What's new

First 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts Today, March 14, 2022

It's been a busy week. The old composter died and I put a new one together. Finished cleaning out the big fern bed underneath the oak trees and took the leaves up the hill. Got my far better half new deck chairs and took down half of her bird feeders. It's about bear time up here in NH. The birds are now doing without their suet. My identity was stolen when our data was lost by our medical insurance company. That came back to bite us this week when someone in Texas decided to take out a Covid Injury Disaster loan from the Feds. Still working on this one. Also cleaned up some Medicare billing issues for my doctor's office and my glucose monitoring equipment company. That one took 26 hours of phone time. Most of it on hold. It's lucky I'm retired and have the time...

Oh yeah, I did a rifle range qualification yesterday. The plate and dueling tree range was empty so I mowed down some plates and did the dueling tree. First time on these with a reflex sight. It does make a difference.

Shot two sets of bullseye targets this week. The better score was 244 - 2X.
  • Slow - 72
  • Timed - 86 - 2X
  • Rapid - 86
I did shoot a personal best slow target of 88 this week.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I hit a personal best as well.
Slow fire 85
1hand 70
Rapid fire 80 1x

85529B3C-8E65-4398-B375-AD9FC0BEA961.jpeg
0318FEBB-33BE-444C-B458-5088E78D9081.jpeg
1DEB278F-AB50-4EF8-BC7E-5B88CE502473.jpeg

I hit a personal best as well.
Slow fire 85
1hand 70
Rapid fire 80 1x

View attachment 1445001View attachment 1445002View attachment 1445004
Big improvements!

Do you have slow targets? They score differently than timed and rapid targets. There's no X ring and the outer rings are different too. If you don't have them/can't get them just print them using the targets I attached to the beginning of the thread. Whoops... Do you have a working printer? I seem to remember someone saying their printer was broken.

It seems you are shooting one of the targets one-handed and the other two are shot two-handed. This is an informal league. Doing this is fine if you want to practice one-handed for score. I'm shooting all three targets two-handed because I've developed a tremor in my right hand. It's no big deal, I'm just getting older. In my formal league we ask new shooters to shoot two-handed until all shots are routinely in the black. They are then told they are ready for one-handed. That said, we don't make them go one-handed.

Hits touching a line are counted with the higher score. You don't have to cut the line. Just touch the line for the extra point.

Nice shooting!

Congratulations for all the personal bests!

Sorry to hear about your week Bob. Good luck with everything, in particular your ID theft. From personal experience I know what a frustrating challenge fixing that stuff is.

I was lucky to get to my range twice this week! Got out Thursday with my two 16 year old boys focusing on their rimfire rifle and pistol. Really nice day. Today did a couple of 50-yard bullseye matches, .45 and .22. My brain was not focused today. I could not get my act together with the .45 and had a couple of *** twitches with my .22. Trying not to make a connection with a whole day of yard work and power washing yesterday 😉

This week: one-hand, 50-yards slow @ B6 and 25-yards T&R @ B8, S&W 41 w/dot

Slow - 91 2x
Timed - 89 4x
Rapid - 83 0x

Total - 263 6x

Tom

Congratulations for all the personal bests!

Sorry to hear about your week Bob. Good luck with everything, in particular your ID theft. From personal experience I know what a frustrating challenge fixing that stuff is.

I was lucky to get to my range twice this week! Got out Thursday with my two 16 year old boys focusing on their rimfire rifle and pistol. Really nice day. Today did a couple of 50-yard bullseye matches, .45 and .22. My brain was not focused today. I could not get my act together with the .45 and had a couple of *** twitches with my .22. Trying not to make a connection with a whole day of yard work and power washing yesterday 😉

This week: one-hand, 50-yards slow @ B6 and 25-yards T&R @ B8, S&W 41 w/dot

Slow - 91 2x
Timed - 89 4x
Rapid - 83 0x

Total - 263 6x

Tom
You took the glycogen out of your arms with all that yard work. Gotta love those twitches...

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Big improvements!

Do you have slow targets? They score differently than timed and rapid targets. There's no X ring and the outer rings are different too. If you don't have them/can't get them just print them using the targets I attached to the beginning of the thread. Whoops... Do you have a working printer? I seem to remember someone saying their printer was broken.

It seems you are shooting one of the targets one-handed and the other two are shot two-handed. This is an informal league. Doing this is fine if you want to practice one-handed for score. I'm shooting all three targets two-handed because I've developed a tremor in my right hand. It's no big deal, I'm just getting older. In my formal league we ask new shooters to shoot two-handed until all shots are routinely in the black. They are then told they are ready for one-handed. That said, we don't make them go one-handed.

Hits touching a line are counted with the higher score. You don't have to cut the line. Just touch the line for the extra point.

Nice shooting!
I enjoy the one hand. It is improving so I want to keep it up. I can’t find the slow fire targets. If I print yours they will be 8.5 x 11 which I think is to small.

I enjoy the one hand. It is improving so I want to keep it up. I can’t find the slow fire targets. If I print yours they will be 8.5 x 11 which I think is to small.
Those targets are the right size when shooting at 50 feet. Well, they are within .5 of a millimeter of the printed NRA targets.

If your laser/inkjet printed targets look smaller check your print page percentage. It needs to be at 100%. Compare the 50ft timed and rapid fire target I supplied with your purchased targets. When you print the slow target just increase or decrease the print size a bit.

Glad to hear your one-hand is improving. Mine isn't. I'm working on some isometric exercises but am not too hopeful. I don't have a strength issue. It's genetics.

Here's this week's score roll up and a statistics lesson!

I've added a line to the spreadsheet. This line shows the standard deviation associated with our individual handicaps. A lower number shows greater consistency in that individual's top four raw scores. Higher numbers show a wider gap between your top four scores.

4 scores represent a month of shooting. As we get better our scores should start evening out and the gap between one's four top scores will narrow.

BigFoot is rapidly improving. That's why his standard deviation is high. Mine is low because I'm stuck in a plateau. I'm trying different shooting strategies to deal with my shaky right hand but the one's I've tried so far have neither helped nor hurt my scores. Nortac is at 11 because he is steadily improving at around 8 points per match. EightysixCJ has the best average by far but his top scores are jumping around a bit more than mine but less than nortac's.

Remember... Numbers are our friends!

Score Roll Up for 4-24-2022.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I don't know if this will help, Bob but one of the RO's had me change my grip slightly. Instead of stacking my thumbs I put my left thumb on top of my right and kind of hook it. It has made a huge difference with my limp wresting. I know your issue is totally different but who knows.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Amazon has the correct targets now. I ordered a pack of them and will be able to shoot this week on a regulation target.

I don't know if this will help, Bob but one of the RO's had me change my grip slightly. Instead of stacking my thumbs I put my left thumb on top of my right and kind of hook it. It has made a huge difference with my limp wresting. I know your issue is totally different but who knows.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. My bullseye league range officer and the other older shooters have been helping me deal with this too. The grip that seems to work the best has my left hand little finger resting/laid against the base of my right hand little finger. The rest of the fingers on the left hand are cradled between the rest of the fingers. My right thumb's fingernail is on top of my left hand thumb's fingernail. I am not using the Weaver push/pull technique. The left hand is applying relatively gentle support to the right hand. My grip is good. My wrists are fine too.

This is more of a big muscle/shoulder muscle issue. I've done a lot of damage to my rotator cuffs and shoulder muscles over the years. It has caught up with me.

This week I am going to try to pace my shots differently. Instead of putting an equal amount of time between the rapid and timed fire shots I am going to group them in a two-two-one, two-three, or three-two combinations. This will give me time to relax my shoulder and upper arm muscles for several seconds on the timed and a few seconds on the rapid targets. It's going to be an interesting experiment.

Amazon has the correct targets now. I ordered a pack of them and will be able to shoot this week on a regulation target.
The slow target is a bit wider and there's no X ring. Points in each ring are a bit different too. Have a great week!

Top Bottom