What's new

Which one should I use for my first DE shave?

Welcome! Wow, that Tech looks pristine. Nice catch.

Carbon blades don't age well. I have tried a Blue Blade shave and know from experience. If you want to try carbon steel, there are still new carbon blades on the market. Or if you are in the USA, I can mail you a couple carbon Tigers once you can communicate with B&B private messaging.

Unwrap one of the Blues and check the Gillette date code though. It will probably date your Tech perfectly.

Sticking with one razor is the right way to start. That Supply will be fun and different once you are happy with your Tech-nique.

Welcome! Wow, that Tech looks pristine. Nice catch.

Carbon blades don't age well. I have tried a Blue Blade shave and know from experience. If you want to try carbon steel, there are still new carbon blades on the market. Or if you are in the USA, I can mail you a couple carbon Tigers once you can communicate with B&B private messaging.

Unwrap one of the Blues and check the Gillette date code though. It will probably date your Tech perfectly.

Sticking with one razor is the right way to start. That Supply will be fun and different once you are happy with your Tech-nique.
Thank you for the great advice!

Thank you everyone for your input and advice!
I ended up going with the Tech for my first DE shave and used a Wilkinson Sword blade with it.
I couldn't be happier with how the shave turned out, though I have nothing to compare it to haha. But very smooth. No nicks. Two passes (WTG & XTG).
Thanks again Everyone and Happy New Year!
IMG_0216.jpg

I had (maybe still have) a pristine 59 Tech similar to yours. From my notes 10+ years back, it was a great DE using a forgiving blade like IP Red or Astra SP. I only used it a couple of times as I made the rookie mistake of accumulating too many DEs in too short a time.

Curious

What are your plans for the gifted Supply Razor?

I believe you said you were also gifted an Alum Block. Learn about its uses.

I would encourage you to use it regardless of with razor type you use, tech, DE89, whichever.

It think you will enjoy it. It will last a long time.

Welcome and enjoy the New Year with your new tools.

Curious

What are your plans for the gifted Supply Razor?

I believe you said you were also gifted an Alum Block. Learn about its uses.

I would encourage you to use it regardless of with razor type you use, tech, DE89, whichever.

It think you will enjoy it. It will last a long time.

Welcome and enjoy the New Year with your new tools.
Hi,
Regarding the Supply razor, I will keep it for sure, but my main focus right now will be to learn how to use the DE's (Tech and 89). It's funny because the Supply is the one I had my heart set on before I knew anything about wet shaving and safety razors (about a week ago), but now it has taken a back seat to a razor from 1956 that I found at an antique store (the Tech) - go figure. I never would have guessed that would be the case a week ago.

As for the alum block, I did use it, though I'm still not 100% sure what it does. Still learning.

Welcome to B&B and an awesome choice to go with the Tech first. Great razor to learn to hone your skill. And frankly it is the DE shaving staple so congrats on that mighty find!

Enjoy!

Guido
Thanks Guido, the Tech has been great so far, but I must admit that i just purchased a Super Adjustable (V-3 date code) off ebay today, which I believe was one of your grail razors at one point! (I read that in another thread haha). Got it for $25 shipped. Super excited.

Thanks Guido, the Tech has been great so far, but I must admit that i just purchased a Super Adjustable (V-3 date code) off ebay today, which I believe was one of your grail razors at one point! (I read that in another thread haha). Got it for $25 shipped. Super excited.
Absolutely! Still is as it is my birth quarter razor! Nice!

And thank you for taking the time to read my journal.

Guido

Top Bottom