What's new

Top blades

My favorite blades are Feather, Gillette Nacet, Gillette Permasharp, Astra SP (Russian), Rapira Platinum Plus, and Wizamet IS.

Second tier: Shark Platinum, Gillette Platinum Blue (Russian), Gillette Silver Blue (Russian).

If I had to pick one… it is an easy choice. Feather blades work well in every single one of my razors that I have used so far.

An underrated blade IMO is the BIC chrome blade. sings in my Overlander. Very sharp, but also very smooth. Probably my favorite blade.

Of the super-sharp Gillettes (Platinum, Nacet, 7-oclock black, and Perma-sharp) my favorite is Perma-sharp. Mostly used in my Hensons and Karve Overlander.

Another great blade, which it seems you already have, is Derby Premium. Very smooth, and significantly sharper than Extra (yuck). They don't last very long, but do give me a solid 2 shaves. They are very cheap, as well. I use these in my SS Apex, Rex Konsul, Yaqi Final Cut (my more aggressive razors).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My preference is for PolSilver SI/Wizamet. I think I still have about 500 PolSilver and 250 Wizamet, so it will be a while before I'm shopping.

Personna Med Prep/Labs or Blues are both very nice blades. The last I knew they were made in different locations and I found the Med Preps had slightly better QC - but not enough to pay twice as much for most people. Sharp blades with excellent longevity.

Gillette Platinum are pretty nice blades. Feathers are nice, but too expensive for the 2 good shaves they give me. Gillette Yellows are pretty nice. Greens are very smooth for me, but not sharp enough. I think they might be my favorite if they were a good fit for my beard. I found King C blades too inconsistent (although I've only used 10), but a couple of the good ones were really very good with great longevity (the packaging was beyond stupid).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I bought the blades from razor blade club. They had both Dorco - Titan listed and I bought both. The packaging is different but I believe it's the same blade.

from rbc website for both:
  • Manufacturer: Dorco Co., Ltd.
  • Coating: PTFE
  • Add 10 blades to receive a full pack

Box of 10 - front
View attachment 1811300

Back of the box - Bar code is the same
View attachment 1811301

Blades - Front
View attachment 1811302

Blades - back
View attachment 1811303

Blades unpacked
View attachment 1811304

So, did I buy twice the same thing?

@dmshaver, David, just in case you missed this post, I forgot to tag you. Have you seen the Small Head Spartan Dorco blades? I looked at the Wiki page and only saw Big Head Spartan. I can take new pictures of Small Head with a white background for the Wiki if required.

I have not tried them yet but will likely try them very closely in time to ensure that they are the same or not.

I just finished my 5th shave with the new Indian Astra SP this morning and it’s as good as any Russian one. Given the great price and the fact that this blade works in pretty much every razor I use, I’ll probably stock up on them before they jack up the price or discontinue it altogether. $26 buys about 4 years worth of blades at the current price and my use rate.

@dmshaver, David, just in case you missed this post, I forgot to tag you. Have you seen the Small Head Spartan Dorco blades? I looked at the Wiki page and only saw Big Head Spartan. I can take new pictures of Small Head with a white background for the Wiki if required.

I have not tried them yet but will likely try them very closely in time to ensure that they are the same or not.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have not seen the small head Titan before. If you can take the photos for the wiki it would be appreciated.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have not seen the small head Titan before. If you can take the photos for the wiki it would be appreciated.
No problem, I will do something shortly.

I recently bought the “7G’s” pack off of Amazon to try something other than the Feather High Stainless I’ve been using for some time. It included the Cult of GSB represented and a few of the others I’ve seen mentioned favorably. I also independently bought some KC Gillette and Van der Hagen on business trips after the TSA confiscated my blades in carryon baggage.

I only routinely use one razor; a trusty old Chatsworth Lined DE89 from EJ.

This is my initial ranking from best to last:

1. Feather HS (JAP)
2. 7 o’clock Green (RUS)
3. Astra SS (RUS)
4. KC Gillette (CHI)
5. GSB (RUS)
6. Nacet (RUS)
7. Gillette Platinum (RUS)
8. Astra Platinum (RUS)
9. Goal (CHI)
10. Van der Hagen (GER)

I can only conclude, that I’m not too keen on platinum coated blades, Feather notwithstanding.

IMG_4061.jpeg

Top Bottom