What's new

I just made my own backpacker's stove (penny can stove)

The simmer ring helps direct heat for a faster boil. It’s a soda can as the size fit best.
8AFFCC31-E268-4C69-90D7-1846D5BF350A.jpeg

Snuffer

0954C2BF-D117-4D46-85A6-DF0288626378.jpeg

FYI:

If you make a priming pan using the lid of a No. 2 can (28 oz.) it should handily fit into the bottom of a TOAKS 550 or 750ml pot. Both pots have the same diameter of 3.75". The diameter of the can lid is 3-7/16 (3.44) inches.

CORRECTION: A No. 2 can lid will not fit as the diameter (I just measured it) is 4".

However, the lid from a TALL 28 oz. can (think Bush's Baked Beans) will fit as it's 3.5" in diameter. This is also the same diameter as that of a tuna fish can.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I recently got a new alky stove, a Chicom stainless steel one. Reviews called it "heavy," but I'm not an ultralight hiker. Most super light ones are also super delicate. Anyways.

The lesson was, "don't use old alcohol." My can was a few years old, and oxidation I presume had turned the stuff a bit yellow. I ran the new stove with the old alky, and got nasty residue which I'm still cleaning. And since it has a double-boiler kinda wall, brown bits are still coming out. Luckily no burner holes were plugged.

Lesson learned. Going to keep the stuff in small bottles, with no air space.

The stove is quite good, BTW. Need to get a pic up. For a single boil / single meal, alky stoves do well, despite the inability to SEE the flame during day - but you can feel it ... :devil:

AA

So last year I tested the stove I posted above and it was not working properly. I ended up buying a trangia last minute for a trip. It worked ok. I wanted the Toaks siphon stove and as soon as it was back in stock I ordered it. It’s an awesome little UL alcohol stove.
3C9FCD97-1F3F-45CE-BFF2-81938D9D1213.jpeg

40CC585C-E74E-4247-B2CE-67F23AAB7744.jpeg

Top Bottom