What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abandon ship! Abandon ship! I inquired about the next release of the razor with the open comb... they’re not even selling the bad plates separate. Only FULL razor sets. This is such a money squeeze... what a joke. They pulled people in with their first run of genuine bang for the buck. Then they turn and do this quite laughable in my eyes. Time will tell in the end, when people either jump ship like me or continue to buy

Attachments

• 11A5BB89-65C3-429C-A0FE-5F2FA68E854E.png
    11A5BB89-65C3-429C-A0FE-5F2FA68E854E.png
    557.7 KB · Views: 70
For many years I ran a boutique travel company specializing in Russia and the former Soviet Union, and can attest to the high fees charged by PayPal. Often people would rent apartments in Moscow or Saint Petersburg (this is before AirBnB) and I would have to pay the owners via PayPal; I think the fees effectively were about 15-20% at times.

A post from HomelikeShaving from another shave forum giving a brief explanation on the discrepancy of price variations from Rubles to USD currency. Seems logical and an effort to keep pricing a bit lower for international customers.

Good morning
I will try to answer all your fair comments.
At the moment, there really is a difference on the site between the price in rubles and the price in dollars, which mainly consists of a very high bank commission for working with the Paypal service, Paypal itself, and a small percentage in the form of insurance for potential returns. Based on the frequent requests of our clients in connection with this issue, we decided to change the bank, with which we agreed on the best working conditions.
We hope that next week it will be possible to pay directly in rubles at the same cost for everyone. Most likely, we will have to refuse to work with Paypal in the future, since our new bank requires the removal of the cost of payment in dollars since we are located in Russia and must accept payments in our own currency. I would like to note that we issue all overseas orders with a low invoice, which will avoid additional customs duties.
Most of the steel version of the razor sold out in less than a day. The next batch of razors is already in production, including the open-head version.

Oooohhh, that really sucks. Not a good move by HomelikeShaving to now offer complete razors in one or the other set ups. It's their business and they can do as they see fit to turn a profit but, I think this is the wrong move. Hopefully they realize this sometime down the road in the very near future and rethink this sales strategy.

Kind of glad I got mine when I did..... :ihih:

Perhaps Homelike Shaving will offer their line through a US vendor at some point (and avoid the extra fees?). Personally, I’d consider the SS version if that happened. Note: the Pearl Flexi is now available for sale with the The Razor Company which is based in Michigan. I ordered one 2 days ago, strictly to use as a travel razor so I can leave my Rex Ambassador home when I’m out and about.

Its interesting that most people think that the Rex @ $250 is a great deal but for some reason when someone else comes along with something similar or better its called price gouging!! Interesting to say the least and I personally wouldn't buy either one because I just don't care for adjustable razors but I don't think for 1 minute they will have any problems selling any iteration of their adjustable's for the prices they are charging... Especially since the Taiga overall with just the SB plate has received better reviews than the Rex has to date and the 2nd release of the SS model sold out in just a couple days this time around!!

Perhaps Homelike Shaving will offer their line through a US vendor at some point (and avoid the extra fees?). Personally, I’d consider the SS version if that happened. Note: the Pearl Flexi is now available for sale with the The Razor Company which is based in Michigan. I ordered one 2 days ago, strictly to use as a travel razor so I can leave my Rex Ambassador home when I’m out and about.

FWIW I asked them about this last spring, and the response was essentially "Hell no, not ever." LOL

FWIW I asked them about this last spring, and the response was essentially "Hell no, not ever." LOL
Ok then. Maybe not lol! I think it's a smart move for Pearl. The Flexi has been selling out quickly and I'm betting, with a US distributor, that continues.

Homelike re adjusted their pricing in USD so the pricing is more reasonable for buyers in the USA. $475 for the first all Titanium adjustable razor with stand. I ordered the titanium today. Will post reviews comparing it to my SS version when I receive it.

Good to see the price difference (between paying in rubles from Russia or USD from abroad) has now been sorted out.
It makes the SS Taiga about 50 USD cheaper than what I paid, now at just under 200 USD before shipping (though currently not in stock).

A few thoughts...
Only used it once, but really liked it, very smooth and comfortable for the efficiency level (went up to 3.5 so far).
It’s a shame that the razor doesn’t come with both SB and OC baseplates included anymore, like the first SS batch did.
At least the Ti razor should include both baseplates, considering the price, in my humble opinion...

For the SS razor, if it only comes with one baseplate (SB in this second batch), at least the other plate (OC) should be available for purchase as an add on/ extra.
If it’s true that in the future they will only sell complete SS razors with either SB or OC baseplate, it would mean that anyone who wants to have both plates could only do that by purchasing two complete separate razors.... doesn’t quite make sense to me, so really hope that’s not the case.

The Razor Co might be gone. Tried Chrome and Edge no luck

Just received my Titanium Taiga and I thought I would share my unboxing pics. I currently have the original SS Taiga with a Titanium handle. The Ti is polished to the level of a Wolfman, even under the Top Cap. Unlike my original Taiga which adjusts around once plus to a second level one, the Ti Taiga continues to dial up much like my Rocnel Sailor did, easily going around 3 full times.
71CF1E64-7C67-4F48-8887-B5C84E9FD4B0.jpeg
B0558760-9C8D-4E2D-86A7-668D46376644.jpeg
806A4911-3C0F-446A-8C51-647BA6C9DD78.jpeg
C0B2A7BE-4582-478B-B4B3-3CF8157D5ADD.jpeg
7490B82F-250A-44C3-9EDA-F88ED2AA5482.jpeg
57BC3F3D-F976-4571-BC28-83CC1D8A6C8F.jpeg
BFE9A1E9-B5B4-4D1E-9E13-C0098A973283.jpeg
09F72013-FA7B-4C3B-AE91-5E38E4E186A0.jpeg
58379639-3530-4677-9CD6-A16D446062D2.jpeg

The original Taiga with the Titanium handle and OC baseplate is 34g heavier and roughly 8mm longer. Unfortunately I had a great BBS shave last night so I will wait till Tmw to fire up the new Ti. Once I get familiar with it I will do a side by side comparison

EC22010F-61B1-4F90-9E0A-0C7E4CA65FB4.jpeg

Taiga Titanium adjustable razor

Polsilver (Poland) blade

Chubby 2 Brush

CC Copper bowl

ETHOS Lavender soap & Post Shave Serum

Inaugural shave with the Ti Taiga. Let me start with if you are OCD about your shaveware you may be spending more time bringing this razor back to its polished shine. My top cap and parts are very high polished, equal to my High polished Wolfman Ti razors. I played around with different levels on my WTG pass. I found blade feel at about 2.5 but it was very smooth all the way to 5 where I stopped today. Very different than my Rex which starts to feel harsh at 4 (for me).

WTG Stayed at level 5 for the majority of the shave and was rewarded with a very smooth DFS

XTG I dropped down to a level 4 and it was very smooth, leaving me BBS on my cheeks but my chin, upper lip and under the jaw needed a 3rd pass.

ATG. I dropped down to 3 and could just get some blade feel, this 3rd pass left me BBS without nicks, cuts or irritation. I did an Alum pass and felt my normal sensation of just a small sting. Face wash and ETHOS post shave and I’m ready for tonight’s meeting.

Like the Gibbs and Rex and the SS Taiga the razor is slightly head heavy, but easy to maneuver. The size is close to my Fatboy, yet lighter. I was very happy with this first shave but need to play with it more to get the full experience. You can easily dial it around 3 times, much like the Rocnel Sailor so I will need to open it up more to see how far I can go. For today, I can say this can easily be a daily shaver, even for people who prefer a mild shave.

I have to admit that titanium model looks very sexy, seems to have a high level of finish as you mentioned. My stainless steel just left Russia so hopefully only a few more weeks. Glad to hear the new model is milder than the Rex—that’s why I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Razor Co might be gone. Tried Chrome and Edge no luck

Check your URL for typos?

The Razor Company site has been up and working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom