What's new

Mannic's wetshaving journal

Hello fellow wet shavers,

I'm Manuel from the Netherlands and i started the traditional way of shaving a couple of years ago, first i started whit a starter set, which included a shibusa 2 set from the goodfellas smile, a Muhle R89 whit personna platinum blades and a simpson trafalgar brush. Even after a couple of shaves i was already sucked in the rabbit hole. A couple of month's later i discovered the vintage razors and started to collecting them especially Gillette Tech's and Gem style razors from, Gem, Ever Ready and Star, later i also got a soft spot for swedish vintage razors from, Swing, Swesti and Matador.

I will write my experiences in this great hobby and my shaving log's here in my Journal.

Whit Best Regard's Manuel

Hello fellow wet shavers,

I'm Manuel from the Netherlands and i started the traditional way of shaving a couple of years ago, first i started whit a starter set, which included a shibusa 2 set from the goodfellas smile, a Muhle R89 whit personna platinum blades and a simpson trafalgar brush. Even after a couple of shaves i was already sucked in the rabbit hole. A couple of month's later i discovered the vintage razors and started to collecting them especially Gillette Tech's and Gem style razors from, Gem, Ever Ready and Star, later i also got a soft spot for swedish vintage razors from, Swing, Swesti and Matador.

I will write my experiences in this great hobby and my shaving log's here in my Journal.

Whit Best Regard's Manuel
Welcome and I know that ALL the members here will help you in anyway possible as you continue your shaving journey and give out all sorts of opinions/advice as you continue the descent into the rabbit hole. Cheers!

34oeqo.jpg

💈SOTD: 10-3-24
Soap: LPL Oud Neroli
AS: LPL Oud Neroli
Razor: Gillette FLB Tech SE
Blade: Wizamet SI 1/2 DE (2)
Brush: Semogue Two Face SE

Used my homemade or modified gillette single edge tech again today, still a nice, efficient an fun razor to use.

The oud neroli is the third LPL soap in my collection and what a wonderful scent this is. From the pure soap you mainly smell green a little bitter citrus notes with a slight musky undertone, once lathered up the more sweet woody scent of the oud also comes through. The Aftershave has these notes as well, but has a slightly more powdery scent even a little barbershop like. The quality is again outstanding, very high quality products.

eZy Watermark_10-03-2024_05-00-55-3700PM.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
💈SOTD: 10-3-24
Soap: LPL Oud Neroli
AS: LPL Oud Neroli
Razor: Gillette FLB Tech SE
Blade: Wizamet SI 1/2 DE (2)
Brush: Semogue Two Face SE

Used my homemade or modified gillette single edge tech again today, still a nice, efficient an fun razor to use.

The oud neroli is the third LPL soap in my collection and what a wonderful scent this is. From the pure soap you mainly smell green a little bitter citrus notes with a slight musky undertone, once lathered up the more sweet woody scent of the oud also comes through. The Aftershave has these notes as well, but has a slightly more powdery scent even a little barbershop like. The quality is again outstanding, very high quality products.

View attachment 1810139
I don't have a journal, but I'm a regular around these parts.

Nice to meet you, sir.

:)

lasta

Blade Biter
Welcome to the journals section! A lot of fireworks around these parts!

A few way-points to help you get started (not exclusive, others are quality reading as well!):

Right around your part of the wood, our local accountant, great daily shave tracking although questionable quality choices: A newbie’s journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/

Your northern neighbor, a bit of a hermit/heretic, but occasional crumbs of deep insight: Quest for less technology - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/quest-for-less-technology.638359/

A great first stop, especially for quality one-liners: (Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/slaps-link-to-thread-you-can-fit-so-much-wrong-in-this-journal.584221/

A troubled mind, but a perfect example of someone discovering the essence of quality shaving: Jay21's Journey Journal - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/jay21s-journey-journal.637521/

A more orthodox shaver, great writing style, perfect example of what an "untainted" journal looks like: Beginning to end - my DE journey and search for a RFL - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/beginning-to-end-my-de-journey-and-search-for-a-rfl.638195/

A once well-respected and objective shaving master that has since succumbed to occult life, great example of what the bottom of the rabbit hole looks like: Professor Flanders's Journal of Nerdy Observations and silly camaraderie - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/professor-flanderss-journal-of-nerdy-observations-and-silly-camaraderie.643640/post-12606407

A local watering hole for less shaving related nit bits, selection of the cheapest alcohol anywhere in the world, but they are free and he pours generously: Alum Ladd's Garden Shed - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/alum-ladds-garden-shed.637110/

💈SOTD: 11-3-24
Soap: Ethos Sandalwood
As: Ethos Sandalwood
Razor: Razorock GC 84-P
Blade: Bic Astor (1)
Brush: Vintage Boar

Sandalwood is scent profile that virtually every soapmaker has in its range, and like bay rum the scent varies tremendously from soapmaker to soapmaker, one is spicy the other more sweet etc.

