What's new

Blackland Blackbird or Blackbird Ti

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wow, which Wolfman did you get? This is all such great stuff!

I have seen Paladin brushes, but on first pass, they are not the sexiest.. can I ask what makes them so incredible? I have a Grizzly Bay (v23 fanchurian) and a Chisel and Hound (v22 fanchurian) for my badger brushes and think they're incredible. How do the paladins compare, or what makes them so good? I am very curious now.

Mmm, good to know about the stainless! You have certainly caused me to reconsider a little. Thank you so much!
I got the WR2 1.15 SB in stainless first, and it’s remained the undisputed champion in my den. I had purchased a bunch more Wolfmans up to 1.55 gap. They were all amazing. But the 1.15 has the best combo of efficiency and maximum luxurious comfort.

The Paladin brushes just feel amazing on my face. There may be other awesome looking brushes out there. But the face feel of the Paladin is what got me hooked. Soft. But not quite gel-tip soft. A bit of scrub. And it has some good backbone. I just love it. They’re not for everyone. But I stopped looking at any other badgers after getting a couple Paladins. And sold all of my other natural brushes. All of them.

Regarding the commentary about the Razorock razors…. The Game Changer 84p is wonderful. I had one for many years. Right from its first run. Smooth and efficient. I prefer the SB over the OC. I find that the GC OC is a bit rougher than the equivalent SB gap, but offers no more efficiency for me. I have had a large number of GC plates, and the 84p is my favorite by far.

The Lupo 95 is a terrific razor. It kind of kicked the GC and the Mamba razors to the curb. It ramped up the efficiency factor by quite a bit for me, while remaining very comfortable. It has a nice amount of blade feel, which I like. But it never feels like it’s going to bite. A nice controlled and effective shave.

Quite honestly, the RR stainless offerings are all excellent. The are well made, and look great. They have brought some interesting designs to the table, which have been thoroughly imitated by yaqi and the other knockoff vendors. So they must have done something right. If I had never heard of Wolfman or Charcoal Goods or Blackland razors, I could have been happy using a GC or Lupo for the rest of my days. But that cat was let out of the bag, and there’s no going back.

The Lupo 95 is the only RR razor that can hang with the big boys for me. It is most comparable to the WR2 and the Blackbird. It has blade feel and efficiency. They even have a Lupo 127 now, but I have not tried it yet. A while back I did a comparison test between all of my mid tier razors. The Lupo, GC, Flexi, Flexi OC, Progress, and Pearl Hammer, among others. The Lupo slayed them all. And I sold all the rest. I am in the middle of a big downsizing because the misses and I are nomads now. Hundreds of razors doesn’t fit that lifestyle any more. So the testing was needed and the Lupo prevailed.

Lastly, as I mentioned before, the Blackbird is in another class above all of those mid tier razors. The fit, the finish, the shave dynamics, are all a cut above. So make sure you factor that into the equation as well. And the Ti version does seem to shave better despite (or because of) the lighter weight. But I enjoyed the Ti version less due to my preference for heavy razors, even though it shaved me closer. It’s really a lot to think about. It may be worthwhile to spend the extra coin now to save yourself from trying a dozen more razors before you get there. The Blackbird is a RAD killer for so many. But like some, I thoroughly enjoyed working my way through a huge number of razors. It was fun! And this is a hobby for a lot of us. So you do you, and enjoy the journey.

And as always, these are strictly my personal opinions. So ymmv.

I too will promote consideration of the SS Lupo series. Upon purchasing and using the Lupo DC (open comb .72 on one side, safety bar .95 on the other), I ended up selling a Timeless polished SS 95OC, and my Blackbirds (SS OC & SB). The Lupo is the most agile razor I know, and with the DC version the options abound. Sometimes I ride the bar/comb, sometimes "neutral", sometimes I ride the cap (carefully). Sometimes 72OC exclusive, sometimes... you get it I'm sure. I also have a Lupo 95OC which is even more efficient, but if I could keep only one razor, it would be my Lupo DC.

IMG_8662.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg

I do not get the big deal over Ti v/s Stainless, or Brass. Maybe the heavier weight razor has the PLUS of not having to be hard handed. At recent Wet Shave Meetup, I was looking at some Aluminum Razor by Karve, honestly the light weight was a turn off. The SS and Brass felt like I was holding a tool in my hand.

Did you mean that the Ti is more forgiving than the SS? Also, do you think it is drastically more forgiving? That was kind of the reasoning behind getting the bundle, as I figure if I struggle with the standard base plate at first, the Lite plate will be a better bridge gap. What was your learning curve with the BB as far as finding the angle, did you pick it up rather quickly, or did it take a few rough shaves to get it down?
Yes, the Ti is much more forgiving than the SS as even Shane put it earlier... I have been known for being a little heavy handed and at times overshaving and to me the Ti has saved me from being bitten on more than one occasion!! As to the timeframe it took me to get on with the Ti Blackbird, it was instantanius... I knew from the 1st shave it was my grail razor and made the Timeless very expendable and it went to someone that uses it regularly. I think the thing that sold me was how easy it was to find the shave angle because its pretty mixed up how many use a steep or shallow angle with a BB where I found the 1st angle of the top cap was the best fit for me and it just feels natural. I think Shane said it was in the 30 degree area which has been pointed out for years as the prefered angle for most to shave at to cause the least irritation...

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I do not get the big deal over Ti v/s Stainless, or Brass. Maybe the heavier weight razor has the PLUS of not having to be hard handed. At recent Wet Shave Meetup, I was looking at some Aluminum Razor by Karve, honestly the light weight was a turn off. The SS and Brass felt like I was holding a tool in my hand.
I did not buy into the whole "Ti is best" argument either. Not one bit. But I had several members here that I highly respect preach the Ti Bird Gospel, and after I sold my Brass Bird, I decided I had to find out for myself. I had previously not met a single Ti razor I liked. I primarily enjoy quite heavy razors, and Ti is the opposite of that. But I had to do it for BOSC Science. So I bought a Ti Bird and had at it. Much to my surprise, it did shave better, and closer, then the SS and Brass versions. At least that was the real perception I had of the situation. Still, I did not enjoy shaving with the light weight Ti Bird, so after I had my fill of it.... many months of rigorous testing... off it went.

I did not buy into the whole "Ti is best" argument either. Not one bit. But I had several members here that I highly respect preach the Ti Bird Gospel, and after I sold my Brass Bird, I decided I had to find out for myself. I had previously not met a single Ti razor I liked. I primarily enjoy quite heavy razors, and Ti is the opposite of that. But I had to do it for BOSC Science. So I bought a Ti Bird and had at it. Much to my surprise, it did shave better, and closer, then the SS and Brass versions. At least that was the real perception I had of the situation. Still, I did not enjoy shaving with the light weight Ti Bird, so after I had my fill of it.... many months of rigorous testing... off it went.
I share your feelings, I think the same about Ti razors

I'm a new member too, and have been wet shaving since August 2023. I noticed that we have same approach with getting into wet shaving (buy it for life early) and similar gear as well (In order of acquisition: Merkur 34C, Blackbird Ti, and Karve Overlander SS). Maybe my experience will shed some light in choosing the right razor for you.

• Merkur 34C - The razor I started learning wet shaving with. It was defective, where I had to center the top cap while loading the blade and adjust the blade exposure. After three months of use and my technique improving I found it to be too mild for my thick stubble.
I played around with the blade alignment issue of my Merkur 34C and found that I prefer a positive blade exposure more than a neutral/negative one. After extensive research with my newfound preferences, I purchased a Blackbird Ti bundle with Standard & Lite baseplates.

• Blackbird Ti Standard & Lite baseplates - Beautiful razor. The BB Ti standard is very aggressive with a lot of blade feel, whereas the BB Lite is much milder, but still a blade-forward razor. I found that it was more difficult to maintain the optimal shaving angle with the BB Lite. I ride the cap with both baseplates, but I am unable to go against the grain without blood.
The BB Ti Lite was used for daily three pass shaves with & across the grain and using the standard baseplate was for daily two pass shaves or multiple days of beard growth. I love the BB Ti, but the ATG pass needed to much attention. I used it for three months before starting to look for a different razor.

• Karve Overlander SS - When I read a lot about the Overlander I was intrigued by the head geometry and supposed ease of use particularly ATG so I made the purchase. Amazing razor. Is it as efficient as the BB Ti Standard & Lite? No, yet it is so intuitive to use.
I've been using it for almost a month now and it is becoming my daily driver. Not the pretties razor but so smooth ATG and yields bloodless irritation-free autopilot shaves. I'll keep returning to the BB Ti as my technique develops.

Now its about time to explore brushes :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have a lot of the razors talked about here, and I enjoy using them all. Because you seem to be drawn to the BB I would like to pass along one suggestion that I found very helpful. When I got my SS Blackbird I could nor get the smooth shave so many talked about. It wasn’t until Shane talked about the shallow angle this razor was designed for that the razor bloomed for me. It went from a rough shave to a smooth very efficient shave.

