What's new

PBB (Phoenix Bakelite Brotherhood) for Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant lovers

I'm in. I love the razor, got one for my birthday. No pics yet. I also convinced a coworker to grab one when he was looking to start wet shaving and he loves it. Still trying to figure it out though since I got a PAA DOC at the same time. Mine is in black, but I wouldn't mind grabbing another color just to fill the drawer.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My PBOCS was missing + it needed to be found. Badly needed to be found.

Slantember (September) banner.png

How can a guy do Slantember without it?

PBOCS FOUND FOR SLANTEMBER.jpg

It was found, so it's been getting a lot of use this month.

PBOCS The Storm Trooper (meme).jpg

Guess what? I like it a lot. Very nice little razor. Glad I bought the white.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hello, This morning I had my 5th shave with my PBS, being my first slant ever. I am yet to find PBS’ perfect blade partner. For the first shave, I used an Astra SP based on recommendations here which resulted in 4 bad nicks. I didn’t dare to aim for a close shave but I learnt the lesson that no pressure means no pressure, null. For the second shave I paired it with a Voskhod. Just one small nick but certainly not a BBS. For the 3rd shave I used a Perma Sharp. No nicks (Permas are very forgiving imo) a comfortable shave and I got a DFS. For the 4th and 5th I used Feather but no BBS yet. So I am now able to achieve blood-free shaves with PBS but I am not getting really close shaves. It might be because I am scared of applying the slightest pressure but I’d like to blame the fact that I haven’t discovered the perfect blade match yet. I am planning to use a BIC chrome tmrw. Fingers crossed!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Questions are always good...

Others will have different answers. It's not easy for us to determine exactly what you should do, but I'll give you my point of view about it.

Hello, This morning I had my 5th shave with my PBS, being my first slant ever. I am yet to find PBS’ perfect blade partner. For the first shave, I used an Astra SP based on recommendations here which resulted in 4 bad nicks. I didn’t dare to aim for a close shave but I learnt the lesson that no pressure means no pressure, null. For the second shave I paired it with a Voskhod. Just one small nick but certainly not a BBS. For the 3rd shave I used a Perma Sharp. No nicks (Permas are very forgiving imo) a comfortable shave and I got a DFS. For the 4th and 5th I used Feather but no BBS yet. So I am now able to achieve blood-free shaves with PBS but I am not getting really close shaves. It might be because I am scared of applying the slightest pressure but I’d like to blame the fact that I haven’t discovered the perfect blade match yet. I am planning to use a BIC chrome tmrw. Fingers crossed!

Captain of the Design (meme).jpg

The design angle (neutral) angle is right with this razor. Steep but not too steep. Not cap riding. Very light touch. No pressure might be a slightly too extreme view of what a very light touch actually means. Think about writing with a fountain pen on fine paper and using a light touch. Don't dig. Barely touch lightly. It's easier with a razor than a pen because you can feel it.

It is not the easiest razor to get right, but it's worth it.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

For me, the best razor blade is the one that always works for me.

The close shave will come when you can do several comfortable passes. Comfort is the only goal worth having. The rest will happen but not at the expense of comfort. Let the combs help guide you, too.

You'll get it. Main things: Comfort. Light touch.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Questions are always good...

Others will have different answers. It's not easy for us to determine exactly what you should do, but I'll give you my point of view about it.

View attachment 917113

The design angle (neutral) angle is right with this razor. Steep but not too steep. Not cap riding. Very light touch. No pressure might be a slightly too extreme view of what a very light touch actually means. Think about writing with a fountain pen on fine paper and using a light touch. Don't dig. Barely touch lightly. It's easier with a razor than a pen because you can feel it.

It is not the easiest razor to get right, but it's worth it.

View attachment 917114

For me, the best razor blade is the one that always works for me.

The close shave will come when you can do several comfortable passes. Comfort is the only goal worth having. The rest will happen but not at the expense of comfort. Let the combs help guide you, too.

You'll get it. Main things: Comfort. Light touch.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank Jim. I guess I am getting the angle right, but I’ll be more careful tomorrow. Polsilvers are my favorites but I read somewhere that PBS doesn’t like this blade? I’ll try it but tomorrow it will be BIC, because I had greek salad for dinner tonight.
image.jpg

Aye sir

Am planning to try a Treet Black with PBOCS tmrw.
Just for the curious ones and for future reference: the Treet Black paired nicely with BOCS except the blade -not being exactly the sharpest- had a hard time cutting the whiskers above the upper lip. Otherwise the shave was one of the most smooth I had so far experienced with this razor.

M

member 119848

I´m lucky to have a dedicated shave den. Now comes the first shaving related artwork!
Just found this awesome print on Etsy...
D496DE9F-5769-4202-8230-E54611BDF422.jpeg

M

member 119848

Out of my expectations due to the blade feel, but we might have a negative blade exposure on this razor:
82F597D9-70FE-40BF-A6D5-1136C1FDD905.jpeg

Top Bottom