What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the fence and seeing the stock slowly counting down almost pushed me over. But I was bummed to see no OC plate offering and in the end i couldn’t justify the cost. Who knows maybe the 3rd run is for me. Looking forward to reading the new reviews!

@HabanaRon watches are actually a very good anchor point. it is the most unnecessary and at the same time probably the only broadly accepted accesoire/jewlery men can wear. [rightfully so imho]. its, like you said, even dispensable on top of that. let us try to price that in lol. i try..

the thing is, that it even can be at some point be objectively seen, bc it is a relative simple numbers game with gigantic unlinearities in unfavor of razors. enormous unfavorable. look at the entry barriers of these two men only/men dominated markets, they could not possibly divergence more.
if we compare the level of expertise of building one, the number of parts, the size of them and the tolerances at work, the capex needed (!) to entry, the materials used and the necessity/unnessasity to finally own one. boy oh boy oh boy 600 for a lil razor is other dimension expensive. you need three (3!) of the bulkiest of the bulkiest parts built by a machine. hahahhaha. thats it. (taiga is ten i believe)

look at the prices of entry level watches of the most prestigious brands. i talk vacheron constantin, jaeger lecoultre, lange&söhne, patek,..we talk about some of the most expensive and prestigious hitters of possible heavy hitters outhere. not rolex clowns and not if they can build theoretically a functional tool, these are the big boys. so we need to try to further price in brand prestige also. brands/companies that are around for hundrets of years, not guys who know a guy who was unhappy at collage with razors and decided to (let) this damn 3 bulky part thing build kind of operations. there are masters of craft at work (actually jobs with very particular education and decades of doing it)

for all that in summation, 17k€ for this
1.jpg

overall 3mm thin masterpiece strapped with crocodile leather is a enormous gigantic ******* bargain in comparison (gold, rhodium-plated gold, silver, 21 jewels, overall tolerances, hand-engraved on the tiniest spots imaginable, mirror polished parts you will never ever see - just for ultimate precission…). let that sink in.

that razors game right now cant be right. it isnt. objectively. its highly and hugely inflated pricewise.

homelike, if you read this, i really like you, i hope you target the rolex competition with your offerings and not your customers with squeeze moves, fantasy taxes, future price hikes or reduced anything. stay calm, but 600 is too much. objectively. its cheap titanium not gold. to the rolex guys, gl, you gonna need it - bc you aint rolex.

Last edited:
A while ago when I bought a Vostok watch directly from a Russian website I was told by some folks on a Facebook watch group that if you change your currency to Russian rubles before you buy a watch or watch parts/accessories etc, you get them much cheaper than if you buy them with US dollars. For whatever reason it seems that this isn't an isolated case and it's very common. Are they doing it on purpose or not, I don't know.

I think if you pay paypal-5% is taken by the system itself. In addition, the risks of returning by mail in Russia and the world at a price are different. As for the titanium taiga, I didn't notice much difference in the price.

Thats personal preference. There is nothing wrong with that choice and nobody can argue with it. I, for instance, wouldn't buy a Wolfman. Wolfman does nothing for me, not aesthetically nor anything else. The name alone, as irrelevant as it is and might be, seems actually comical to me and turns me off for good. I'm a grown man, I don't wear batman underwear, no superman pyjama, and for similar reasons i have no use for a wolfman razor either.

Can it be that they are both just absurdly overpriced? I know that you said 'if', so thats more general and not particular meant towards your direction.

While titanium sounds cool and all, i get it, but it isn't a that expensive, precious or a unique raw material that justifies this price range to begin with. It isn't rare either. Not even close.

The problem is that everybody is so conditioned and almost monkey like trained to accept these absurdities that even a stainless option can go for big big bucks in nominal money terms.
For instance, there is exactly zero special about stainless steel. Nada. Actually its dirt dirt cheap, but as soon as a simple razor is stainless - everybody goes 'uhhhhhh' & 'ahhhhhh', 'fanastic offering, well worth it'. A baseplate of a few grams for x-amount, in bulk produced from a machine. 'Well worth it'. lol

Don't know if its legitimate, sincere or clever to set probably the most absurd priced razor in the industry like the Wolfman Ti as a benchmark for future pricesstructure or pricediscovery to be honest, atleast not in my book.
You are right, it is based on my preferences. We don’t get a lot of Russian products here in the US. Other than Buluga Caviar, Russian products aren’t really known for high quality. That is my concern. This razor might be the best quality razor in the world but it is gonna take a lot of convincing for me to spend several hundred dollars for it. That said I will be following reviews. I have no problem being proved wrong.

I think its a huge mistake for Homelike to change the Taiga to begin with but to charge more money for the SS version without an OC plate like they previously offered is like committing business suicide. The changes they made were very minimal and they're offering less for more money. That alone is reason enough for "me" to not give them my money!! As to the Titanium, $600 is way out of my ballpark much less reports that the currency exchange difference puts American's paying $690 with fee's and such which makes it even worse!!

My personal feeling is the Titanium is that much for the exact same reason that the H&S Ti PO76 is $600, the guy refuses to not only make them in a quantity that brings down the cost of the razor but the lead time on the Ti PO76 is some 6-8 weeks so the guy isn't even interested in actually stocking the razor!! As to the Taiga, it looks like it was only a release of 50 pcs much like the H&S and they have already sold half of them so I'm thinking they knew what they were doing all along and could care less about selling more for less money... Just my opinion...

