What's new

First 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts Today, March 14, 2022

Decent afternoon at the range today. I played with my grip a bit and found I was hitting a bit higher than normal. I'll use this grip a few more times to see if it drops down on its own or stays as shown below.
  • Slow 81 - the sixer was my first round, poor timing on my part
  • Timed 86/0X
  • Rapid 83/0X
  • 250/0X

My slow targets are improving.
20220426_151320.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I often throw the first shot out. I was wondering if it was because I was using a suppressor, "first round pop" possibly throwing the shot off? I shot several slow fire targets yesterday but couldn't get out of the 70's. I didn't bother shooting timed or rapid-fire targets. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot for score this weekend.

Perhaps I could load 11 rounds, fire the first round purposely off target, followed by 10 on paper. See if that eliminates any "first round" suppressor effects. I hate to waste the ammo though.

I often throw the first shot out. I was wondering if it was because I was using a suppressor, "first round pop" possibly throwing the shot off? I shot several slow fire targets yesterday but couldn't get out of the 70's. I didn't bother shooting timed or rapid-fire targets. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot for score this weekend.

Perhaps I could load 11 rounds, fire the first round purposely off target, followed by 10 on paper. See if that eliminates any "first round" suppressor effects. I hate to waste the ammo though.
Here's the "engineering" take on this... (reduce causative factors)
1) Shoot the slow target, 10 rounds, without the suppressor. - Was the first shot a flyer? It you had a flyer... Why?
2) If the barrel was clean in step #1... Clean the barrel exactly the same way and wait until the pistol is at room temperature again.
3) If the barrel was not clean in step #1... Let the pistol rest until it reaches room temperature again.
4) Attach the suppressor and shoot 10 rounds at a new slow target. - Was the first shot a flyer? If you had a flyer in Step #1 and Step #4, was the offset similar?

If you had first round flyers in Steps #1 and #4...
  • Pillow rest the pistol and do steps 1 through 4 again.
  • If you always bring a clean firearm to the range... Put 10 rounds through it to "season" the bore and warm things up. Repeat Step #1 and record the results. Then move on to the other three steps.
  • Look at the four targets and compare results.
    • Were the flyers moving in the same or different directions?
    • Were the flyers similar in distance from bull's center?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Boy did I open a can of worms! Since I do most of my shooting (of this bullseye match) at home, shooting without a suppressor is not an option until I go to the range.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Slow Fire=68
1 hand=63
Rapid=55 2 rounds off target.

After I shot for score I took that heavy red dot off. I actually shot better.

I looked at a couple of nicer red dots at my LGS. I really liked the Vortex Venom and the Holosun 507C. It will be a tough choice.

Good evening all,

Sorry for posting late, was running my dog in a couple HRC retriever tests this weekend and forgot to post (and gunner shooting 12ga blanks but the ducks still dropped 😉).

50-feet, one-hand, B2 & B3 targets, S&W41 w/dot

Slow - 88
Timed - 96 2x
Rapid - 80 2x

Total - 264 4x

Tom

Last edited:
Slow Fire=68
1 hand=63
Rapid=55 2 rounds off target.

After I shot for score I took that heavy red dot off. I actually shot better.

I looked at a couple of nicer red dots at my LGS. I really liked the Vortex Venom and the Holosun 507C. It will be a tough choice.
I'm very happy with my Venom red dot. I'd buy it again.

Good evening all,

Sorry for posting late, was running my dog in a couple HRC retriever tests this weekend and forgot to post (and gunner shooting 12ga blanks but the ducks still dropped 😉).

50-feet, one-hand, B2 & B3 targets, S&W41 w/dot

Slow - 88
Timed - 96 2x
Rapid - 80 2x

Total - 264 4x

Tom
I haven't seen dogs doing the HRC tests in over 35 years. Hope you and the dog had a great day.

A friend of mine is taking delivery of a brand new, just manufactured High Standard 22 from www.highstandardfirearmsusa.com. The guy that owns the company bought the plans and full specs to CNC the frames and all the parts. Check out the M1911. When delivered, all pistols are ready for serious competition.

