What's new

Speakeasy RIP

Does it have any coffee taste to it?
No, apparently the still was called a coffee still. Or something like that? Imported to Japan from Scotland back in the day? No coffee flavor at all. Whatever, its not scotch, it’s not bourbon . It’s just a delicious whisky And is highly recommend. $65 California price.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
No, apparently the still was called a coffee still. Or something like that? Imported to Japan from Scotland back in the day? No coffee flavor at all. Whatever, its not scotch, it’s not bourbon . It’s just a delicious whisky And is highly recommend. $65 California price.
That means it's probably a lot cheaper in Michigan...

1649332800721.png

I came home with this bottle today!!! How'd you like it?
I've really enjoyed it. There's some debate, as the label changed slightly recently. Some believe the liquid has changed as well, others swear it's the same. I've had one bottle of each, and pretty sure my palette is not sophisticated enough to tell any difference. If you aren't used to barrel proof whiskies, it'll be a bit hot. Let us know how you enjoy it!

to get the very last drop out of your bottle run hot water over the outside of said bottle for a minute and see what forms on the inside. I have found that it's just enough to coat your tongue for the last taste of a great bottle.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Woodford Double Oaked, a nice one!
I'll try to get some other expressions from them as well. Besides the DO which one would be a good next step?

View attachment 1443824
Double oaked is really the only one that does it for me. I’ve also had one of the Distillery series, the Rye, and the “regular” Woodford Reserve and none of them was better than the double oaked. Having said that there are quite a few others that Woodford produces that I’ve never seen much less been able to try. I’d like to try the Baccarat but at $2-3k per bottle that’ll probably never happen.

Last edited:
Double oaked is really the only one that does it for me. I’ve had one of the Ditillery series and the Rye as well and neither was better that the double oaked. Having said that there are quite a few others that Woodford produces that I’ve never seen much less been able to try. I’d like to try the Baccarat but at $2-3k per bottle that’ll probably never happen.
Thank you Adam, one of my regular online stores has a 10% discount on their whole Whisky stock. So far I found some Ardbeg Uigeadil for 65.00 and Makers Mark 101 for 45.00.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thank you Adam, one of my regular online stores has a 10% discount on their whole Whisky stock. So far I found some Ardbeg Uigeadil for 65.00 and Makers Mark 101 for 45.00.
That’s an excellent price for the Ardbeg, when you can find it here it’s closer to $80-90. I like Ardbeg but have never tried the Uigeadil, I’ll have to remedy that soon. The MM 101 can be found for close to $40 and in my opinion is ok but not great.

Had to supplement the second drink with CR. Horse Soldier is only 87 proof and sourced. It is somewhat satisfying and really has no bad notes, but for the price? Nah. It was a gift and I enjoyed it, but I’m not running out for another bottle. When we flew to Louisville in November and saw all the advertising in the airport, I got an idea of what was up with this bottle.

Sourced and aged in OH for a Tampa based company???

Attachments

• B1E6C07B-8BBE-4E20-AA38-87C840A23CEE.jpeg
    B1E6C07B-8BBE-4E20-AA38-87C840A23CEE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 4D2E37D6-EAC4-476E-A708-157ED5CE1550.jpeg
    4D2E37D6-EAC4-476E-A708-157ED5CE1550.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Had to supplement the second drink with CR. Horse Soldier is only 87 proof and sourced. It is somewhat satisfying and really has no bad notes, but for the price? Nah. It was a gift and I enjoyed it, but I’m not running out for another bottle. When we flew to Louisville in November and saw all the advertising in the airport, I got an idea of what was up with this bottle.

Sourced and aged in OH for a Tampa based company???
I'll have to check again which Horse Soldier I have. I thought mine was slightly higher in proof, but perhaps not. Similar situation though - received it as a gift. I find it ok, but certainly overly priced. Really nice story regarding the bottle and the company, however. Mine had a finish initially I wasn't very fond of, but that has smoothed out a bit after a few pours. I've mostly been enjoying it on patriotic holidays.

Top Bottom