What's new

PBB (Phoenix Bakelite Brotherhood) for Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant lovers

Great shave last night with my paa bocs, fresh Astra SP, proraso green pre/post, and barbasol skin conditioner. Finished off with my usual alum then witch hazel and had some rr American Barber splash for dessert.

I need help!

I received my PAA Bakelite OCS razor yesterday. I watched Doug's video on how to load the razor, yet again, today before using it for the first time.

I loaded it with a Voskhod blade (I usually use a PermaSharp, but I wanted to try something a little less aggressive for my first use). I put the blade in just as Doug did, put the bottom cap on, then screwed in the handle. I noticed the blade was not seated at all, so I assumed I needed to turn the handle a little tighter, and POP! the bottom plate broke in half and went flying across the bathroom.

I have since contacted PAA and Fran is sending me out a new one. Has anyone ever experienced this? The blade didn't seat, and I didn't tighten THAT much for that to happen. Defective unit, perhaps?
Broken Bakelite.jpg

I need help!

I received my PAA Bakelite OCS razor yesterday. I watched Doug's video on how to load the razor, yet again, today before using it for the first time.

I loaded it with a Voskhod blade (I usually use a PermaSharp, but I wanted to try something a little less aggressive for my first use). I put the blade in just as Doug did, put the bottom cap on, then screwed in the handle. I noticed the blade was not seated at all, so I assumed I needed to turn the handle a little tighter, and POP! the bottom plate broke in half and went flying across the bathroom.

I have since contacted PAA and Fran is sending me out a new one. Has anyone ever experienced this? The blade didn't seat, and I didn't tighten THAT much for that to happen. Defective unit, perhaps?
View attachment 853338

Wow, that's nuts! The only issue i've heard of before is if someone tightens the handle too much (not saying you did) the top cap breaks like that from the tension on the screw from the handle's threads pulling until the bakelite can't handle anymore and it cracks. Some people have complained about the 2 posts in the top cap being slightly larger then the receiving holes in the bottom plate, maybe you had a severe case of that and the resistance caused the bottom plate to break?

Try this:
Set the top cap upside down like you are loading a blade but don't actually load one. Next, set the larger piece of the bottom plate (the one that still has 1 intact post hole) onto the top cap as if you just loaded a blade (but didn't). See if that sits flush or if it meets resistance from anywhere, like the posts being too large or the top cap and base plate not seating/fitting together properly for example. This won't fix it of course but may at least clue you in as to what happened.

Happy to hear PAA is taking care of it, i've always had fantastic customer service from them.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I need help!

View attachment 853338

Your razor is the wrong color.

Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe you were holding your mouth wrong. I'm glad they're backing you up, and the product. I crank down on my handle, really getting it tight, and things are okay.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the replies.

The bottom/top plate doesn't have a right or wrong direction to be put on, does it?

That is an interesting thought to bring up, let me explain:

I've had my BOCS about a year and use it in regular rotation. In the past I've read people mentioning having to play with the base plate until it seats right meaning having to spin it because it was in the "wrong" direction. Most blew it off as being new bakelite not worked in yet and/or minor molding issue that will fade with wear and nothing else. Some even stating they get a totally different shave if they spin the base plate a half turn. I personally have never found that with mine and always thought it was maybe placebo. Well one day I was watching an episode of ILBS on youtube, Don't remember which one, where Douglas was handling a paa bocs and was either loading a blade or just assembling it in general... Anyway, he matches the baseplate to the top cap then proceeds to tighten the handle before quickly stopping and commenting on how "it's backwards" and loosens it enough to give the base plate a half turn, say's "that's better" or "there we go" some kind of generalized confirmation statement, then tightens the handle all the way down and proceeds with his topic of discussion.

That is an interesting thought to bring up, let me explain:

I've had my BOCS about a year and use it in regular rotation. In the past I've read people mentioning having to play with the base plate until it seats right meaning having to spin it because it was in the "wrong" direction. Most blew it off as being new bakelite not worked in yet and/or minor molding issue that will fade with wear and nothing else. Some even stating they get a totally different shave if they spin the base plate a half turn. I personally have never found that with mine and always thought it was maybe placebo. Well one day I was watching an episode of ILBS on youtube, Don't remember which one, where Douglas was handling a paa bocs and was either loading a blade or just assembling it in general... Anyway, he matches the baseplate to the top cap then proceeds to tighten the handle before quickly stopping and commenting on how "it's backwards" and loosens it enough to give the base plate a half turn, say's "that's better" or "there we go" some kind of generalized confirmation statement, then tightens the handle all the way down and proceeds with his topic of discussion.

As you've used yours over the course of a year, have you ever paid any attention to the direction you've place yours? This is my first slant (as if it wasn't obvious). I don't want to mess up another one when the replacement comes.

And thanks for being so helpful!

As you've used yours over the course of a year, have you ever paid any attention to the direction you've place yours? This is my first slant (as if it wasn't obvious). I don't want to mess up another one when the replacement comes.

And thanks for being so helpful!

I've played with it a little bit but never found a difference. I've found I get more consistent shaves with it if I tighten the handle most of the way, make sure the blade is aligned properly, then finish tightening the handle. Some times I'll hold the side blade tabs as I tighten. This all has to do with the blade it self and not the relation/fit between the top.cap and base plate.

Hope that helps!

I've played with it a little bit but never found a difference. I've found I get more consistent shaves with it if I tighten the handle most of the way, make sure the blade is aligned properly, then finish tightening the handle. Some times I'll hold the side blade tabs as I tighten. This all has to do with the blade it self and not the relation/fit between the top.cap and base plate.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again, brother!

Okay fellas... I'm hanging up my hat. It's been a seriously fun ride. The PAA Bakelite Open Comb Slant was fun to own and certainly a unique experience but alas... I've discovered Injectors. That, and I'm now on a mission to consolidate as much as possible (ha! *ahem*) so I can keep more of my coin and enjoy the little time I have left in this world. Don't forget me!

I actually pulled my bocs out again after several weeks with basically just my 37c. I had 2 fantastic shaves in a row, both times with barbasol. The second shave was the first time I've ever had a good shave with no irritation from the second use on a blade, I usually once and done my blades.

I actually pulled my bocs out again after several weeks with basically just my 37c. I had 2 fantastic shaves in a row, both times with barbasol. The second shave was the first time I've ever had a good shave with no irritation from the second use on a blade, I usually once and done my blades.
This is good progress. Glad to hear it.

Just got one. I haven't read the whole thread yet. people always are talking about blade exposure and such and how crazy aggressive things are because of this (R41 for instance). The BOCS easily has the larges blade exposure i have ever seen. If this is discussed earlier I will read it later, but for now, holy cow, it has to have 3+MM of blade sticking out on each side. Israeli personna, for the record.

Just got one. I haven't read the whole thread yet. people always are talking about blade exposure and such and how crazy aggressive things are because of this (R41 for instance). The BOCS easily has the larges blade exposure i have ever seen. If this is discussed earlier I will read it later, but for now, holy cow, it has to have 3+MM of blade sticking out on each side. Israeli personna, for the record.

This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your technique and experience. The cool part with the immense blade exposure on this razor is it makes finding the "sweet spot" much easier. If your angle is too steep you'll ride the cap and it just wont cut, if your angle is too shallow you'll literally hear and feel the blade chatter across your skin. Don't be fooled, this razor does have a ton of audible feedback but you'll quickly be able to tell the difference between it's proper cutting sound and it's improper scraping sound.

Yea, it was pretty easy. It went very well actually, I just expected people to "OMG OMG OMG look at the exposure, It must be the most aggressive razor in the world!" :shaving:

M

member 119848

Hi guys,
I´m the happy owner of a Phoenix bakelite OC slant in white color.
Loving this razor so much, I wanted to order a black version, but the PAA online shop seems to have run out of inventory for both the white and black versions of this slant.
I really hope they´ll be available again.
I just ordered an ox blood. :001_smile

Blade exposure isn’t really how far the blade juts out from the cap but rather how far it juts out from a tangent line drawn from the cap to the guard (which is how far it could dig into your face!)
There’s good diagrams about this elsewhere.
The other big factor in aggression is blade gap.

But ha ha just as you say the BOCS is pretty aggressive!

Hi guys,
I´m the happy owner of a Phoenix bakelite OC slant in white color.
Loving this razor so much, I wanted to order a black version, but the PAA online shop seems to have run out of inventory for both the white and black versions of this slant.
I really hope they´ll be available again.
I just ordered an ox blood. :001_smile

Try amazon, PAA has an account there and different inventory for amazon. You also can find them through other vendors that sell PAA products, try Italian barber or West Coast shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom