What's new

Mannic's wetshaving journal

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I finally picked up a bottle of the KCG face wash soap and i have to admit it is a very nice product, whit a nice scent.

The gold plated Gillette Tech from a Pan Am The President State Room set, is one of the most precious items in my Gillette Tech collection, it was a side catch from a vintage razor lot but man o man i was happy when i find this set in the box. Paired whit a Gillette seven O Clock sharp edge blade it was a nice and efficient shave whit only one miner spot on my chin, this blade has really a sharp edge, i’m not a big fan of the 7 O’clock series blades, but this yellow sharpedge i really like.

The magnificent and comfortable scent of this set from Stirling gave the shave a relaxing touch which i really needed today, my father died a couple of weeks ago and i this was what i needed today to relax my mind.

It really is an amazing hobby we have.

View attachment 1814653
That is, indeed, a beautiful razor.

💈SOTD: 12-3-24
Soap: Burma Shave
Asb: Nivea Aftershave Balm
Razor: Swing
Blade: Bic Astor (2)
Brush: Semogue Butterscotch SOC

Today a somewhat simple but another good shave, it is an old soap with almost no scent left but the shaving qualities are still good, nice slickness and glide.

This vintage swedish remains perhaps my favorite vintage de razor, blade alignment is just very good, end tabs of the blade fall all the way under the top cap, and just very comfortable and smooth. I especially like this version with the bakelite handle.

The Bic Astor blade was still comfortable and smooth the second time.

View attachment 1811442
That is a lovely Swing you have there. There is a rumor that I will soon have one of those in my hand. I cannot wait to test it out.

Last edited:
💈SOTD: 19-3-24
Preshave: KCG Fave Wash
Soap: Razorock Mudder Focker
As: Razorock Mudder Focker
Razor: Razorock GC .84-p
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock yellow (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief 26mm

This is my third gamechanger razor in my traditional wet shaving career so far. The first one was an .68-p that was my first stainless razor and the upgrade daily driver after my first de razor the Mühle R89, sold the gamechanger after i bought an Karve CB daily shave kit as my next daily driver. I sold the gamechanger but regret it and bought another one but not .68 but the .84 and that was even better, but sold that also after a couple of month’s, till i saw a very nice priced one in a Dutch BST group an that is this one. Paired whit this very nice yellow 7 o clock blade it is a nice, smooth and efficient razor.

The soap and splash smell terrific, and provide a very nice lather and post shave feel.

eZy Watermark_19-03-2024_08-33-03-8680PM.jpeg

My first participation in a PIF here on the forum, it’s Grundi’s PIF whit the original NOS British LB and Wilkinson Blades.

The London Bridge blades from China are one of my favourite blades, so i was very interested to try the original British blades from the eighties.

For today’s shave i used one of my favourite modern razors, the goodfellas smile Bayonetta paired whit a British London Bridge blade, and i was impressed to be honest, the first WTG pass was really nice smooth and comfortable, almost like the modern LB blades. The XTG en ATG pass were also comfortable and smooth, but the blade felt a tiny bit rougher but still comfortable, and actually I don’t mind if you feel the blade cutting trough the whiskers, i have a very course beard almost like sandpaper.

After the final pass and some little cleanup’s my shave was near BBS but definitely a DFS++, as a daily shaver BBS is never my ultimate goal, but this shave was very close,

Great Shave 👍🏻

eZy Watermark_21-03-2024_08-49-49-0420PM.jpeg

💈 SOTD: 22-3-24

Preshave: KCG Face Wash
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn Lime
As: 4711 Aftershave
Razor: Dovo Primo
Blade: London Bridge
Brush: Semogue 1305

This week i got a friend to visit whit the same passion for wetshaving as i have. Hey brought me two razor too test and one of them was the Dovo Primo i user today. Nice razor to be honest, very much similarity as with a 34c in blade feel. It is a beautiful razor whit nice tolerances and a nice finish.

The Crabtree soap was a surprise from another friend, the scent is nice but not as strong as it used too be i think. But it creates still a very nice and creamy lather, whit a nice postshave feel.

eZy Watermark_22-03-2024_09-21-43-6020PM.jpeg

This morning i came home from work after my last nightshift, and cleaning the razor was a nice thing to get relaxed and find some time off. The OC Swing is in a nice razor it has some spots but it is in a very nice condition.

The Swing is a really nice smooth razor, 2 days of beard growth disappeared as snow for the sun. Paired with the vintage Wilkinson blade it was a very nice and smooth shave. The blade was nice comfortable and sharp, and a superb combination whit this razor.

Can i compare this razor too another razor, i think a Fatip OC has a similar feel comfortable smooth.

💈SOTD: 26-3-24

Soap: AYLM Garibaldi
As: AYLM Garibaldi
Razor: Swing OC
Blade: NOS Wilkinson blade
Brush: Semogue Mistura

eZy Watermark_26-03-2024_08-49-13-8580PM.jpeg

Today’s shave was good but not more than that, the products were great btw, but we are on a short holiday break and in our little apartment the mirror is to far away from the sink and the light is not much for a evening shave. Tomorrow i shave earlier to have some natural day light.

I have took some scheermonnik samples on this trip. Scheermonnik is an dutch artisan and he makes a couple of soaps and some brushes. Were I usually used matching sets of soap and aftershave splashes, I didn’t look at there standalone soaps, till i recently discovered whit the input from this forum that matching stand alone soaps and aftershave splashes is quit a fun thing to do, i love too give these samples a try from Scheermonnik ( Shave monk ) and wow this is quite an amazing soap, with a nice lather and this scent from Delfst wit is great. Very nice slickness on this soap and the postshave feel is quite amazing. Topped this shave of whit some aftershave gel from mondial.

💈SOTD: 27-03-24

Preshave: KCG Face Wash
Soap: Scheermonnik Delfts Wit
As: Mondial Axolute Aftershave gel
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Permasharp
Brush: Semogue Boar

BBC54E20-02D2-4C24-BAC8-6D42414F2092.jpeg

💈SOTD: 30-3-24
Soap: LPL Oud - Neroli
As: LPL Oud - Neroli
Razor: Lambda Ares
Blade: Bic Astor (3)
Brush: SOC Butterscotch

Today I was able to test the Ares from Lambda that I have on loan from a good friend. I had three days of beard growth to mow away and it went off without a hitch. Included in the set are Bic Astor blades and I already had one of those in use, so this one got to take its place in the beautiful open comb shaving head that is so nice and smooth. The head has a slight positive blade exposure which I can see with the naked eye and a simple magnifying glass, which makes it very efficient and for
my skin certainly not a daily driver. After three comfortable passes almost a BBS result, with almost no feedback from the alum and aftershave, I do feel half an hour after the shave that I have some sensitive spots on my neck, not disturbing nor red but a sign that the shave was very close.

A very nice stylish set in its mahogany wooden case, the handle resembles a greek pillar and certainly against the circular motion it offers a lot of grip, in the long way it is a little more slippery but that is also because I clamp the razor only very lightly between my fingers. With a weight of almost 97 grams you can let the razor do the work nicely, and it is also not very angle sensitive, rising the cap provides a little more comfort and lowering the handle a little more makes the shave a little more efficient again.

As I said, just as the Athena would not be a daily driver for me, it is certainly a good choice for a nice efficient shave if you skip a day.

eZy Watermark_30-03-2024_08-28-39-6750PM.jpeg

Top Bottom