What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
the internal shop currency conversion rate is a complete rip-off. there is no ifs, whats or buts about it. you can send rubles in paypal. thats a lame excuse. there is no need to put 25% hidden tax on top of it.
in euro its even worse since pp would put another 2-4% on top of the top since € to $ would be applied afterwards.

i aint a huge fan of such tactics. its basically a foreigner idiot tax and a squeeze. not mildly, but 25% squeeze

Also, those guys despise Americans....at least according to a friend of mine who is 2nd gen Russian-American and is fluent.

Ordered mine 4 days ago and it hasn’t shipped out yet. How long does it usually take for them to ship items?

i ordered on the 18th via air freight shipping. Shipped on the 19th. It’s near Moscow now about to fly overseas. We’ll see how long it gets held up in customs. My experience with my recent orders from tibam has been a week to clear customs USA-side

I have a titanium taiga and if wolfman is so cheap, I am ready to exchange it for a titanium wolfman. But at the same time, Taiga is the first adjustable razor made of titanium.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

I can’t help but think if I was going to spend as much money as they are asking for this razor I would spend it on a Wolfman.
Thats personal preference. There is nothing wrong with that choice and nobody can argue with it. I, for instance, wouldn't buy a Wolfman. Wolfman does nothing for me, not aesthetically nor anything else. The name alone, as irrelevant as it is and might be, seems actually comical to me and turns me off for good. I'm a grown man, I don't wear batman underwear, no superman pyjama, and for similar reasons i have no use for a wolfman razor either.

Can it be that they are both just absurdly overpriced? I know that you said 'if', so thats more general and not particular meant towards your direction.

While titanium sounds cool and all, i get it, but it isn't a that expensive, precious or a unique raw material that justifies this price range to begin with. It isn't rare either. Not even close.

The problem is that everybody is so conditioned and almost monkey like trained to accept these absurdities that even a stainless option can go for big big bucks in nominal money terms.
For instance, there is exactly zero special about stainless steel. Nada. Actually its dirt dirt cheap, but as soon as a simple razor is stainless - everybody goes 'uhhhhhh' & 'ahhhhhh', 'fanastic offering, well worth it'. A baseplate of a few grams for x-amount, in bulk produced from a machine. 'Well worth it'. lol

I have a titanium taiga and if wolfman is so cheap, I am ready to exchange it for a titanium wolfman. But at the same time, Taiga is the first adjustable razor made of titanium.
Don't know if its legitimate, sincere or clever to set probably the most absurd priced razor in the industry like the Wolfman Ti as a benchmark for future pricesstructure or pricediscovery to be honest, atleast not in my book.

Can it be that they are both just absurdly overpriced?

In one word, “yes”. Of course they are.
Whether they are SS, titanium, or kryptonite, the costs of the material and manufacturing don’t justify the prices they’re going for...
They’re just razors in the end, they might be shinier and shave a bit better/ smoother than a $30-40 pot metal razor, but not by so much to justify the price difference.

That can be said about lots of things we buy, though, whether they’re classed as “luxury items” or not...
Which could lead to a much bigger (and likely never ending...) discussion about what is a “luxury item”, how we decide what a certain item is actually worth, etc, etc
I guess in the end it will come down to the “free market”, what people are willing to pay for them, ie enough of us (myself included in this case, unfortunately...) having the “bug” and being willing to pay those prices...
And we’ll justify it to ourselves by the “joy” and “pleasure” we get from owning and using them... :)
And also the fact that most of us have several of these “The One Razor”, rather than actually just one...
Call it “hobby”, “addiction”, “First World problem”... or anything else that comes to mind...

Last edited:
Reactions: ogu
Not gonna lie... it’s a difficult decision for you guys to make. If version 2 shaves the same as V1, it’ll be a winner. Granted, I haven’t shaved with every single DE razor, I’ve shaved with quite a few modern and vintage razors... The original Taiga is close to if not the smoothest razor my gruff beard has ever experienced - even with the OC baseplate installed. Mine originally adjusted a little rough and they fixed that as well. So I can’t complain about their customer service... took a while considering the distance but they took care of me.

I agree that it sounds like they are riding on the success of the first batch to sell at a more premium price [emoji848]. Law of economics I suppose... not ideal for the customer though.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seems to me this is overall a much better option than the Rex.

In my opinion it is... I had a Rex and sold it after I got the Taiga. The Taiga completely comes apart (very easily) to clean and dry out, has a wider adjustability, has both CB and OC options (1st run anyway), and is so much smoother even at higher blade gaps.

I couldn’t shave with the Rex at higher settings either... always felt harsh on my skin and left me with irritation.

In my opinion it is... I had a Rex and sold it after I got the Taiga. The Taiga completely comes apart (very easily) to clean and dry out, has a wider adjustability, has both CB and OC options (1st run anyway), and is so much smoother even at higher blade gaps.

I couldn’t shave with the Rex at higher settings either... always felt harsh on my skin and left me with irritation.

thanks, that was my overall impression from reading this thread, and you verbalised it spot on! cheers.

Maybe we can get Pearl in India or Yaqi in China to make a more affordable copy of this razor.

BTW, the cost of a stainless steel razor in ridiculously small batches (ie <100) is not the material used but the CNC milling (operator cost + rental, usually around $90 / hour in developed countries)

Discussions regarding value and worth are always subjective. It all depends on a given individual's criteria and means. Certainly, if only a DFS was the sole criterion, I'd have saved a chunk of change. And don't get me started on watches. After all, a cell phone tells the time just fine. No one can reasonably say, to another, what is right or wrong for them, nor should they.

I, personally, prefer adjustable razors and, having had a pot metal razor I liked deteriorate on me (despite being well cared for), I prefer stainless steel. As such, I would not have hesitated to drop $250 on this razor, if not for the fact that I get exceptional shaves from the Rex Ambassador. As such, there isn't an open spot in my den for the Taiga. And, I personally don't value titanium enough to spend $600. I'm not even sure I'd like the titanium version, as I prefer heavy razors. But that's me!

I am looking forward to reading the reviews on the 2nd generation Taiga and wish you guys happy shaves!

I paid 690 for the Sailor which is stainless steel(188 grams!) and doesn't come with a stand. I also paid 600 for the H&S titanium which arrived in a lunch box. My only issue with the cost is the difference between the currencies and a lack of option for the consumer to chose. Besides that annoyance its probable appropriately priced due to the scale of the operation and lack of alternates for a TI adjustable.

will do a write up when it gets here.

For a long time, the taiga will be the only adjustable machine made of titanium. Murat does not promise this year-next year he may do it, but the cost of rocnel will be closer to $ 1000. So in my understanding, the cost of titanium taiga is quite democratic. I already have one. I did not like steel v1-I will try titanium-I will write.

$250 for a Russian razor now with no OC included is a NO NO in my book. Can get immediate satisfaction buying a Rex; support local people, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom