What's new

Blackland Blackbird or Blackbird Ti

We do have some Lite plates in brass still. But we’ve discontinued brass and have stopped offering it as a standard part of our lineup. We’re moving to a drop model and will release small batches periodically instead of having brass always available.

Thank you for the update and for the wonderful razors.

Just pulled the trigger on the Lite baseplate.

Mmm, I see this thread is still going alive and well. I appreciate all of the feedback from everybody, it has been very well received and noted!

I am going to wait on getting the Blackbird, I think it is best for me to focus on my technique in the interim and get consistently good.

Currently, I purchased the Game Changer SB .84 at many people's recommendation... while waiting for the GC to come in, I learned that the Muhle R41 head also fits on the GC handle, so I bought it on amazon for $20 to see how terrifying it really was in person.

To be honest, the Muhle R41 has become my favorite and go to razor. It is so efficient and smooth, I am not sure why people are afraid of it. I rarely bleed past a few weepers, and typically shave once/day or every other day... I just still don't have the angle completely dialed in - sometimes I have a BBS unbelievably smooth shave with it, other times it feels like I am scraping the head vs letting it glide, others I am too heavily weighted on the cap.. but it has been awesome.

Does anybody that has the Muhle R41 and BB have a comparison for the two?

I too will promote consideration of the SS Lupo series. Upon purchasing and using the Lupo DC (open comb .72 on one side, safety bar .95 on the other), I ended up selling a Timeless polished SS 95OC, and my Blackbirds (SS OC & SB). The Lupo is the most agile razor I know, and with the DC version the options abound. Sometimes I ride the bar/comb, sometimes "neutral", sometimes I ride the cap (carefully). Sometimes 72OC exclusive, sometimes... you get it I'm sure. I also have a Lupo 95OC which is even more efficient, but if I could keep only one razor, it would be my Lupo DC.

View attachment 1811717View attachment 1811718
Can this be used at a shallow angle? I can't shave steep as my face gets irritated and red. I never knew this exsisted and am now intrigued. Is it super aggressive or on the medium spectrum? I'll have to really look into this. I'm also looking into possibly trying a ti blackbird at somepoint.

Can this be used at a shallow angle? I can't shave steep as my face gets irritated and red. I never knew this exsisted and am now intrigued. Is it super aggressive or on the medium spectrum? I'll have to really look into this. I'm also looking into possibly trying a ti blackbird at somepoint.
I have used the Lupo DC both shallow and steep, and have settled in on truly neutral as the best angle for my face with this razor, which by the way has become my exclusive user for quite a few months now, only occasionally being interrupted for an individual shave here or there by it's big brother Lupo .95OC.

I have used the Lupo DC both shallow and steep, and have settled in on truly neutral as the best angle for my face with this razor, which by the way has become my exclusive user for quite a few months now, only occasionally being interrupted for an individual shave here or there by it's big brother Lupo .95OC.
Thanks for the reply sir. If I'm ever fortune to purchase one, I will share my thoughts. I'm currently still looking into the TI blackbird and ti osprey.

First, let me say welcome.

I'm surprised that the Razorock Lupo .72 hasn't been suggested - or perhaps it was and I missed it. A nice bump up the efficiency ladder from the 34c and just enough blade feel to see if that's your thing. Gives you some testing ground while you wait for the BB Titanium to restock. I prefer the Lupo series over the Gamechanger for that very reason... blade feel but still smooth. Others may differ and that's fine. If you prefer a lighter weight razor, stick a Timeless (or similar) Titanium handle on the Lupo and your golden.

My progression went something like 34HD for a few months, then quite a few vintage, Gamechanger 68 and then 84, next Lupo 72 and the Lupo 95 when that plate came out. Also throw in some nice higher end purchases like Wolfman, Blackbird and plenty of mid-range purchases such as Karve, etc.

As for the Blackbird, be prepared to spend some time with it. For some, it jells instantly but for others like me it takes quite a number of shaves to adjust. For myself, not the blade feel which I don't feel is over bearing perhaps due to the small gap, but rather the technique required. I've used the machined Titanium version, Stainless polished and the Satin Ti which I just sold so I could jump on the polished ti pre-order.
I actually perceive the polished stainless feels slightly smoother but again, I prefer lighter razors, hence my decision for the polished ti version. Best of both worlds but quite a large pill to swallow money wise.

Most of all, have fun with the journey.:thumbsup:

I'm curious actually, how do the blackbird and Lupo 72 compare to each other ? Which has more blade feel ? Which has more efficiency ?

I'm curious actually, how do the blackbird and Lupo 72 compare to each other ? Which has more blade feel ? Which has more efficiency ?
I've had the 'Bird in both SB and OC. My only 72 Lupo is the OC side of my Lupo DC. Both Blackbirds had more blade feel. I need to grab another Blackbird some day, but the Lupo immediately won me over. I may be in the minority here, but I got more efficient shaves with the extremely agile Lupo. But that was relatively early in my wet shaving journey, and I definitely would like to give the Blackbird another shot now.

I've had the 'Bird in both SB and OC. My only 72 Lupo is the OC side of my Lupo DC. Both Blackbirds had more blade feel. I need to grab another Blackbird some day, but the Lupo immediately won me over. I may be in the minority here, but I got more efficient shaves with the extremely agile Lupo. But that was relatively early in my wet shaving journey, and I definitely would like to give the Blackbird another shot now.

Interesting thanks for the response. I've developed an interest for the Blackbird, really like the design but I don't know if my skin would agree with it. For example I've shaved with the Lupo 72, GameChanger 84 and Edwin Jagger 3one6 which are all medium razors and had success with all of them but when I tried the Lupo 95 I found it a bit too much for my skin. It worked to shave every 2 or 3 days but it was too much for daily shaving (which I do).

Interesting thanks for the response. I've developed an interest for the Blackbird, really like the design but I don't know if my skin would agree with it. For example I've shaved with the Lupo 72, GameChanger 84 and Edwin Jagger 3one6 which are all medium razors and had success with all of them but when I tried the Lupo 95 I found it a bit too much for my skin. It worked to shave every 2 or 3 days but it was too much for daily shaving (which I do).
One thing I do recall from my year or so of shaving with the Blackbird is it will actually cut whiskers at a remarkable range of shave angles. I ended up selling the safety bar version rather quickly as I much preferred the 'Bird in open comb (I also favor OC's on my Lupo's). I can every-day-shave with my Lupo 95OC, but prefer to do so with the Lupo DC. First pass with the 72OC side, second pass with the 95SB side. Usually done after 2.

I have a GC84P and it's great. I like 316 marine grade razors with plenty of knurling so the Blackbird seems less premium to me despite the higher price.

Maybe you'd be a better candidate for the Lite plate instead of the regular. Shane does offer the ability to return anything you buy from him within 30 days if it doesn't suit you!!

should hold of on Ti due to the price point. If you want to upgrade later, you can sell the SS easily on here.
This is exactly where I am at the moment. I get great shaves from the SS version that Ti seems like a jump in price without necessary a similar jump in effectiveness. Thanks for the feedback! Really helps.
Does anybody that has the Muhle R41 and BB have a comparison for the two?
I do and they are nothing alike. Each capable of delivering extent shaves. What currently sets the R41 apart - for me - is that if I wasn’t really really close (marble close) the R41 is the winner. But with a very very very slim margin. The BB in the other hand usually feels smoother despite the large gap and increase in blade exposure.

Great choice for now and concentrate on technique development!

Enjoy!

Top Bottom