What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine as well

Mine too. I could getter it a little closer than the photo by making sure all the parts were tight, but it’s off by several degrees. Actually good news that they are all that way, means it’s not manufacturing variance just a minor design flaw.

Anyone have a first generation? Is it also off center like this?

Also, what’s the max someone has shaved with it? It goes all the way up effectively to a monstrous 14!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine too. I could getter it a little closer than the photo by making sure all the parts were tight, but it’s off by several degrees. Actually good news that they are all that way, means it’s not manufacturing variance just a minor design flaw.

Anyone have a first generation? Is it also off center like this?

Also, what’s the max someone has shaved with it? It goes all the way up effectively to a monstrous 14!

proxy.php

Lol yes I have a V1 - very similar even when tightened tightly all the way down (see pics). V1 only opens up one full turn and a little extra (close to an 8). It’s more than enough for me [emoji51]. Cheers.

Josh

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Interesting the total amount the baseplate can retract appears to be greater in the latest lot. Doesn’t seem to matter much, definitely not usable at the maximum level unless you like devets!

Well, for what it’s worth, I liked the stainless model so much, as in my favorite razor out of over a hundred models I have modern and vintage, that I ordered the Titanium and it arrived today! I have to say, I found the stainless to be awesome, but the titanium is just that and more. The machining is just incredible, to cut such thin pieces from Titanium stock like this. This is easily the best production razor, and frankly if I had bought it two years ago I would have saved thousands in RAD hunting for the best shave. This thing is so smooth, and because it’s adjustable means I can have whatever efficiency or aggression I need at the same time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How much are new buyers missing out on not getting the OC baseplate (which used to be included and is apparently no longer available)?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim,

Everyone is different... depends on whether you like OC or not. I do, and it was a huge reason why I tried the Taiga (and very happy that I did). I wasn’t planning on getting another Adjustable especially not at a premium price because I really had a pretty good collection of razors. However the OC baseplate option intrigued me because it was the only one (as far as I know anyway) and the fact that it was fully machined SS (V1 anyway), and the initial pass around reviews were in unison regarding its smoothness (even at high blade gaps). I ended up selling several razors after starting to use it and I picked up a second one in case I have a son [emoji1694] as I love it that much. I did also acquire a Ti Handle and do enjoy the difference in razor maneuverability alternating handles. Good luck with your decision. [emoji1360]

Josh

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I asked of them a question or two this morning...and got an answer. Not sure I like the answer all that much as part of the appeal to me would be having two baseplate options.

1620214072255.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

Everyone is different... depends on whether you like OC or not. I do, and it was a huge reason why I tried the Taiga (and very happy that I did). I wasn’t planning on getting another Adjustable especially not at a premium price because I really had a pretty good collection of razors. However the OC baseplate option intrigued me because it was the only one (as far as I know anyway) and the fact that it was fully machined SS (V1 anyway), and the initial pass around reviews were in unison regarding its smoothness (even at high blade gaps). I ended up selling several razors after starting to use it and I picked up a second one in case I have a son [emoji1694] as I love it that much. I did also acquire a Ti Handle and do enjoy the difference in razor maneuverability alternating handles. Good luck with your decision. [emoji1360]

Josh

Josh, I like OC razors too.

How did you acquire a Ti handle? I'm not sure I understand how the handles can be swapped on an adjustable razor, but I've not seen this razor taken apart so much about it seems mysterious to me.

What's not mysterious is the reviews which seem universally laudatory.

Not to spoil anyone's party, but the reviews of the Thater Premium Boar were also universally over the moon.

Which means nothing as it relates to this razor except I'm always aware of having had that boar experience.

The Ti handle you're using with this razor is one made for the razor, right, but acquired separately from the SS razor?

Happy shaves,

Jim

It seems the Taiga and the Muramasa are the top dogs in the in the world of adjustables right now, Muramasa being the alpha but the Taiga being more reasonably priced.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It seems the Taiga and the Muramasa are the top dogs in the in the world of adjustables right now, Muramasa being the alpha but the Taiga being more reasonably priced.

1620215799331.png

Hadn't heard of it before, but took a few moments to look at it. Very interesting design. Link.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

How did you acquire a Ti handle? I'm not sure I understand how the handles can be swapped on an adjustable razor, but I've not seen this razor taken apart so much about it seems mysterious to me.

Not to spoil anyone's party, but the reviews of the Thater Premium Boar were also universally over the moon.

Which means nothing as it relates to this razor except I'm always aware of having had that boar experience.

The Ti handle you're using with this razor is one made for the razor, right, but acquired separately from the SS razor?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim,

Yes it is made for the Taiga. If you see any video reviews of the razor, it 100% disassembles for easy cleaning and drying. Homelikeshaving sells a Ti Handle (hollow machined tube with good gnurling) to decrease the weight by a little and it does make a difference. I enjoy both handles. Here’s a pic to illustrate disassembly.

Josh

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I personally don't use OC's so I'm quite happy as it is.
I absolutely love the Taiga.
Distinct case of YMMV - I very seldom use the SB plate.
I find the OC has a little bit more blade feel but is hugely more efficient.
I made a shorter handle for mine, but of the original handles I prefer the Stainless Steel one.

We do agree that its a awesome razor..

Yes... I inquired regarding this last fall and heard the same. I think they hope to sell twice as many razors this way unfortunately [emoji2369].

Josh

I’d guess it has to do with limited production capacity, not greed: If you are having difficulty keeping up with demand for complete razors, it doesn’t make sense to use production time for stand alone optional parts, as that just makes the wait times for complete razors longer.

I’d guess it has to do with limited production capacity, not greed: If you are having difficulty keeping up with demand for complete razors, it doesn’t make sense to use production time for stand alone optional parts, as that just makes the wait times for complete razors longer.

Yeah fair enough... it may not necessarily be planned financial gain / benefit by forcing consumers to buy two complete kits. Anyways, reason why I jumped on a sale in the forums by another member to have one for a hopeful future son. They are that good!

I do enjoy the option of swapping baseplates depending on several days between shaves. Who doesn’t like more options??? [emoji1]

Yeah fair enough... it may not necessarily be planned financial gain / benefit by forcing consumers to buy two complete kits. Anyways, reason why I jumped on a sale in the forums by another member to have one for a hopeful future son. They are that good!

I do enjoy the option of swapping baseplates depending on several days between shaves. Who doesn’t like more options??? [emoji1]

Oh I’m with you, I like having both OC and SB plates whenever possible :thumbsup: And without having to buy another complete razor!

I’ve just worked in small scale production before and understand the challenges. Having been there, I can appreciate that this may be their best option at the moment for trying to keep complete razor production flowing while still offering the option of both OC and SB to customers. Hopefully individual plate sets will return as an option in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom