What's new

DocHoliday0831's journey into the abyss.

Well this seems like a most excellent idea and I believe I will start journaling my shave experiences and learning here. As a new wet shaver I have only had 5 shaves without carts and canned goop. Follow me if you dare but it may be a wild and bumpy ride straight down the abyss of a rabbit hole that has become my newest obsession!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this seems like a most excellent idea and I believe I will start journaling my shave experiences and learning here. As a new wet shaver I have only had 5 shaves without carts and canned goop. Follow me if you dare but it may be a wild and bumpy ride straight down the abyss of a rabbit hole that has become my newest obsession!

Enjoy the journey. [emoji3]

Sent from my phone using some app

My journey started simply because I was sick of having bumps and irritated skin after a shave and a short Internet search later I had found a book for kindle and this forum. I mentioned it to my wife and she got me a bunch of stuff for Father's Day to begin the journey. I got a Vikings blade Godfather razor and a Gentleman Jon razor. Also with the Gentleman Jon was a badger brush, a puck of sandlewood soap, some blades, and a lather bowl. She got me a stand, a blade sampler, a chiseled face soap sampler, and some preshave oil. After the first shave she noticed that my skin was softer and less irritated than normal. Thus my journey began researching more soaps, brushes, razors, and aftershave products. Not convinced entirely that the pre-shave oil does anything for me at this point but it may still find an occasional use here and there. Tonight my next post will kick off the keeping track of products and processes I use simply to help me keep track because my 6 year old reminds me regularly that "my rememberer is broken".

Well tonight my setup is
Three butters beard softener
Col conks lime
Excelsior boar brush
Gentleman Jon razor
Wilkinson sword blade (black writing)
Alum
Queen bee apothecary "so dirty " aftershave spray
Very close and comfortable except the nicks on my chest. Quite fond of the boar brush and the col conks lathers well if I would have used a bit more I might have had enough for three passes without reloading the brush so lesson learned there. Razor is much more manuverable than the vikings blade but lighter so i felt like it wanted pressure but i resisted that urge and was rewarded with a very low amount of burn with the alum. The aftershave is very nice low burn and so far at least a 45 min scent staying power. Overall tonight was successful and smooth!!

Welcome to the journals!
Good read and shave TJ!

Are you shaving your chest or is this some kind of auto correct thing?
Yes started that several years ago when I had a ringworm like rash that the dermatologist gave me instructions to shave before using the cream for a month and a half. Now it gets all itchy if I don't shave it

Well day 2 for the journal
Gentleman Jon razor
Black wilkinson sword blade (day 2)
Three butters preshave oil
Fine American Blend soap
Excelsior boar brush
Alum
Queen Bee Apothecary "Copperhead woods" aftershave lotion

Close and comfortable again. One nick on my neck but it was my own fault readjusting the razor. Soap gave my best lather yet and the aftershave was spot on great scent and feel

Day 3 lets try lots of different things day. lol probably not the smartest decision a fairly new shaver ever made but my setup is
Vikings Blade "The Godfather" razor
Astra superior premium platinum blade
Gentleman Jon sandlewood soap
Gentleman Jon best badger brush
Queen Bee Apothecary "bull head saloon" aftershave spray
Alum

Really really too close I think. Alum set my whole face on fire and then the aftershave burn was nice but extended well after 5 minutes. After calming the burn down my face is smooth and soft but I did notice several nicks in the chin and jaw line areas that normally I haven't had before. Possibly due to not using preshave oil or changing to the astra blade. Don't specifically like or dislike the soap but lather was not even close to as nice as the fine soap or col conks. Possibly due to the brush or maybe just the soap itself is not as good. Overall not a terrible experience getting the closest I've ever gotten but face was noticeably not as comfortable.

Good reads and shaves TJ!

Fine Soaps and After Shaves are great products IMHO!

lets try lots of different things day. lol probably not the smartest decision a fairly new shaver ever made

If you chance more than one thing at a time, it is almost impossible to tell what is not working and what is.

Really really too close I think. Alum set my whole face on fire and then the aftershave burn was nice but extended well after 5 minutes. After calming the burn down my face is smooth and soft but I did notice several nicks in the chin and jaw line areas that normally I haven't had before. Possibly due to not using preshave oil or changing to the astra blade. Don't specifically like or dislike the soap but lather was not even close to as nice as the fine soap or col conks. Possibly due to the brush or maybe just the soap itself is not as good. Overall not a terrible experience getting the closest I've ever gotten but face was noticeably not as comfortable.
You have me rethinking alum. I put it in one of my shopping baskets because I see a lot of people using it but since my neck is always a little raw I'm anticipating a lot of stinging. When I experienced stinging before it was with cologne with alcohol which made the razor burn worse.

You have me rethinking alum. I put it in one of my shopping baskets because I see a lot of people using it but since my neck is always a little raw I'm anticipating a lot of stinging. When I experienced stinging before it was with cologne with alcohol which made the razor burn worse.

I like the alum burn it helps seal nicks and cuts quicker and tells me where I was about too aggressive with the strokes. I guess it isn't for everyone but I've had no razor burn since I started using it

Welcome aboard, TJ. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

1557731042_m.gif

7/5/17 4th installment of my madness

Pre-three butters oil
Brush-Gentleman Jon Badger
Razor-gentleman Jon
Blade-wilkinson sword black writing (3)
Soap-Chiseled Face "Santa Paula" not really sure what exactly I smell in this one as it wasn't one of the top 3-4 from the sample pack I got. Kinda woody and spicy up front will see how it changes with lather.
Post-1--alum
Post-2--Queen Bee Apothecary "So Dirty" after shave splash. I really am becoming quite fond of these products found from a NC maker on a popular website. They do have their own site I understand but I have no idea what the address is.

Very little change after lathering the soap. Very woody, may have a small citrus undertone and some spicy scent I don't recognize under the main woody note.

Shave was smooth and comfortable. One cut on the edge of my bottom lip.

Badger brush held the lather like it was stingy tonight not sure what the deal is with that but I'm really starting to think I need a few more boar brushes and maybe a synthetic and a better grade badger.

Still really like the wilkinson blade but may change it after another use.

The razor at this point I like both the gentleman Jon and the Vikings blade Godfather both equally.

Top Bottom