I myself prefer the more natural earthy woody sandalwood versions, and this one from Ethos meets my preference perfectly. When I once smelled real sandalwood, this was a creamy slightly sweet but mostly woody scent, and this ethos does match this very much.

The splash also has an anise-like touch that goes very well with it and is very caring.

The gamechanger remains a very fine razor so easy to use and especially with this Bic Astor blade a very good comfortable and smooth shave.

As a vintage razor enthusiast i sometimes buy old wooden shaving boxes which are assorted with brushes and razors DE or straight or sometimes both, and the brush was part of some box I bought, i gave it a good clean and make fit in a bigger (24mm) boar knot. I also made the handle a little heavier whit some metal beads glued in the handle. The brush has a nice splay and feel already nice and soft.

eZy Watermark_11-03-2024_08-21-44-1630PM.jpeg

💈SOTD: 12-3-24
Soap: Burma Shave
Asb: Nivea Aftershave Balm
Razor: Swing
Blade: Bic Astor (2)
Brush: Semogue Butterscotch SOC

Today a somewhat simple but another good shave, it is an old soap with almost no scent left but the shaving qualities are still good, nice slickness and glide.

This vintage swedish remains perhaps my favorite vintage de razor, blade alignment is just very good, end tabs of the blade fall all the way under the top cap, and just very comfortable and smooth. I especially like this version with the bakelite handle.

The Bic Astor blade was still comfortable and smooth the second time.

eZy Watermark_13-03-2024_12-30-08-3240AM.jpeg

💈SOTD: 13-3-24
Soap: Haslinger Sandelwood
As: 4711 Aftershave
Razor: Ball end Tech
Blade: Bic Astor (3)
Brush: Vie-Long Boar

@Darth Scandalous gave me the idea to took a vintage vie-long for today’s shave. This little boar brush created a nice lather from the almost finished Haslinger Sandelwood. I really like these soaps, they are cheap but they make a very nice and slick lather, and the sandelwood scent is very nice.

A bottle of 4711 aftershave cost in Germany a couple of bucks, bit it actually is very nice an nourishing aftershave, the scent is not long lasting but so comfortable and so nostalgic in this area where i live i know it all my live and one sniff is enough to know its 4711.

This ball end tech is an amazing pairing whit the Bic Astor, smooth and efficient.

eZy Watermark_14-03-2024_12-39-15-7270AM.jpeg

Nice mail call yesterday. Some nice items for a vintage kind of guy i am on shaving gear.

The first box was a lot of some barber shop stuff, but it had some nice item's. A Gillette Slim (G4) in a nice case both in really nice condition. The Superspeed razor is very dirty but i think the plating is in a real nice condition, so whit some elbow grease it could be a nice razor for the collection. The Goodwill box is a nice item as well, little tarnished but this gave it a nice look i think, the razor in the box is a flat bottom new almost no plating left on the handle, and the top cap has also some plate lost, i already have this razor in my collection, so i will pass this forward, or try to replate it myself. The blade sharpener is a nice piece from an unknown brand till today, it is from a Danish manufacture Bello almost unused, and already in my display cabinet.

The Shavemug is a piece from Crabtree and Evelyn from 1991, bought it for about 7 euro's, and it looks prestine.

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

A very nice shave today. SV is a tremendous shave soap, this tundra artica has a nice warmer scent ideal for this time of the year.

This Late Ever Ready from the streamline set is the later model, this is a little milder than the early edition. Paired with a brand new personna ptfe blade and whit an extra spine from an old blade as a shim, the shave was smooth and comfortable.

eZy Watermark_17-03-2024_09-23-33-7510PM.jpeg

I finally picked up a bottle of the KCG face wash soap and i have to admit it is a very nice product, whit a nice scent.

The gold plated Gillette Tech from a Pan Am The President State Room set, is one of the most precious items in my Gillette Tech collection, it was a side catch from a vintage razor lot but man o man i was happy when i find this set in the box. Paired whit a Gillette seven O Clock sharp edge blade it was a nice and efficient shave whit only one miner spot on my chin, this blade has really a sharp edge, i’m not a big fan of the 7 O’clock series blades, but this yellow sharpedge i really like.

The magnificent and comfortable scent of this set from Stirling gave the shave a relaxing touch which i really needed today, my father died a couple of weeks ago and i this was what i needed today to relax my mind.

It really is an amazing hobby we have.

eZy Watermark_18-03-2024_11-02-01-2620PM.jpeg

Top Bottom