What's new

Tatara Masamune vs Feather AS-D2

I’m actually going pleased to hear that I own one of the best razors (AS-D2), so I don’t feel the pull to own the Tatara. Looks are subjective but when it comes to razors I think I gravitate towards a more traditional look. I remember when I was shopping for the AS-D2, my top choice was actually the Tradere, but it had gone out of production. I basically went back and forth between AS-D2 and ATT M1 and settled on the AS-D2 in part because it offered no options so I didn’t have to worry about picking a handle or plate and worrying that I may have been happier with a different one.

If EJ back then offered a stainless option, I probably would have just gone with that because I was using a DE89 which I liked and I tend to stick with the familiar.

The packaging of the Feather is better. The original box already had the cut out ready to push out for my stand I got separate.
After 6 months of tie in shave quality.
Feather wins for. Gripper handle, guest comments and better box and better stand.

Attachments

• feather.jpg
    feather.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
can someone comment on the weight differences of these two razors?
I’m considering the Tatara and the AS-D2. I currently have a AS-D1 and feel it’s a big heavy to maneuver.
I have used a oneblade genesis exclusively, and feel it has the right weight for me, but I would like to add a DE into the mix

can someone comment on the weight differences of these two razors?
I’m considering the Tatara and the AS-D2. I currently have a AS-D1 and feel it’s a big heavy to maneuver.
I have used a oneblade genesis exclusively, and feel it has the right weight for me, but I would like to add a DE into the mix
The ASD2 is bulkier and heavier. I think the ASD1 and D2 are identical in size and wight

I liked them both, but the AS-D2 has a much narrower effective angle.

No they are not. The Masume has more blade feel and need a bit more respect. I found the Masmune to be the equal of my Blackbird in efficiency, with a milder feel.
Wow….that is not what I experience. Takes the Nodachi plates to even come close to the efficiency of the Blackbird for my face anyway.

Never heard anyone put the Masamune on the same efficiency level as the Bird. Glad it’s performing so well for you.

The SB plate is a little less efficient, but smoother. It is still a good step in the right direction compared to the Feater. They are quite similar.
The Muramasa is even better:)
How would you compare the muramasa to the Rex ambassador and the Rockwell T2SS?

How would you compare the muramasa to the Rex ambassador and the Rockwell T2SS?
The Muramasa is quite different to the Rex. The Muramasa is much more refined and smoother. Most of the time I prefer the Masamune over the Muramasa.
I have not tried the Rockwell T2SS?.

It's about a year directly comparing these two razors. My ultimate opinion is ASD2 is the perfect razor. Yes the Feather blade makes it the perfect razor but tbh yay personna I can't tell much difference. I can tell though.
So the sharpest blade is certainly feather.
Feather made the ASD2 to match..
It was way over engineered to.last forever and has.a.comfort yet grippy hamdle.thst is mostly just points of steel. Ok.umm. its so comfy and amazing though.

The Tatara though. I love the adjustment. I like the OC.
I like the cork stand and most of all the.accessories. the shaving bowel amd i.assume.brush. I am waiting on synthetic.

Tbh the tatara is a great system that utilizes the best blade

It just isn't in the same league as ASD2. The razor made.to utilize the sharpest blade and perform perfectly while being easy.to use and essentially indescribable. I have had asd2. Two years and it looks the same as I got it.
It's coating is impervious.

Tatara well... that cheap.rusty casting on the non visible.parts. points off. Also, the handle is slippery. Particularly if compared.to ASD2.
ASD2 base is better,.

Both are better than everything else probably but I haven't tried Henson.

It's about a year directly comparing these two razors. My ultimate opinion is ASD2 is the perfect razor. Yes the Feather blade makes it the perfect razor but tbh yay personna I can't tell much difference. I can tell though.
So the sharpest blade is certainly feather.
Feather made the ASD2 to match..
It was way over engineered to.last forever and has.a.comfort yet grippy hamdle.thst is mostly just points of steel. Ok.umm. its so comfy and amazing though.

The Tatara though. I love the adjustment. I like the OC.
I like the cork stand and most of all the.accessories. the shaving bowel amd i.assume.brush. I am waiting on synthetic.

Tbh the tatara is a great system that utilizes the best blade

It just isn't in the same league as ASD2. The razor made.to utilize the sharpest blade and perform perfectly while being easy.to use and essentially indescribable. I have had asd2. Two years and it looks the same as I got it.
It's coating is impervious.

