What's new

Razor wars - Blackland Blackbird versus Timeless Ti95 SCL

And you still have the Yates incoming right? Would be interesting to hear from your comparison on that one.

It is a daily shaver for me and I believe it is turning into one for you.
Thank you Guido. Yes, Yates shipped last week, I think 2 weeks more for travel to EU and maybe week for Slovak customs.
That is some high praise indeed! And similar to what I have been reading about from other reports. So the Wolfies you have do not match up? I guess I need to get the Ti version to know for sure
:laugh:
Yes, Bird is better as my Wolfmans if looking on efficiency. More efficient as WR2 1.20 and more smooth also for me. But WR2 1.00 is like mild but nice shave similar to Athena. But not close shave as with Bird. WR1 0,67 is similar to Bird experience but not so efficient. Still great to work with, incredible responsive and best learning razor for me to improve skills.

What I think about Bird (still too early) is it shave more as straight. I follow the angle of top cap and blade just glide very parallel to my skin. It need sharp blade to work, and guard bar is more like floating above the skin and not touching. Here is where Ti version shine, because of low weight.
Because of top cap design, low gap and bigger positive exposure I find this approach as natural, but need practice to became perfect. Blade is best guide for me.
Bird also confirm in my case I learn better and easier razors with positive exposure as neutral..

One last observation, Bird could feel for some people like aggressive, but it is only blade feel. If used correctly it is actually very mild for skin, similar to straight razors. I can tell my skin is healing with using Bird daily, what I didn't think at all can be possible with this blade exposure.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
One last observation, Bird could feel for some people like aggressive, but it is only blade feel. If used correctly it is actually very mild for skin, similar to straight razors. I can tell my skin is healing with using Bird daily, what I didn't think at all can be possible with this blade exposure.
I find the Blackbird quite mild, but you must ride the cap, not the bar. Shallow, not steep. I know some forum members insist on using it steep and I am puzzled by this. It is even more apparent that the razor wants a slightly more shallow angle with the OC plate.

It had to happen eventually, so I thought why not get it over with - or is it actually (ever) over?

Blackland Blackbird

As I said before this razor needs no introduction on this forum being a favourite ever since it first hit the streets. I have the polished stainless steel version with the original baseplate and regular handle. The Blackbird I have weighs 90 grams (compared to the 94 grams listed on Blackland's website) with (according to Kickstarter) a blade gap of .58mm and blade exposure of .101mm. The Blackbird is a true masterpiece in terms of design and design features. During the shaves I had so far no clogging at all, blade alignment is always spot on and the fit of head and handle is amazing. Its head design leads to an intuitive finding of the right angle and the Blackbird literally guides me across my face and neck letting me know if my angle is off or not. Nice level of audio feedback as well - although I definitely have razors that produce much more audio than this Blackbird. The 90 grams steel doesn't feel as such when shaving. It is very nimble and easy to manouvre around. I haven't been able yet to get the same stellar results as others report on, but I am sure that eventually I will get there (I have already noticed that top notch blades certainly make a difference). I have briefly considered selling the Blackbird, because I have other razors delivering similar results - but for now it is firmly locked into my rotation.

Timeless Ti95 SCL

The Blackbird is already a masterpiece, but for me personally this razor is just drop dead gorgeous. The only other razor I have that comes close next to the Blackbird is the Lambda Athena, but the Timeless is just marvellous engineering and looks. I absolutely love the Crown handle. So the Timeless weighs 42.7 grams for the handle and 24.5 grams for the head totalling 67.2 grams which of course is significantly lower than the Blackbird. But as I mentioned the Blackbird doesn't feel that heavy. I have the scalloped baseplate which according to Timeless is somewhat of a hybrid between open comb and safety bar baseplates. I don't know if that is true or not, but I like the looks as well as the efficiency it brings (alledgedly more effective than the solid safety bar). It has been the razor I reach most for and I always smile when I get to use it. I like rotating razors, but I would let the others gather dust if I were to use this one daily. It is a daily driver to me despite the blade gap of .95mm and .05mm positive exposure. So more blade gap but less exposure compared to the Blackbird.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
05.03.2024Timeless Ti95 SCLGSB (5)10109
08.03.2024Blackbird SSSputnik (1)989.25
16.03.2024Timeless Ti95 SCLRacer (6)976
17.03.2024Blackbird SSTiger Platinum (1)867
18.03.2024Blackbird SSASCO (1)988.75
19.03.2024Timeless Ti95 SCLASCO (2)988.25

Average Blackbird SS

Average Timeless Ti95

Notes

It would be too easy to say it's too close to call and both razors are too much alike. Which they are and they are not. I am sure metal plays a role, but then again titanium usually wins from stainless - at least from what I have been reading and today that doesn't seem to be the case. Both had good blades and bad blades so no advantage for one or the other. The Blackbird shaves closer than the Timeless Ti95 - at least during these shaves. In hindsight the result of 18 March was closer to 8.5 than 8.75, but it is what it is. If I however factor in comfort the Ti95 wins as there is positive blade feel, but less than the Blackbird making it a more smoother shaver for me. Obviously I have more mileage with the Ti95 and that does count for something, as the Ti95 is neary autopilot for me whereas the Blackbird and I are still growing on each other. If I take a superior blade into account - like the KCG - I see both razors performing admirably and delivering dolphinic or marble results - even with a KCG blade going on 20 shaves.

So where does this leave us. Ultimately you cannot go wrong with either. Both are true testaments to modern wet shaving and they represent some of the best out there. In this face-off the Blackbird got the upper hand. In terms of end results that is. The Ti95 is less aggressive and more predictable than the Blackbird making it a smoother shaver for me. And I am biased towards the design of the Ti95. Not to mention the emotional and sentimental value this particular razor represents to me. End of the story is that I am glad to have both in my rotation. As these razor wars show there are alternatives. For example the Green Cult 2.0 and recently @tomas1870 mentioned the Yates 921 H as a possible contender. And I would say the Game Changer has a place as well punching above its weight.
It had to happen eventually, so I thought why not get it over with - or is it actually (ever) over?

Blackland Blackbird

As I said before this razor needs no introduction on this forum being a favourite ever since it first hit the streets. I have the polished stainless steel version with the original baseplate and regular handle. The Blackbird I have weighs 90 grams (compared to the 94 grams listed on Blackland's website) with (according to Kickstarter) a blade gap of .58mm and blade exposure of .101mm. The Blackbird is a true masterpiece in terms of design and design features. During the shaves I had so far no clogging at all, blade alignment is always spot on and the fit of head and handle is amazing. Its head design leads to an intuitive finding of the right angle and the Blackbird literally guides me across my face and neck letting me know if my angle is off or not. Nice level of audio feedback as well - although I definitely have razors that produce much more audio than this Blackbird. The 90 grams steel doesn't feel as such when shaving. It is very nimble and easy to manouvre around. I haven't been able yet to get the same stellar results as others report on, but I am sure that eventually I will get there (I have already noticed that top notch blades certainly make a difference). I have briefly considered selling the Blackbird, because I have other razors delivering similar results - but for now it is firmly locked into my rotation.

Timeless Ti95 SCL

The Blackbird is already a masterpiece, but for me personally this razor is just drop dead gorgeous. The only other razor I have that comes close next to the Blackbird is the Lambda Athena, but the Timeless is just marvellous engineering and looks. I absolutely love the Crown handle. So the Timeless weighs 42.7 grams for the handle and 24.5 grams for the head totalling 67.2 grams which of course is significantly lower than the Blackbird. But as I mentioned the Blackbird doesn't feel that heavy. I have the scalloped baseplate which according to Timeless is somewhat of a hybrid between open comb and safety bar baseplates. I don't know if that is true or not, but I like the looks as well as the efficiency it brings (alledgedly more effective than the solid safety bar). It has been the razor I reach most for and I always smile when I get to use it. I like rotating razors, but I would let the others gather dust if I were to use this one daily. It is a daily driver to me despite the blade gap of .95mm and .05mm positive exposure. So more blade gap but less exposure compared to the Blackbird.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
05.03.2024Timeless Ti95 SCLGSB (5)10109
08.03.2024Blackbird SSSputnik (1)989.25
16.03.2024Timeless Ti95 SCLRacer (6)976
17.03.2024Blackbird SSTiger Platinum (1)867
18.03.2024Blackbird SSASCO (1)988.75
19.03.2024Timeless Ti95 SCLASCO (2)988.25

Average Blackbird SS

Average Timeless Ti95

Notes

It would be too easy to say it's too close to call and both razors are too much alike. Which they are and they are not. I am sure metal plays a role, but then again titanium usually wins from stainless - at least from what I have been reading and today that doesn't seem to be the case. Both had good blades and bad blades so no advantage for one or the other. The Blackbird shaves closer than the Timeless Ti95 - at least during these shaves. In hindsight the result of 18 March was closer to 8.5 than 8.75, but it is what it is. If I however factor in comfort the Ti95 wins as there is positive blade feel, but less than the Blackbird making it a more smoother shaver for me. Obviously I have more mileage with the Ti95 and that does count for something, as the Ti95 is neary autopilot for me whereas the Blackbird and I are still growing on each other. If I take a superior blade into account - like the KCG - I see both razors performing admirably and delivering dolphinic or marble results - even with a KCG blade going on 20 shaves.

So where does this leave us. Ultimately you cannot go wrong with either. Both are true testaments to modern wet shaving and they represent some of the best out there. In this face-off the Blackbird got the upper hand. In terms of end results that is. The Ti95 is less aggressive and more predictable than the Blackbird making it a smoother shaver for me. And I am biased towards the design of the Ti95. Not to mention the emotional and sentimental value this particular razor represents to me. End of the story is that I am glad to have both in my rotation. As these razor wars show there are alternatives. For example the Green Cult 2.0 and recently @tomas1870 mentioned the Yates 921 H as a possible contender. And I would say the Game Changer has a place as well punching above its weight.
Fantastic write up. I have the Blackbird Ti with the regular and lite plates as well as a timeless Ti .95 and .68. All are amazing pieces but I do think that the Timeless 95 is a more comfortable shave for me than even the blackbird lite, but I do prefer less blade feel most days. My shaves with both seem equally close.

Fantastic write up. I have the Blackbird Ti with the regular and lite plates as well as a timeless Ti .95 and .68. All are amazing pieces but I do think that the Timeless 95 is a more comfortable shave for me than even the blackbird lite, but I do prefer less blade feel most days. My shaves with both seem equally close.
Thanks! And I agree - they seem equal in results. Both are fantastic. My personal curiosity is sort of riding on how they both are using the OC versions. For another day! Year actually as I am in restraint - for however long that will last :biggrin:

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks! And I agree - they seem equal in results. Both are fantastic. My personal curiosity is sort of riding on how they both are using the OC versions. For another day! Year actually as I am in restraint - for however long that will last :biggrin:

Guido
Not to wet your whistle.... but the OC base plates are amazing.. at least for me... with the SS and Ti 0.68OCs. I would imagine you'd get similar results with the 0.95OC...

Top Bottom