What's new

SHARK WEEK: July 24-31!!

In the Clutches of a JAWS Platinum Blade #1 - Shave #4

TL;DR -
Let down shave, some tugginess...and...there...was...blood!!

Equipment: SCS Model A, JAWS Platinum(4), CTS Cowboy Spice Shave Soap

The Shave: I went into today's shave with great expectations, I hit the lather sweet spot, the blade was treating me well, but all the while luring me into its JAWS!! I notice some tugging during the WTG pass, but after the ATG pass, there was too much stubble. So I tried a bit of clean up, and that's when the 4 weepers appeared!! The resulting shave was close but some tugging, some irritation, and some loss of precious red stuff means that this blade is done!!

In the Clutches of a JAWS Platinum Blade #1 - Shave #4

TL;DR -
Let down shave, some tugginess...and...there...was...blood!!

Equipment: SCS Model A, JAWS Platinum(4), CTS Cowboy Spice Shave Soap

The Shave: I went into today's shave with great expectations, I hit the lather sweet spot, the blade was treating me well, but all the while luring me into its JAWS!! I notice some tugging during the WTG pass, but after the ATG pass, there was too much stubble. So I tried a bit of clean up, and that's when the 4 weepers appeared!! The resulting shave was close but some tugging, some irritation, and some loss of precious red stuff means that this blade is done!!

Good man!! At least you didn’t try to bite back!! :letterk1::letterk1:

July 26

My second shave of Shark Week. Since I'm on vacation, I don't have a lot of variety in hardware or software. However, I did bring some extra 3D printed baseplates for my Gillette tech, thanks to @RDM . Today, I used the most aggressive Old Type baseplate. Did to the blade exposure, I knew it would be a challenge, and it was. A very close shave, but also a minor flesh wound to the neck.

PXL_20220726_193807736.jpg

Shark SS shave #3: The SHARK BITES!!

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Rudy Vey/EverReady 2-band
Soap: PdP #63
Splash: Proraso green

Comment: Overconfident after yesterday’s fine shave I ended up with 2 weepers!!

Be EXTRA CAREFUL when swimming with the sharks!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

I spent the night on my boat in anticipation of heading for Michigan City Indiana early this morning. Instead I headed for home after a sleepless night and testing positive for Covid-19 early this morning. I plan to have my son drive me this weekend to join up with the group. FYI am fully vaccinated and boosted twice. Right now my symptoms are that of a good cold. So heads up to everyone.
Now that the whining is over I’ll get to my shave.
Rockwell 6C plate 5
Shark Super Stainless 1st use
Proraso white preshave
Proraso white shavesoap tub. One of my go to soaps. It’s refreshing to me without overkill.
DSC badger brush
Proraso green aftershave
Proraso white balm
Alum feedback. Face-very low. Neck-very low.
The shave was close and fairly comfortable. Better than yesterday’s shave.
9/10

View attachment 1494487

I hope your Covid recovery is without major problems.
My wife and I are doing very good after a few days feeling yucky from Covid.
Best Wishes to you.
John

SHARK WEEK SHAVE #3
Open Comb Razor: Timeless SS .95 OC

20220726_221405-02-01.jpeg

The third outing of the S³ (Shark Super Stainless) blade was a really nice one. I guess the impact of the super smooth Timeless .95 OC can't be ignored when it comes to evaluating this suprisingly smooth shave, however, a nice smooth shave remains a nice smooth shave :) Almost bbs subsequent to two passes and touchups. No blood in the water, not a faint weeper.

What's more to ask for? 😉

Enjoy your Sharky Tuesday!

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I hope your Covid recovery is without major problems.
My wife and I are doing very good after a few days feeling yucky from Covid.
Best Wishes to you.
John
Thanks for the well wishes.
My wife and granddaughter had Covid a week ago. All three of us stayed on our boat for two weeks. I thought I got by unscathed. I guess not. Right now I feel like I have a cold. If it doesn’t get worse I’ll weather the storm no problem.

Shark week shave 2
JAWS and Jaws
Great shave, going very well, rinsed after second pass…
Trickle down left side neck. Never have an issue below ear but there it was. Didn’t feel a thing and didn’t have to work to stop it.
Rest of shave went off without a hitch.

Today’s Shark week shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend. Doubles as a shark repellent.

Razor: Henson Al13 +++
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Soap: Baume. Be. I’m new to this cream. It can take a lot of water, you can drown it and it doesn’t get runny.

Brush: omega brush 20102. This is the season of the boar. I have been using boar brushes lately
Balm Stirling unscented balm.
Aftershave: Chicago Grooming 40 a pretty decent dupe of Tom Fords F***ing Fabulous.

The Shark SS is ok not as good as the platinum. I got one weeper in the moustache area. On to the Shark chrome for the next shave.
Stately BBS

First shave with the Shark Super Chrome is in the books. Its been ages since I used a blade that dull. Glad I only have one tuck. No blood in the water today because that toothless shark couldn't gum it's way through my man hide if it had all day to chew on me.

I'll wait a couple days then give that blade another shot. Maybe SC's are one of those blades that mysteriously get better on the 2nd shave, 'tho somehow I doubt it.

Happy Shark hunting!

Shark week shave #2. I tossed the previous blade and grabbed a fresh Super Chrome. Again no blood, but tugging was as bad as I've run into, maybe ever. Tossed that blade. My next shave will be another Super Chrome but I'm going to put it in a Slant and see if that helps this this toothless shark grow some baby teeth.

I have some Shark Platinums on hand. The plats worked well for me last time I used them a couple years ago. If worse comes to worse I'll dig those out, but I want to make sure I give the SC's a good chance before I put them on the "never again" list.

Be vigilant fellow shark hunters!

The Nancy Boy balm is my go to if I have bad shave. It soothes better than anything else I have tried.

It's up there for me! I think Kiehl's Ultimate Razor Burn (step 1) --> Facial Fuel (step 2) is probably the best post-shave combo of anything I've tried, but that requires two applications--and costs over twice as much for half as much product. :biggrin:

Decent but not phenomenal first shave with the Platinum today - one weeper, not super close. It's a pretty mild blade overall, although not quite as forgiving as the Super Stainless. Probably need a more aggressive razor than the Tatara to make the best use of it.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Shark Week shave#3
IMG_20220726_132211.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Shark Platinum(3)
Soap: EJ Limes & Pomegranate
Brush: Omega Boar

Tonight out came the Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate, another 3017 soap but one I like much more than yesterday's Agrumella. Also changed to the Muhle Rocca R94.
The result was a big improvement in the shave quality, the soap was slicker and the razor was more comfortable than the R41 by a country mile. Still left me with a little roughness under the jawline, but no need for witch hazel.
The blade is doing well although I think it has already lost some of its sharpness, but the new razor makes it smoother and more efficient. I think I have finally tamed the shark.
f245f378-b46f-4b30-b752-b394f0299952-m.jpg

Shark Week PIF, Shave #3

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Jaws SS DE Blade
Rubberset 400-3 Boar
WMS

Again, a 3 pass BBS with no ensuing drama. Not quite as smooth as the Shark SS, not quite as close as the Shark Platinum, but all three blades seem to be in the same ballpark across the board. Now that's after only one shave each. My opinions might change as the blades age. Of course, with only an 8-day Shark week and 3 blades, none of these blades are going to need a lot of endurance. I'll be going back to the Platinum tomorrow.

Not much else to say when nothing goes wrong.

Shave #3
Swithed to Oceana soap and balm.
Razor: 84 JAWS
Blade: Super Platinum (2)

Felt more tugging on the atg pass today. Tomorrow I will switch to a fresh Chrome. Reopened the nip from yesterday but no other issues. Pretty smooth 2 pass event. So far the Shark has provided reasonably good shaves but those little nips are becoming a habit! I'm worried they may decide to take a bigger bite soon. I may have to switch to Arko. I understand that may be a repellent.

Top Bottom