What's new

Tatara Masamune vs Feather AS-D2

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Can you share the recipe? It could be useful to us. BTW, though, I've been using a dark Masamune in rotation for years now, and there's no discoloration anywhere on it.
Only my wife knows the soap recipe, and I am only responsible for using it, and occasionally listen to her introduction.

If your PVD finish is not discolored, it is likely that you have not encountered problems such as water quality/oil stains/soap deposits, and there is no need to use additional hand made soap to clean it, and the original cleaning method is perfect.

It's about a year directly comparing these two razors. My ultimate opinion is ASD2 is the perfect razor. Yes the Feather blade makes it the perfect razor but tbh yay personna I can't tell much difference. I can tell though.
So the sharpest blade is certainly feather.
Feather made the ASD2 to match..
It was way over engineered to.last forever and has.a.comfort yet grippy hamdle.thst is mostly just points of steel. Ok.umm. its so comfy and amazing though.

The Tatara though. I love the adjustment. I like the OC.
I like the cork stand and most of all the.accessories. the shaving bowel amd i.assume.brush. I am waiting on synthetic.

Tbh the tatara is a great system that utilizes the best blade

It just isn't in the same league as ASD2. The razor made.to utilize the sharpest blade and perform perfectly while being easy.to use and essentially indescribable. I have had asd2. Two years and it looks the same as I got it.
It's coating is impervious.

Tatara well... that cheap.rusty casting on the non visible.parts. points off. Also, the handle is slippery. Particularly if compared.to ASD2.
ASD2 base is better,.

Both are better than everything else probably but I haven't tried Henson.
316 Stainless is expensive and harder to machine than 303. It's not cast and is by no means cheap.

I saw your follow-up photo (and posts) - that it's the dark version. I'm not sure of the deposition process to add the color, but still, I'd contact Tatara - whether it's a problem with the finish, or alternatively to get advice on how best to clean the schmutz off.

... Thom

Last edited:
316 Stainless is expensive and harder to machine than 303. It's not cast and is by no means cheap.

I saw your follow-up photo (and posts) - that it's the dark version. I'm not sure of the deposition process to add the color, but still, I'd contact Tatara - whether it's a problem with the finish, or alternatively to get advice on how best to clean the schmutz off.

... Thom
Yeah. Only that one piece discolored. Both razors are perfect and I go back and forth. I made the review after just noticing the discoloration. So I reviewed it harshly.
They are both the perfect razor

Yeah. Only that one piece discolored. Both razors are perfect and I go back and forth. I made the review after just noticing the discoloration. So I reviewed it harshly.
They are both the perfect razor
This crowd has definitely created a "need" for some variant of a Masamune ;-)

In due time (he said ... like a kid waiting for Christmas).

... Thom

Last edited:
I know this is an old discussion, but new to me as a recent member of B&B.

I wish to thank everyone for sharing their personal experiences with these razors. I have been using the ASD2 for many years feeling all the time that there is no better. Obviously, being so satisfied, I knew nothing of the emergent artisan razors (and many excellent older/vintage razors), nor felt a need to reach for better. This changed when I lost by ASD2 and found this forum and other sources of information. It is easy (could say fun or expensive as well) to chase others notion of "best or better". I started too stray in such a search rather than replace my Feather.

As someone stated during this discussion, and I paraphrase, why chase acquisitions if you are 100% satisfied with performance... to get 101%?. This hit home for me. I was starting to believe the grass is greener on the other side in spite of personal experience achieving wonderful shaves. Well, no longer. This discussion was an awakening. As a hobby or to add variety, I get it. But care should be taken to say X is better than Y. Preference is fine, but to each their own.

I am (again) the happy owner of an ASD2- RAD level way down.

So thanks again to all. I enjoyed this thread and benefited from what was shared.

So @BrandX …how did you lose the first AS-D2?
First trip with it, first day. It made it to Pecos, TX. where I had my last shave with it. Actually only the top cap was lost; I assume I was careless carrying my toiletry bag back to my suitcase and it fell out. I normally cary a disposable on trips, but felt like bringing it along this time.

I never looked into travel accessories for three piece razors, but there are interesting options out there. I see 3D printed inserts within Altoid-type cans. I will get something like this or leather case for my next adventure.

Lessons learned: (1) better prepare for trips, and (2) trust what feels good while shaving and what your face and hands tell you afterwards no matter what you read.

I never looked into travel accessories for three piece razors, but there are interesting options out there. I see 3D printed inserts within Altoid-type cans. I will get something like this or leather case for my next adventure.

Fine do a nice folding travel case ideal for 3 piece razors... durable & i/m happy with it. Also available at shavenation.com

Holds the 3 pieces plus a tuck of blades in as low a profile case as is posssible

IMG_4266.JPG

Fine do a nice folding travel case ideal for 3 piece razors... durable & i/m happy with it. Also available at shavenation.com

Holds the 3 pieces plus a tuck of blades in as low a profile case as is posssible

View attachment 1722932
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen other, similar mil-spec style cases and they seem very practical and compact.

I ended up getting a Parker case from Maggard's. I don't travel as much these days, but when I do, having the razor fully assembled and stowed away should error proof the process. Well, I may lose the entire razor, but not the cap.

The packaging of the Feather is better. The original box already had the cut out ready to push out for my stand I got separate.
After 6 months of tie in shave quality.
Feather wins for. Gripper handle, guest comments and better box and better stand.

Would you mind sharing how much the feather stand costs separately? I have a Feather AS D2 (no stand) and am contemplating purchasing the stand.

Top Bottom