What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recieved my Taiga SS 2 weeks ago. It’s a fantastic shaver. 6 shaves in Well worth the wait. Shavemd’s assessment of it is spot on. I really like the Rex but this has taken the crown. I only shaved with the Rex to compare. Found the It feels that slight bit rough even on 1. Whereas the Taiga is soo smooth all the way to 5. Haven’t tried higher yet.

I’ve had a few more shaves with the SS Taiga. Very smooth and comfortable, really enjoying the shaves.
It’s fairly head heavy, especially compared to other razors I’m used to, but not to the point where it affects the overall balance and manoeuvrability.
I do find though that, when I hold it, it’s more comfortable if I rest my index finger on the adjustment dial. Although I certainly wouldn’t say it’s loose, the adjustment dial seems fairly easy to twist to a different level, so I do wonder if I might unintentionally end up moving it with my finger whilst shaving...

What do other people think?
Especially those who have used a Taiga razor from this second batch, as I’m not sure if there were any changes made between the first batch last year and the second one last month (in terms of how easy it is to twist the dial).
Or maybe it’s just me and my fat fingers... :)

Last edited:
Last night I did a side by side comparison of my original SS Taiga vs Ti Taiga. I set the original on 6 and the Ti once around back to 1 (6)
Brown PolSilver blade in both
ETHOS soap & Post Shave serum
Mozingo ZT3 brush
The Ti is obviously lighter and has a softer face feel but other than that the shave was nearly identical giving me a BBS in 2 passes with a few touch ups. I am just starting to get some growth 18 hours later.

26B4C61F-7B3D-41E2-8D06-5A899CB7AC2B.jpeg

Last night I did a side by side comparison of my original SS Taiga vs Ti Taiga. I set the original on 6 and the Ti once around back to 1 (6)
Brown PolSilver blade in both
ETHOS soap & Post Shave serum
Mozingo ZT3 brush
The Ti is obviously lighter and has a softer face feel but other than that the shave was nearly identical giving me a BBS in 2 passes with a few touch ups. I am just starting to get some growth 18 hours later.

View attachment 1251861

Mahvelous pair of Taiga's my friend. Congrats on the Ti... :thumbsup:

Tonight with a little over 2 days growth I dialed up the Ti Taiga to 9 (once around and to the 4)

Blade PolSilver Poland 2nd shave

Ethos soap & Post Shave Serum

Mozingo ZT1

My first pass was WTG and the blade could definitely be felt but it was very smooth. When I was finished I did a rinse and was near BBS, definitely on the cheeks and most of my neck. Nothing has cleared this much on the first pass excluding the Ikon Tech.

2nd pass was more of a touchup of the upper lip and under the jaw line and it yielded a wife approved BBS shave.

As a daily shaver most of the time I will probably stay 5 and below but it is good to know you can dial up this razor and get amazingly smooth results. I like this Ti so much I just sold my original SS Taiga as I do not need the open comb baseplate to tackle my wirey grey beard. The SB does the job if I need to dial it up.
D6D52556-729A-4525-9B1C-6182413C2488.jpeg

All this talk about the titanium Taiga... I had to pull my SS one out to play tonight. It never disappoints. TBH, I could easily shave with it the rest of my life and not be disappointed. It truly is an incredibly designed and engineered razor - having infinite adjustability, ease of disassembly, and SB plus OC options all in one?? [emoji7] If I have a son someday, it will be gifted to him.

proxy.php

The Razorock Unlabeled soap and Pierre Cardin AS weren’t too bad either. I may repeat this setup all weekend.

Happy Healthy Shaves all. [emoji1360]

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonight with a little over 2 days growth I dialed up the Ti Taiga to 9 (once around and to the 4)

Blade PolSilver Poland 2nd shave

Ethos soap & Post Shave Serum

Mozingo ZT1

My first pass was WTG and the blade could definitely be felt but it was very smooth. When I was finished I did a rinse and was near BBS, definitely on the cheeks and most of my neck. Nothing has cleared this much on the first pass excluding the Ikon Tech.

2nd pass was more of a touchup of the upper lip and under the jaw line and it yielded a wife approved BBS shave.

As a daily shaver most of the time I will probably stay 5 and below but it is good to know you can dial up this razor and get amazingly smooth results. I like this Ti so much I just sold my original SS Taiga as I do not need the open comb baseplate to tackle my wirey grey beard. The SB does the job if I need to dial it up. View attachment 1252535
All this talk about the titanium Taiga... I had to pull my SS one out to play tonight. It never disappoints. TBH, I could easily shave with it the rest of my life and not be disappointed. It truly is an incredibly designed and engineered razor - having infinite adjustability, ease of disassembly, and SB plus OC options all in one?? [emoji7] If I have a son someday, it will be gifted to him.

proxy.php

The Razorock Unlabeled soap and Pierre Cardin AS weren’t too bad either. I may repeat this setup all weekend.

Happy Healthy Shaves all. [emoji1360]

Josh

Fantastic posts, gents. Bravo.... :a14::a14:

I will try to reduce redundancy as @Shavemd has covered this razor very thoroughly in his posts. I ordered the razor exactly one month ago to this day.

The finish is a mirror polish which I would rank third behind H&S and Wolfman. Very nicely done. Extra points because internal components were also mirror polished. I will knock them on the lettering as it is very poorly executed. Several of the letters on the base plate are half colored in. Others have very messy edges. Not sure how this was overlooked in QAQC for a razor of this price. Its not enough of an annoyance to reach out to HLS, but you will not find QAQC issues like this in other >$400 USD razors( I paid 600+ before the price drop).

The shave was enjoyable. This was also my first shave with Ethos soap and honestly it was the MVP of this shave. I'm trying to focus on the Taiga, but I should acknowledge Ethos soap's contribution to the experience. The knurling is shallow, but it is appropriate given the light weight of the razor. Always felt secure in hand. Very smooth and buffing did not lead to any irritation. I chose level 3 for the first shave as I am less than 24 HR growth. I turned it up to 5 for a few spots to test it out. It created more blade-feel but it was still very smooth.

The shave was enjoyable enough for me to decide to skip the 2021 Sailor. For me the weight is the only thing the Taiga does better than the sailor. I do enjoy the shave of the sailor more, but I am now spoiled with the titanium. I will wait for Murat's titanium model for my next adjustable purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_7281.jpg
    IMG_7281.jpg
    958.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7283.jpg
    IMG_7283.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7284.jpg
    IMG_7284.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7287.jpg
    IMG_7287.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Needed a quick shave before church this morning so I dialed the Ti up to 5 and did a very quick 2 pass shave. BBS everywhere except jawline and upper lip but definitely nice and clean for church. The BBS when I used level 9 did not last as long as an IKON Tech or Sailor dialed up but did give me about 18 hours.

Needed a quick shave before church this morning so I dialed the Ti up to 5 and did a very quick 2 pass shave. BBS everywhere except jawline and upper lip but definitely nice and clean for church. The BBS when I used level 9 did not last as long as an IKON Tech or Sailor dialed up but did give me about 18 hours.

What blade were you using?

My stainless and stand arrived today. First reaction is build quality and finish is excellent. Second reaction is they really were trying to make it like a Gibbs, and it really resembles it in many ways. I took it apart and put it back together and it feels like what a higher quality non plastic parts Gibbs would feel like. Tolerance on the parts are high, fits together tightly. Very nice, up there with timeless in quality.

I loaded a blade, and the negative blade exposure is obvious, another big plus as I’m looking for a mild adjustable. On setting one the blade gap appears to be a little wider than a Gibbs on one, but blade exposure is more negative than a Gibbs so not completely comparable.

I will take it for a spin in the morning, going to start on a two as I shaved today. Will let you all know how it goes:)

Shaved on 2.5 this morning wtg, and 2.0 xtg, with a gillette yellow on its third use and truefitt lime cream. Weight is hefty, but not too heavy in use, just feels solid.

Regarding the shave: spectacular, smooth and efficient but not aggressive at all. Smoother than a Gibbs adjustable by far. Just a hair less smooth than a RR Mamba 0.7, but much more efficient even at these lower settings. I achieved BBS in two passes above the chin and a DFS on the kneck, all with just two mild passes. No post-shave irritation, which I'll get using a yellow with a more aggressive razor. Definitely worth the money and made me a believer. I've used a ton of razors, and this is the best adjustable I've used vintage or modern, and up there with the best fixed razors like the RFB, Leresche models, or modern Phoenix Meta4.

I will try to reduce redundancy as @Shavemd has covered this razor very thoroughly in his posts. I ordered the razor exactly one month ago to this day.

The finish is a mirror polish which I would rank third behind H&S and Wolfman. Very nicely done. Extra points because internal components were also mirror polished. I will knock them on the lettering as it is very poorly executed. Several of the letters on the base plate are half colored in. Others have very messy edges. Not sure how this was overlooked in QAQC for a razor of this price. Its not enough of an annoyance to reach out to HLS, but you will not find QAQC issues like this in other >$400 USD razors( I paid 600+ before the price drop).

The shave was enjoyable. This was also my first shave with Ethos soap and honestly it was the MVP of this shave. I'm trying to focus on the Taiga, but I should acknowledge Ethos soap's contribution to the experience. The knurling is shallow, but it is appropriate given the light weight of the razor. Always felt secure in hand. Very smooth and buffing did not lead to any irritation. I chose level 3 for the first shave as I am less than 24 HR growth. I turned it up to 5 for a few spots to test it out. It created more blade-feel but it was still very smooth.

The shave was enjoyable enough for me to decide to skip the 2021 Sailor. For me the weight is the only thing the Taiga does better than the sailor. I do enjoy the shave of the sailor more, but I am now spoiled with the titanium. I will wait for Murat's titanium model for my next adjustable purchase.

Have been using my SS Taiga daily since I got it, and love it, very smooth and comfortable throughout all the levels I’ve tried so far.

Agree with your comments about the quality of the polishing, but also with your criticism of the black paint/ enamel. My razor also has some small parts of a couple of letters where the enamel is already missing.
Not quite sure if it was like that from the beginning, or whether it happened during use in the last couple of weeks. I have a feeling it will gradually get worse with use, and eventually all the black enamel will disappear... not sure it was such a great idea in the first place, as it was unlikely to last...
Hopefully the numbers and the small red triangle will fare better and remain visible...

Out of curiosity done anyone else’s razor stop slightly off center of the razor 1 setting?

Attachments

• 2FCE4272-0781-492F-8D9F-68B48B284604.jpeg
    2FCE4272-0781-492F-8D9F-68B48B284604.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom