What's new

Arko August 2020

Day 6:

1961 G3 Slim Aristocrat
Astra SP
Omega 10048
ARKO
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Pinaud VIBR decanted into a vintage Avon Bay Rum jug.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arko Shave #6- 9.8/10-one or two small bits under the chin line short of BBS.

I've gone to SEs for the about a month, since having some skin cancer prevention treatments. I'm just fine, it's an age thing from too many decades of UV exposure, i.e. me golfing badly! But, using a straight right now is more than I'd really like.

Razor: Gem MMFW
Blade Gem PTFE (2)
Soap: Arko- oodles of lather today
Brush: Simpsons Eagle 3 in Best
AS: Walgreens Original
; doesn't seem to available now; I found it in the guest bath from I'm not sure who or when and was curious. Turns out it was Walgreens take on Skin Bracer; it seems a lot like Barbasol Brisk, too. Not great scent going on, some nice menthol, a strong alcohol feel, but surprisingly a decent powdery dry down.

Manana amigos!

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
RumpleBearskin
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
sdimartino
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

Arko August shave #2

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Tatra Platinum
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm
Lather: Arko Stick
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns

The Futur felt extremely aggressive, even on 1, so had to go super slow. This razor and blade combo is kinda scary. In fact, I think if I'd been using anything other than super-slick Arko it probably would have been a bloodbath. I decided to take the Futur out of the rotation for a while as it seems really temperamental about blade choice.

On the plus side, still got a BBS shave out of it, it just took way longer than usual.

221BFDDB-A0DC-44CD-BF2D-F5FDE13ED4BD.jpeg

It looks like there's interest in another Arko August (mostly from the Arkolytes, but it is what it is ;)), so I'm hosting the thread again. I learned a ton about how to get the best shaves I can from Arko and really enjoyed those shaves. Arko may be cheap, but it's a top performer, so it's definitely a "high-value" soap!

I don't have the discipline to 3017 a soap, but I can use one for a month. In my quest to actually use up the soaps I have, that's my M.O. - one month, one soap - and August is for Arko.

If you want to join me, just post here (or don't). Even if you just want to use Arko in August rather than for August, feel free to add a SOTD post.

I'm posting this now so that you'll have time to order some Arko and receive it in time, or let your Arko "air out" before use, or grate it and soak it in some aftershave in preparation for the month. Heck, you might do all three. Whatever the case, I'll see you in August!

As I did last year, I'm organizing participants based on how much they plan to use Arko during the month. The categories and participants were:

@FoolishMortal
@FarmerTan
@mawashi
@Cphobes
@SpudWrench
@James Darmody
@bluesman 7
@bjm
@jj_sharp
@Gaznix
@fast shaver
@meanpr
@Brian C.
@Billy T.
@ajkel64
@PeteVK
@Squirrel
@RumpleBearskin
@MrMoJoe
@ksblazer
@helistone
@Sideways Tremolo

@Wtd1911
@ftrez
@Rosseforp
@Whilliam
@shave/brush
@Ted A
@Namkcakram
@EB Newfarm
@cyclingsteveb
@psfred
@ftrez
@Haggises
@BudgetShaverGuy
@JayFromBrooklyn
@Kealon7
@Legacoid
@Rustynail
@Deacon Frank
@Beakerz
@OhioBob
@rreynoso
@NeroAquil (inactive/deleted?)
@naughtilu (inactive/deleted?)
@Badkarma
@MrBeez
@Sotiris_A
@Basil
@texas_gaming

HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
@Goatlips

I'll start the list in the next post. Feel free to self-select, or just post your intended usage level and I can maintain the list.

Let's Arko!
All I use is Arko so it’s Arko 365 for me 😆

FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
RumpleBearskin
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
sdimartino
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej
ponykilr

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg

RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

I pressed my Arko puck into a mug today. That little bowl just doesn’t work well for loading.

I’m still figuring out the bowl. I received the captains choice copper bowl today and used it for my shave today. I do like it better than the pottery bowl but I can’t wait for my G12 scuttle to arrive. My skin just doesn’t seem to like cool water shaves.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

Had my 2nd Arko shave in a row this morning (first times trying it). 2nd one was as good as the first. When I got home from work I hopped in the shower only to find my wife had taken my soap upstairs. So I had choices to make, going upstairs wasn’t one of them since I was already in the shower. I could wash with conditioner, shampoo, a medium priced soap or the Arko I opened yesterday.... so there we are gents. I used Arko to shave and as a body soap in the same day. I’m still on the downlow because come weekends I like using my Fendrihan Bergamot shave cream or coconut vanilla soap

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Had my 2nd Arko shave in a row this morning (first times trying it). 2nd one was as good as the first. When I got home from work I hopped in the shower only to find my wife had taken my soap upstairs. So I had choices to make, going upstairs wasn’t one of them since I was already in the shower. I could wash with conditioner, shampoo, a medium priced soap or the Arko I opened yesterday.... so there we are gents. I used Arko to shave and as a body soap in the same day. I’m still on the downlow because come weekends I like using my Fendrihan Bergamot shave cream or coconut vanilla soap
As good as you must smell I can't believe she didn't attack you my friend!

Wait, maybe she did?

Fifth use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, H&B Vitamin E Oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Boots boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R5
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Boots Freshwood AS.

DFS without drama. Got an optimal Arko lather again, so I've cracked that, for the current brush and bowl.

The bowl is an Aldi/Lidl plastic 500ml food container, so it is unhelpfully smooth inside. I should get something better, or glue something like coins inside it to make a knobbly surface.

The mail tracker says my Game Changer .68 SB should arrive on 7th Aug. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom