What's new

1947 - a year of 3 strange and magnificent rhodium Gillettes

Very nice razors!

The immediate post-war era was very difficult in the United Kingdom, far worse than in the US because there was quite a bit of industry bombed into oblivion unlike in the US.

Production changeover in the US was rough -- many plants had been converted to military production and no work at all was done on civilian products beyond bare minimums after 1941 -- in the UK since 1939. Machinery and molds, presses, materials, and so forth got scattered and lost, skilled workers had moved on, etc.

Most manufacturers simply started producing whatever they had been before the war for which dies, jigs, and tooling had not be lost or converted, often with left over parts stored since the war started. I'm quite sure Gillette was scrambling to produce anything for sale, including the luxury market, and whatever was available in numbers to meet demand was assembled and shipped. I'm sure there were other unusual items only made for a year or two while conversion to civilian manufacture occurred. Foutains pens are similar, there are a lot of "hybrid" ones out there using a mix of pre and post war parts, and strange things like solid silver caps rather than stainless steel, simply because silver was available (not a war material) and stainless was not (it was a war material). Brass wasn't available at all.

Same thing happened during the Korean war -- those aluminum and steel handle Super Speeds weren't a choice, same thing for the black knob version (bakelite vs plated brass). More brass was used for shell casing between 1950 and early 1953 than between 1941 and 1945 by the US military, and brass shortages occurred again during the late 60's and early 70's due to Viet Nam.

Anyway, we get to enjoy some rare and unusual razors as a result, even if it's impossible to find any production information for them!

I am not a vintage razor connoisseur, as such, I really know nothing about them. All I know is, men had less options available to them back then, then we have today. For example, it was common for men back in the day to use body soap for shave soap, there was no dedicated shave soap back then. And it would be a long time before Barbassol became a thing! Nice pictures, loved the post.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "... there was no dedicated shave soap back then."

Williams Mug Shaving Soap springs immediately to mind.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "... there was no dedicated shave soap back then."

Williams Mug Shaving Soap springs immediately to mind.

I wasn't aware of that 2-years ago, I was a newbie then, hadn't heard of it, and wasn't raised in the silent generation. I of course know about it now, and have read many topics on it. Seems like a soap that many loved, sad it got discontinued, after 184-years of soap production.

Very nice razors!

The immediate post-war era was very difficult in the United Kingdom, far worse than in the US because there was quite a bit of industry bombed into oblivion unlike in the US.

Production changeover in the US was rough -- many plants had been converted to military production and no work at all was done on civilian products beyond bare minimums after 1941 -- in the UK since 1939. Machinery and molds, presses, materials, and so forth got scattered and lost, skilled workers had moved on, etc.

Most manufacturers simply started producing whatever they had been before the war for which dies, jigs, and tooling had not be lost or converted, often with left over parts stored since the war started. I'm quite sure Gillette was scrambling to produce anything for sale, including the luxury market, and whatever was available in numbers to meet demand was assembled and shipped. I'm sure there were other unusual items only made for a year or two while conversion to civilian manufacture occurred. Foutains pens are similar, there are a lot of "hybrid" ones out there using a mix of pre and post war parts, and strange things like solid silver caps rather than stainless steel, simply because silver was available (not a war material) and stainless was not (it was a war material). Brass wasn't available at all.

Same thing happened during the Korean war -- those aluminum and steel handle Super Speeds weren't a choice, same thing for the black knob version (bakelite vs plated brass). More brass was used for shell casing between 1950 and early 1953 than between 1941 and 1945 by the US military, and brass shortages occurred again during the late 60's and early 70's due to Viet Nam.

Anyway, we get to enjoy some rare and unusual razors as a result, even if it's impossible to find any production information for them!

Thanks so much for this added info - I really learned a lot here 🙏

Again, why British Gillette would market such a hybrid model is not known, but the above explanations could well be realistic including that British Gillette had to make do with prewar parts and found it easier - or necessary - to get US handles over to fit their high-end offering?

Many open comb Aristocrats you see on ebay are actually post war models. There's tons of them... this suggests they were in production for quite some time (1945-1947 even?)

They have the same handle as the 1948 model making them very easy to spot.

This post war knurling has the same ring/crimp proportions as the US style handle (which uses the same UK fat/thin handle tech knurling) so I highly doubt any US parts were used.

Maybe they were a market test but Gillette UK wanted greater distinction between the Aristo and tech models?

Keep post-war production setup simple
Gillettes lineup over this period was incredibly convoluted. Buy a #44 safety razor set and you could've got one of 4-5 different razors! (inc RFB Tech)

Top Bottom