Tatara well... that cheap.rusty casting on the non visible.parts. points off. Also, the handle is slippery. Particularly if compared.to ASD2.
ASD2 base is better,.

Both are better than everything else probably but I haven't tried Henson.
You got a rusty Tatara?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Since Feather is a medical device manufacturer themselves, they have carried over the quality of the medical device - adding an extra matte chrome finish to the AS-D2. Although a bit overkill, this makes the AS-D2 more resistant to further corrosion than other 316 stainless steel shavers.

Even though it has been out for more than ten years and is no longer the "most advanced technology" in many people's minds, AS-D2 is still a unique Japanese precision product, and I also agree that the AS-D2 has a more elegant look.

I also have TATARA (mine is Muramasa), they are avant-garde, bold, innovative, and have excellent design and processing capabilities.
But in terms of industrial mass production strength and design, Feather will still not be replaced, after all, there is a huge gap in their capital. It's one thing to make a delicate finished product in small quantities, but it's an industrial miracle to maintain it in large quantities.

Last edited:
Since Feather is a medical device manufacturer themselves, they have carried over the quality of the medical device - adding an extra matte chrome finish to the AS-D2. Although a bit overkill, this makes the AS-D2 more resistant to further corrosion than other 316 stainless steel shavers.

Even though it has been out for more than ten years and is no longer the "most advanced technology" in many people's minds, AS-D2 is still a unique Japanese precision product, and I also agree that the AS-D2 has a more elegant look.

I also have TATARA (mine is Muramasa), they are avant-garde, bold, innovative, and have excellent design and processing capabilities.
But in terms of industrial mass production strength and design, Feather will still not be replaced, after all, there is a huge gap in their capital. It's one thing to make a delicate finished product in small quantities, but it's an industrial miracle to maintain it in large quantities.
I do like the Tatara a lot. Particularly the OC. For less frequently shaved areas is just the best.
I also like the amazing accessories they make.
Also, the corrosion is that one piece only out of multiple parts.
The ASD2 does seem like overkill in several areas and I didn't anticipate I would love that so much.
Like the overkill grip handle or overkill bulky stand.

The maneuverability ansamble of products is superior for tatara.

Idk if it's rust or not but it's discolored compared even to the other part and the coating in general just isn't comparable to the Feather coating.

Looks like an uneven PVD coat. I’ve had things (not razors) with PVD coatings that were uneven. In one case, it was sort of nifty, because the item would change color slightly depending on angle… which was fine for me. Maybe not fine if someone wanted to buy it.

Underside of the cap I’d probably not care.

Tatara also has mixed quality on the engraving on the bottom of the base plates… I’ve seen (and owned) some that were nice, crisp, deep but not too deep… my only remaining Masamune base is pretty lightly etched. It’s stainless finish. I got it directly from them.

I still want to get a feather - I probably will at some point.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Idk if it's rust or not but it's discolored compared even to the other part and the coating in general just isn't comparable to the Feather coating.
From your pictures I also think it's PVD that changes color. Maybe it's not rust.
Although my TATARA Muramasa is silver, because the TATARA agents in my country of residence (Taiwan) once lent me a full set of TATARA Masamune + Nodachi, and hoped that I would write articles for him and make a video to introduce TATARA, so I tried it for a while .

During using his black Nodachi, I found that the black surface is easy to change color due to the residue of body oil, soap, water... and it is not easy to remove with normal washing.
In the end, I used the kitchen cleaning recipe soap made by my wife to remove it. It is less prone to residue than ordinary soap and has better stain removal ability.

If buying a plated or coated item, I usually like to choose a finish that is a similar color to the metal inside so that even if the finish wears off with use it will be less noticeable.

Last edited:
Ì use the feather every day,. Its a mild razor but very efficient used correctly, proper angle etc. Two passes and shave as good as it gets. So comfortable. Handle has superb grip,evenwet and blade fits exactly ,no overhang. I use GSB blades.

In the end, I used the kitchen cleaning recipe soap made by my wife to remove it. It is less prone to residue than ordinary soap and has better stain removal ability.

Can you share the recipe? It could be useful to us. BTW, though, I've been using a dark Masamune in rotation for years now, and there's no discoloration anywhere on it.

Top Bottom