I haven't seen dogs doing the HRC tests in over 35 years. Hope you and the dog had a great day.

A friend of mine is taking delivery of a brand new, just manufactured High Standard 22 from www.highstandardfirearmsusa.com. The guy that owns the company bought the plans and full specs to CNC the frames and all the parts. Check out the M1911. When delivered, all pistols are ready for serious competition.
Always appreciated the vintage High Standards. Exciting temptation!

9E7790E7-F2D3-4F71-8D5E-FC875014EF6D.jpeg

Got away from it for the past year or so. Reminded me how much fun working dogs is and that I need to prioritize making more time for it. Ace and I did good today for another nice Started pass and motivation towards Seasoned.

Tom

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I wasn't able to shoot for score this past week, life got in the way, LOL! I'll post two scores this week.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Always appreciated the vintage High Standards. Exciting temptation!

View attachment 1448897

Got away from it for the past year or so. Reminded me how much fun working dogs is and that I need to prioritize making more time for it. Ace and I did good today for another nice Started pass and motivation towards Seasoned.

Tom

That’s a good lookin’ dog! The beard and Stache’ is on pointe also! :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
An interesting observation while shooting some practice targets this morning. I'm confident that my gun and ammo can put all the shots in the 10 ring if I do my part because I shot a cluster of 7 shots on one target and a cluster of 6 shots on another, each would have fit in the 10 ring, but they weren't centered on the 10 ring. But it's not an issue of sight adjustment, since my larger groups are usually for the most part equally dispersed around the center, with the exception of obvious fliers.

An interesting observation while shooting some practice targets this morning. I'm confident that my gun and ammo can put all the shots in the 10 ring if I do my part because I shot a cluster of 7 shots on one target and a cluster of 6 shots on another, each would have fit in the 10 ring, but they weren't centered on the 10 ring. But it's not an issue of sight adjustment, since my larger groups are usually for the most part equally dispersed around the center, with the exception of obvious fliers.
Google Image Result for https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Screen-Shot-2017-02-22-at-5.33.30-PM.png - https://images.app.goo.gl/SxZtVYiuPrTZYmR78 This might help.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks, familiar with those charts. They're great for diagnosing individual fliers, but I'm not sure how to explain a tight group that's off center. Odd to be making the same mistake consistently. One of the groups was at about 11 O'clock just outside the 10 ring, another was at 0130 just out side the 9 ring. I should have saved the targets to post an image of, but already trashed them.

I find the same. When I sight I sight in resting on the bench my point of impact grouping is usually different than my off offhand. I start with my bench rest sighting and work. My practice goal is to be comfortable calling the shot, knowing where my point of impact is as I take the shot. When my calls are where the shots are hitting and I get groups there, I adjust my sights to bring the group to X. If I bench the gun after that adjustment the shots will be off but that is the difference with my bullseye aiming/hold. Funny thing for me off hand with pistols. Revolvers are usually the same off hand and bench.

I’m thinking you could adjust your sights to bring that cluster to the x-ring. It could be that you had a run of 6 equally made ammo but I’m thinking that is where your point of impact is when your grip and trigger are naturally correct. Your larger groups are when you are less than perfect. I would play with that and see how it goes.

I find these are on target. Funny, I took a class with Brian Zins told me to throw the chart out as it was distracting and was to much to think about. (Actually he was a bit more blunt 😆) He said to just focus on consistent firm grip and consistent, uninterrupted trigger pull and your shots will land where you aim. Consistency was/is the main focus. He sets his grip before the string and did not let his grip pressure or position change until the firing ended. He pointed out that, during slow fire, lots of folks raise the gun, take a shot, loosen their grip, open their hands, check their scope to see where the shot hit, regrouped, adjusted their stance, regrouped again, took the next shot, etc and had consistently random groups. I still have trouble not letting my grip relax a bit on slow fire and I see the result. I also try (try) not to check my scope after each shot on slow or after my timed or rapid string. If I don’t check my shots my groups are tighter.

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom