What's new

NOCvember 2023 - No Open Combs in November. Only teeth allowed are those we see when you smile!!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday November 29, 2023/NOCvember 7th
Razor: Rex Konsul
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

As promised, I returned to the Konsul for the last two shaves of NOCvember. And as always, I look back at the month and start thinking, "Shoulda, coulda..." about other razors in the stable. But I'm happy with my choices. Some days with the Konsul I use its incredible abilities to achieve a DFS fairly quickly. Other days, like today, I decide to go in after a few of the areas that separate the DFS from the shave I'd really like to have but often don't take time to get.

Opening the Konsul up to 6.5 is just about as aggressive as I can handle on a regular basis. Going ATG with that leaves a very smooth surface behind but risks getting a little close to the bone in a couple of spots. But that's what we have Nivea Sensitive Men for. All in all it was a pretty dang good shave.

Thanks to @Guido75 for putting on the show! Fun was had.

O.H.

lasta

Blade Biter
Last shave of NOCvember, thank you @Guido75 for organizing!

It's been a month of easy and comfortables shaves, really put the "safe" back in safety razors!

Ending with a new to me razor GC68 (thanks @Balin ). Smooth and safe, 90% Tech level, which means 90% perfect!
20231130_081528.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
NOCvember 2023
20231128_134408~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-A (Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (4)

20231119_115746~2.jpg

Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: D.R.Harris & Co Sandalwood
Aftershave: Stephan Lilac

Used the same kit as yesterday. Same comments apply. The RR Hawk V3-A rocks, especially for the money. A very effective and satisfying kit! :001_wub:

Superb shave! :cool:

Date30.11.2023
365 daily shaves
334/365
NOCvember
30/30
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Prewar TechGillette Silver Blue (4)Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Minor red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - The Prewar Tech outperformed yesterday’s Flat Bottom by a mile. Excellent Thursday shave!

Last shave of NOCvember! Thank you to all participants for joining in and sharing your amazing gear with all of us. See you next year!! Or in the other side for Decemboar!!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Lamba Athena 316 SS (V2? EVO?) / BIC Platinum

aresathenas-s.jpg

Hello ladies and mostly gentlemen, kalimera oli mera to all of you! :)
I will catch up with your wonderful photos and reports a bit later, I am throwing this review out before shoveling my car free and trying to get some food from a not yet snowed in store. No, I don't live in Canada, just in Germany, but it's pretty messed up right now.

To the left is the Ares V2, to which I will compare the Athena somewhat. You noticed that I wrote "EVO" or "V2", as Theo did listen to feedback and add a minor change compared to the bronze model: The edges of the safety bar got mildly rounded. This should prevent people from poking them in their skin. Not that everyone would feel that strongly about that, but some did, and lo behold, minor change implemented. "EVO" is for evolution, reminded me of a hiking boots company adding a longer shaft to a mid height hiking boot and calling it "EVO" before releasing it as military boot with the same shaft as "V2". I am talking about the Lowa Renegade, a very popular boot around here. Yeah, I am also collecting sneakers and boots.

But back to the most important things: How does it shave? How is the finish?

Likely not any differen to the Bronze Athena, the finish is flawless, the handle reminds me a bit of the design used by the Yaqi "Flare Tip" handle, the wide upper part of the "amphora" of the handle has these matte flat sides that give awesome grip. Under the slightly rounded inward butt end you can put your pinky, in my case I could almost put the ring finger there as well, but I have somewhat slightly larger hands.

The Lambda mantra seems to be MILD, BUT VERY EFFICIENT NEVERTHELESS.

It applies for both Ares and Athena: They are super safe, super mild, fun to shave with, just lovely! And they give a damn close shave nevertheless! I already told you when talking about the Ares, how much this amazed and even confused me. No razor this mild should be able to give such a close shave so effortlessly!

However, when it comes to long term lasting shaving results, regrowth showed up earlier than for my more aggressive razors, but very evenly. So it should be no surprise when I tell you that the Ares V2 is a bit more efficient with its OC. But the difference is much less than you would think, the character of both razors is also slightly different. The bar is or at least feels less wide than the teeth of the Ares, so I felt I could shave steeper than with the Ares if wanted, which still was super mild.

Mr. Theodoros Dragonas promised to send everyone who ordered the Steel Athena the new updated wooden box once it is ready. I have no idea what changed there, maybe wood type, color or just a different velvety lining inside, no idea.

The Lambda razors are an absolute marvel. While I would still wish for a truly aggressive Lamba model one day, I am very likely to buy all future Lambdas as well. They are that good!
I am not a fan of waiting list model, and never joined a waiting list but thankfully people at Badger & Blade always pointed out when a few Lamba razors were offered online. Big kudos, thank you, I forgot the exact user names but tomas and @walpan particularly.

Happy Shaves, I will post this also in the Lamba and Ares threads!

NOCvember shave 23 - closed comb

IMG_5816.jpeg

Yep, I'm getting ramped up for DecemBOAR.

Have I ever used the gentile plate on my Piccolo SE in the many years I've been using Fatips? Now that I have, I say "don't knock nOC".

Might even use the gentile again. Some day...

And @Beto Salatini , I've had Anita O'Day on infinite loop today. A varied career, indeed.

I would give @Guido75 proper thanks, but I think I have room for NOCvember dessert tomorrow!

My Gillette Fatboy arrived yesterday in pretty aweful aesthetic conditions. I knew what to do, soak, scrub, polish. Check, I even threw in the Dremel. What came out was a near mint looking beauty. Difficult to see in the picture below, I was going to take a pic outside in the frosty grass, but my feet are still fronzen from cyclying to my daughter's school and back. Brrr.

The Fatboy's first shave was excellent, though it didn't wow me as much as my SA did. Still better than most of the adjustable razors I have tried.

Thank you Guido, it's been fun! 🍻

full

@Iridian

I might not have an Athena or Ares, but those Lowa's sure are great boots!

Screenshot_20231130_085246.jpg

I realise I just went outside for this picture anyways. And yes, I keep my razors clean and my boots dirty. 😁

Last edited:
Lamba Athena 316 SS (V2? EVO?) / BIC Platinum

View attachment 1756307

Hello ladies and mostly gentlemen, kalimera oli mera to all of you! :)
I will catch up with your wonderful photos and reports a bit later, I am throwing this review out before shoveling my car free and trying to get some food from a not yet snowed in store. No, I don't live in Canada, just in Germany, but it's pretty messed up right now.

To the left is the Ares V2, to which I will compare the Athena somewhat. You noticed that I wrote "EVO" or "V2", as Theo did listen to feedback and add a minor change compared to the bronze model: The edges of the safety bar got mildly rounded. This should prevent people from poking them in their skin. Not that everyone would feel that strongly about that, but some did, and lo behold, minor change implemented. "EVO" is for evolution, reminded me of a hiking boots company adding a longer shaft to a mid height hiking boot and calling it "EVO" before releasing it as military boot with the same shaft as "V2". I am talking about the Lowa Renegade, a very popular boot around here. Yeah, I am also collecting sneakers and boots.

But back to the most important things: How does it shave? How is the finish?

Likely not any differen to the Bronze Athena, the finish is flawless, the handle reminds me a bit of the design used by the Yaqi "Flare Tip" handle, the wide upper part of the "amphora" of the handle has these matte flat sides that give awesome grip. Under the slightly rounded inward butt end you can put your pinky, in my case I could almost put the ring finger there as well, but I have somewhat slightly larger hands.

The Lambda mantra seems to be MILD, BUT VERY EFFICIENT NEVERTHELESS.

It applies for both Ares and Athena: They are super safe, super mild, fun to shave with, just lovely! And they give a damn close shave nevertheless! I already told you when talking about the Ares, how much this amazed and even confused me. No razor this mild should be able to give such a close shave so effortlessly!

However, when it comes to long term lasting shaving results, regrowth showed up earlier than for my more aggressive razors, but very evenly. So it should be no surprise when I tell you that the Ares V2 is a bit more efficient with its OC. But the difference is much less than you would think, the character of both razors is also slightly different. The bar is or at least feels less wide than the teeth of the Ares, so I felt I could shave steeper than with the Ares if wanted, which still was super mild.

Mr. Theodoros Dragonas promised to send everyone who ordered the Steel Athena the new updated wooden box once it is ready. I have no idea what changed there, maybe wood type, color or just a different velvety lining inside, no idea.

The Lambda razors are an absolute marvel. While I would still wish for a truly aggressive Lamba model one day, I am very likely to buy all future Lambdas as well. They are that good!
I am not a fan of waiting list model, and never joined a waiting list but thankfully people at Badger & Blade always pointed out when a few Lamba razors were offered online. Big kudos, thank you, I forgot the exact user names but tomas and @walpan particularly.

Happy Shaves, I will post this also in the Lamba and Ares threads!
Beautiful razor and a great purchase 👍

Top Bottom