What's new

I just made my own backpacker's stove (penny can stove)

I've always wanted to make my own penny can stove and today was the day.

Total cost: 20 minutes of my time. Works great.

2 12 oz. aluminium soft drink or beer cans insides rinsed out and dried
1 small piece 3" wide fiberglass pipe wrap insulation (I used a 6" piece folded double) to act as a wick. Some folks dispense with this.
1 United States one-cent piece dated BEFORE 1982 as '82 or newer are made of zinc not copper and will melt.

Tools:

A short length of scrap 2x4 lumber (actual thickness is 1.75"
1 box cutter razor blade (the trapezoidal shaped type)
1 fine tip felt marker aka 'Sharpie pen"
1 bulletin board "push pin" (plastic handle)
A multi-tool with pliers on it (or needle nose pliers)

I needed the bottom 1.75" of both soft drink cans. On a work table I held the razor blade down on the wood block with one hand letting a little bit stick out and slowly turned both cans against the blade edge until they were scored (takes a bit of time). Using both thumb on the upper portion of the cans I pressed below the score mark separating the can bottoms. I placed the folder over piece of insulation in one can half and set it aside (It's the bottom of the stove).

On the other can half around the circumference I marked 16 dots (4 then four more then four more) then poked through each dot with the push pin. On the bottom surface (which becomes the stove's top) I marked then pierced 5 holes like you'd see on a gambling dice. i used the coin to trace around to ensure all holes would fit inside the circumference of the penny when stove is in use.

Next step was to flute the edge of that same piece with the pliers making a "flute" ever 3/4" and 1/2" deep in order to fit the top piece into the bottom. You carefully work the top into the bottom while gently rotating the fluted top half until it slips into the bottom piece and then gently press the halves together without crushing the stove. Then I turned the stove upside down on the work table and using the wood block gently tapped the halves further together to finish.

Outside for test run. I had a yellow bottle of HEET (methylated spirits used as a fuel line antifreeze) for fuel. Placed the stove on a brick on the driveway, poured approximately 1.5 oz. (45ml) of HEET into the top holes of the stove making sure to spill a little bit down the side of the stove and then lit it.

Stove primed easily and was in full bloom in maybe 15 seconds. Tossed the penny on the fill holes of the lit stove and away we go. Run time was about 8-9 minutes.

Now i need to fashion a pot stand (maybe use wire mesh aka "construction cloth" and some sort of wind screen.

Just to add...

I have previously made very simple stoves out of aluminium "Fancy Feast" cat food cans. I punched two rows of holes just below the lid rim using a hand-held hole punch. These also work very well and they don't need a pot stand just a wind screen.

FUEL: I use methanol (Yellow Heet) as the product comes in a handy 12 oz. plastic bottle and is inexpensive. I already knew not to use any form of isopropyl alcohol as it burns cooler and leaves a sooty mess on pots and pans. The local hardware store sells cans of denatured alcohol and denatured alcohol "stove fuel" but it's pricer. If I'm feeling rich I might buy a bottle of 190 proof grain neutral spirits aka "Everclear". Some for the stove and some mixed with water and "water enhancer" to make jungle juice cocktails!

Pictures?! I find that the Heet bottles leak like crazy. When I use my alcohol stove I put the Heet into an old Sprite bottle (the individual size). The green color guarantees I won't mistake it for my water bottle.

I just knocked out a second one.

PennyCanStoves.jpg

The second stove I made was a little more finicky to ignite and prime but once it did produced an excellent bloom. Got to purposely spill fuel down the side and around the bottom of the stove to get it to heat up an start the priming process.

I saw a video earlier today by a youtuber who calls himself PaleoHikerMD and in it he reviewed an aluminium priming ring that goes under your stove (homemade or commercially made).

It's called a Prime-Lite Lighter Pan and it's made by Trail Designs. $2.99USD

Prime-Lite Primer Pan - https://www.traildesigns.com/products/prime-lite-primer-pan

Legion

Staff member
I've been making these forever. Next you need to make a wind guard of some sort, and a pot stand.

I have a mess kit that stores a cup, the above with the stove, and some fuel, all nestled together.

The stove design I use is the double wall variety, that doesn't require the penny or any priming.

Pepsi_can_stove_exploded.jpg

Normally I use a Trangia kit, but it is fun to DIY it as well.

B035C045-79CF-4DA3-BD6A-E2B1884A506D.jpeg
CDE53D32-A62A-4E34-9E3D-717FC26ECC45.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Watched the video; thanks. Do agree with author's points. Cannister is more expensive, he left that out. Negligible cost if bucket-list hiking the AT! 🤣 Retiree living on a boat might opt for the alky stove.

Match the stove to the mission... I'll take one on a light day hike to boil two cups of water, once, on a non windy day. 🤔 Think I'd take Two Hour Energy bottles of premeasured alky. Dump, light, check, cook, eat.

AA

I made a couple more penny stoves with the remaining cans I had on hand but that's likely all of that design I'm going to make. Might make a couple of the "double wall" design although my Trangia is the same thing.

I don't own an iso/butane stove but am looking at one of those EtekCity stoves as a cheap entry. At this point I don't need to invest in an MSR/SOTO/Etc.

In my post about the commercially-made primer pan I forgot to mention that if you use a penny can stove you need to also have some sort of priming pan. A steel lid off of a pickle jar will work as will the lid of a steel can (use a side-cutting can opener not a standard one.

Pennies minted before 1982 are getting harder to find. I went through a change jar containing nothing but pennies (approx. $7-8 worth) and was only able to find 39 of them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:a39:Made a few, have the Triangia, but the one I stuck with was the White Box Stove.

Guy makes them out of those (now hard to find) rock-hard aluminum "beer bottles." It's crush proof, unlike my efforts.

White Box Stoves is still in business. Good example of an idea making it- not big, but big enough.

AA

I made penny stoves for myself and friends back in the day. Heineken use to have keg shaped cans that worked well for stoves. I just dug out some gear because I’m planning a trip. So I had mine handy for a picture.

stove on left, snuffer in the middle with a paper clip handle and the simmer ring on the right.
85FB7FEC-AAD9-4B9E-B692-8E623A6D4A1D.jpeg

Top Bottom