I think its a huge mistake for Homelike to change the Taiga to begin with but to charge more money for the SS version without an OC plate like they previously offered is like committing business suicide. The changes they made were very minimal and they're offering less for more money. That alone is reason enough for "me" to not give them my money!! As to the Titanium, $600 is way out of my ballpark much less reports that the currency exchange difference puts American's paying $690 with fee's and such which makes it even worse!!

My personal feeling is the Titanium is that much for the exact same reason that the H&S Ti PO76 is $600, the guy refuses to not only make them in a quantity that brings down the cost of the razor but the lead time on the Ti PO76 is some 6-8 weeks so the guy isn't even interested in actually stocking the razor!! As to the Taiga, it looks like it was only a release of 50 pcs much like the H&S and they have already sold half of them so I'm thinking they knew what they were doing all along and could care less about selling more for less money... Just my opinion...

Yeah I don’t disagree with you on this. The law of economics always applies I suppose, but it’s definitely frustrating and not the best business decision if you want to get more of these razors out to eager hands to review / promote and sell more of your product, gain market share, etc. At least keep it the same price if the OC Baseplate is included or slightly decrease the price - $215-225 [emoji2369]. I can’t remember exactly what I paid last January... maybe ~$270 after shipping but all things considered I think that’s pretty fair with the adjustability and both baseplates. I shifted a couple items in the den to offset it and have been extremely satisfied. My 2 cents.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I think the titanium taiga in the amount of 50 pieces is a model for collectors. Of these, 10 with cubic zirconia are even more expensive. I received a titanium taiga today and according to my feelings, the workmanship is very high, the polishing is at the level of the basic Wolfman. A box of wood ties. Everything speaks of collectability. But I will definitely try it in shaving.

Unfortunately, I think the titanium taiga in the amount of 50 pieces is a model for collectors. Of these, 10 with cubic zirconia are even more expensive. I received a titanium taiga today and according to my feelings, the workmanship is very high, the polishing is at the level of the basic Wolfman. A box of wood ties. Everything speaks of collectability. But I will definitely try it in shaving.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Ti

@Medivh was it also close to 25%? how much was shipping? seems to be here a lil on the excessive side as well imo

I think i've got it for around 15$ less and I had to pay the same amount for shipping, but I also bought a stainless steel bezel and a signet crown (also cheaper) and I was able to get free shipping. So basically, i've got the parts for free and i've paid around 75$, which is the price of the watch in US dollars. This is their website.

Reactions: ogu

Look forward to your thoughts. Mine will probably be in US customs for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A post from HomelikeShaving from another shave forum giving a brief explanation on the discrepancy of price variations from Rubles to USD currency. Seems logical and an effort to keep pricing a bit lower for international customers.

Good morning
I will try to answer all your fair comments.
At the moment, there really is a difference on the site between the price in rubles and the price in dollars, which mainly consists of a very high bank commission for working with the Paypal service, Paypal itself, and a small percentage in the form of insurance for potential returns. Based on the frequent requests of our clients in connection with this issue, we decided to change the bank, with which we agreed on the best working conditions.
We hope that next week it will be possible to pay directly in rubles at the same cost for everyone. Most likely, we will have to refuse to work with Paypal in the future, since our new bank requires the removal of the cost of payment in dollars since we are located in Russia and must accept payments in our own currency. I would like to note that we issue all overseas orders with a low invoice, which will avoid additional customs duties.
Most of the steel version of the razor sold out in less than a day. The next batch of razors is already in production, including the open-head version.

A post from HomelikeShaving from another shave forum giving a brief explanation on the discrepancy of price variations from Rubles to USD currency. Seems logical and an effort to keep pricing a bit lower for international customers.

Good morning
I will try to answer all your fair comments.
At the moment, there really is a difference on the site between the price in rubles and the price in dollars, which mainly consists of a very high bank commission for working with the Paypal service, Paypal itself, and a small percentage in the form of insurance for potential returns. Based on the frequent requests of our clients in connection with this issue, we decided to change the bank, with which we agreed on the best working conditions.
We hope that next week it will be possible to pay directly in rubles at the same cost for everyone. Most likely, we will have to refuse to work with Paypal in the future, since our new bank requires the removal of the cost of payment in dollars since we are located in Russia and must accept payments in our own currency. I would like to note that we issue all overseas orders with a low invoice, which will avoid additional customs duties.
Most of the steel version of the razor sold out in less than a day. The next batch of razors is already in production, including the open-head version.
Open head version as in they’re bringing back the open comb option for the taiga???!!

Open comb back, now we are talking.....otherwise it's a waste of money plus a long "Russian roulette" wait.
I emailed them for confirmation but no reply yet. I put in an order for one without thinking “oh well” and if this is the case then I want to make sure I get the OC as well. Not sure if price will stay the same or what

OOF! They are still trying to play the money squeezing game. Just saw this email from about an hour ago. RIP

Attachments

• 574093CC-CDCF-4472-B5F7-768F8D06B792.png
    574093CC-CDCF-4472-B5F7-768F8D06B792.png
    565.8 KB · Views: 73
For $250 just one baseplate.....forgetaboutit!!! Russian money grab. And the Ti version, good for Blad and his comrades.
My thoughts too at this point. Trying to figure out if it’s going to be possible to buy a separate base plate without the whole razor set.... I’ll bet they say no and that will be that and I’m cancelling the order....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom