort and efficiency. If you're not sure if you like the bird i would not recommend buying a Ti right away unless you have disposable funds. The steel itself is not going to make a difference in the shave quality. Some people just like light weight razors and others enjoy some weight. Only you can decide, but regretfully, trying different razors to determine what you like costs money. Blackland usually has sales around black Friday and with a new customer discount on top of that, so i'd recommend you hold off until then, if possible- if you end up not liking the razor you could sell it for basically exactly what you paid if you buy it discounted. I know they just released an adjustable called the Osprey but i don't know much about it.
Yes, Reddit is an interesting place to say the least.. I thought about the Osprey since it is adjustable and in the same range as the BB Ti.. however, I feel like I want to dial in my technique with a traditional first before enjoying all of the benefits of an adjustable. I have also seen a few bad bad experiences with the Osprey. If I went adjustable, I may go the Rex Supply Co Konsul, but the reviews and reputation of the BB have been too favorable to ignore.

Thank you for the tips about their sales, and you are very right, I could always sell the razor and upgrade.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have had three Blackbirds. Stainless, Brass, and Ti. And I do prefer a heavier razor. But Ti version is quite good. It’s the only Ti razor I have even remotely liked. It also seemed to shave closer than the other two. Which might be in my head only.

I have had all of the razors mentioned here, and the Blackbird is in another higher class than the rest. Although I don’t put it quite as high as a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. But it’s up there. I eventually sold all of mine as I have a Blackland Tradere OC which I like more. And of course the Wolfs are tops in my rotation. But the fact that I sold them does not detract from how awesome all of the Blackland razors are. If I were to buy another one, and I just might, it would most likely be the Stainless version with the longer handle.

Good luck in the rabbit hole. 😃

Good morning all,

Thanks in advance!
Buy both, use for 21 days, return the one you dislike for refund.

I have had three Blackbirds. Stainless, Brass, and Ti. And I do prefer a heavier razor. But Ti version is quite good. It’s the only Ti razor I have even remotely liked. It also seemed to shave closer than the other two. Which might be in my head only.

I have had all of the razors mentioned here, and the Blackbird is in another higher class than the rest. Although I don’t put it quite as high as a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. But it’s up there. I eventually sold all of mine as I have a Blackland Tradere OC which I like more. And of course the Wolfs are tops in my rotation. But the fact that I sold them does not detract from how awesome all of the Blackland razors are. If I were to buy another one, and I just might, it would most likely be the Stainless version with the longer handle.

Good luck in the rabbit hole. 😃
Two reactions, thank you and no thank you... I hadn't heard of Wolfman Razors and just ventured to look them up.. just what I needed another incredibly well-crafted, high quality, high priced contender. They look GORGEOUS! I can understand why it would be hard to taken them off of their throne.

Thank you for the advice! Any reason why you would choose the stainless? Just cost-effectiveness?

If sticker shock is giving you pause I'd say go with the BrassBird - half the cost of titanium and if you love it you can upgrade with confidence.

Ti, satin finish, both base plates. The only thing left is long or short handle. I have brass, ss, and Ti in SB and OC. My favorite is the Ti OC satin finish.

The Blackbird is a blade forward razor and requires a light touch. That might be difficult to maintain for a beginner. Maybe the Lite version would be better for a daily driver.

Last edited:

You seem to be familiar with some of Razorock's offerings. Do you know how the blackbird SB compares to the Lupo .72 SB in terms of blade feel and efficiency ?

Top Bottom