I’ve read a number of people saying they wish they would have bought this razor or that brush to begin with because they would have saved a lot of time and expense. For me the only way I know what I know is by trying different razor and brushes. It’s not by reading about other’s opinions. Their opinions have been helpful in leading to a particular razor or brush to try.

I think the thing that sold me was how easy it was to find the shave angle because its pretty mixed up how many use a steep or shallow angle with a BB where I found the 1st angle of the top cap was the best fit for me and it just feels natural. I think Shane said it was in the 30 degree area which has been pointed out for years as the prefered angle for most to shave at to cause the least irritation...
Earlier I tried to describe the angle that is most efficient for me with my Ti Blackbird and I just found a picture that shows exactly what angle I use. I hope this helps others that may be having problems with theirs possibly.
Blackbird angle.jpg

The thing I find with the Blackbird is that is not forgiving if your technique is not on point at all times. You change the angle slightly in the wrong way and you get nicks and irritation. The Lite was not efficient for me and required too many passes. I am trying the standard plate now. Very efficient but it requires a lot of concentration. I am trying to cage that bird. The Lupo 72 and 95 that were recommended are very efficient but way more forgiving IMO. Of course that the razor geometry, your face & stubble and technique will be key to define what suits you best. And finding the right blade! Too many things. Good luck with the hunt

The thing I find with the Blackbird is that is not forgiving if your technique is not on point at all times. You change the angle slightly in the wrong way and you get nicks and irritation.
I have the Blackbird machined with all the plates. Lately I've been using the OC because I shave less often, even every two weeks. I don't know what happened today, but I ended up with three big irritations on my neck. I didn't feel the blade scratching at all but a smooth sensation. So, I really can't explain it... maybe the wrong angle or shaving too close for my sensitive skin...

I have the Blackbird machined with all the plates. Lately I've been using the OC because I shave less often, even every two weeks. I don't know what happened today, but I ended up with three big irritations on my neck. I didn't feel the blade scratching at all but a smooth sensation. So, I really can't explain it... maybe the wrong angle or shaving too close for my sensitive skin...
That's my problem. Lots of irritation in the neck area. I've never had sensitive skin. But with that razor, I can't find the proper technique to shave more comfortably. It is probably the razor I own that shaves the closest. But I enjoy more any other razor I have, even ones that are deemed aggressive. That's why it's important to try razors for yourself, no matter what experience others have.

Last edited:
I agree with you...but it's the first time in a long time that it has happened to me. Lately always smooth shaves with it. One thing I understood though: you always have to be very careful with it.

This may be off topic, but I have a stainless steel Blackbird and like it a lot, but I can’t use it everyday. Two consecutive days is the limit, so I’ve been eyeing the Lite plate. What’s the general consensus on the Lite baseplate? Good for everyday use or no?

This may be off topic, but I have a stainless steel Blackbird and like it a lot, but I can’t use it everyday. Two consecutive days is the limit, so I’ve been eyeing the Lite plate. What’s the general consensus on the Lite baseplate? Good for everyday use or no?
Get the Ti Blackbird and go from there. Get the lite plate ti only if you need it. Ti Blackbird is good for everyday considering you get growth next day. Just my opinion, and YMMV.

My thoughts are, since I have the SS BB (😂), I was considering ordering the Lite baseplate in brass. It would weigh about the same and these old eyes could easily tell the Lite from the regular baseplate at a glance.

But, since this thread is about the Ti BB, I’ll bow out and just flip a coin. Thanks. 👍

My thoughts are, since I have the SS BB (😂), I was considering ordering the Lite baseplate in brass. It would weigh about the same and these old eyes could easily tell the Lite from the regular baseplate at a glance.

But, since this thread is about the Ti BB, I’ll bow out and just flip a coin. Thanks. 👍

I think the Lite is probably going to be perfect for you. You’re exactly who it was designed for - people find the standard Blackbird to be a bit too much razor. The Lite provides about half the blade feel and most of the efficiency of the standard. It’s ideal for daily shaving.

I think the Lite is probably going to be perfect for you. You’re exactly who it was designed for - people find the standard Blackbird to be a bit too much razor. The Lite provides about half the blade feel and most of the efficiency of the standard. It’s ideal for daily shaving.

I noticed I can’t get the full BB Lite in brass. Is the brass Lite baseplate still in stock or is it getting low?

Top Bottom