What's new

SHARK WEEK 2023: July 11-18!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is actually yesterday's shave. better late than never, I hope (and sorry about the lack of "sharkiness").

View attachment 1688302

ETHOS ShaveMD hit the spot big-time for me today. ShaveMD is, among other things, one of the tip-top most refreshing offerings among the contenders in my somewhat cluttered den.

Today's shave was also a delightful maiden voyage with a new to me Enders Speed Shaver. For now, I'll skip the long story that preceded the happy ending, but suffice it to say first, that this is a beautiful marbled butterscotch example, which is not at all apparent in todays photo, and second, that along with the soap and brush, it delivered a smooth and totally bloodless BBS shave. I was not expecting that, especially after having had to jump through a few hoops to get this particular Enders up and runni
ng.

Pre ..... Splash & Soak (comfortably hot water)
Brush ... Brad Sears 3 Band Super L7 (28mm)
Soap .... ETHOS ShaveMD (F Base)
Razor ... Butterscotch Enders Speed Shaver w Hendrix Classic Adapter (Mild) and Proline B-20
Post .... ETHOS ShaveMD SFS
Finish .. Bleu De Chanel EDP
That is a temptingly beautiful razor my friend! Actually, all of the items photographed well.

Back from the depths!

The depths of my den that is.

I had to do some diving into my den to search for the Shark blades and tags that a fine gentleman from Maine sent me last year. Thanks @Grundi !

Realize that I am catching this thread a bit late. I was thinking Shark Week fell later in the month. Well, at my age getting lucky means finding my car in the parking lot.

At any rate, it was a decent shave with the Shark Platinum, paired with the FH Tech. No blood!

Happy shaving gents!!

20230718_154045.jpg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20230718_123550.jpg

365 shaves in 2023
Shave#198 of 365 (100% 167 left)
Shark Week

Razor:
RR Lupo 95 SB
Blade: Shark SS (4)
Brush: Omega 20106 Boar
Soap: MWF
A/S: Old Spice
Moisturizer: Nivea Hyaluron

One last Shark shave tonight it was yet another MWF shave lathered with the enormous Omega Boar. The puck is saturated with water and feels a little rubbery now but still gives amazing lathers. The hole is still growing and whilst I was shaking bloom water off the puck it fell out of its container and it has been well stuck for the last couple of years it has been in it.
I loaded a Shark SS into the Lupo and shaved away. The shave was once again a BBS and a comfortable one at that

Well I switched to the Shark super stainless for yesterday's shave. I used the same setup - Slim on 5, (sh)Arko stick.

Shark bite! Again! The super stainless felt rough and tuggy compared to the chrome. It felt not efficient but got the job done. I had one nick and multiple weepers to get a decent feeling shave but the summer heat irritation really came out later in the day.

Chrome +1, stainless -1.

As a side note, I generally get a good shave with no nicks, cuts, weepers, or irritation. The super stainless really ate me up.

Shark Week Shave #8

Blade: Super Chrome (2)
Razor: JAWs .84
Soap: B&M Bay Rum
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
A/S: VIBR

The last shave of Shark Week was a good one. Great lather from the Bay Rum. No nics or weepers. No tugging. I was certain this was going to be the best shave of the week and then... Of all things, I was turning the handle on the JAWs to remove the blade, the head turned in my hand and sliced my thumb. Bled like a stuck hog! So much so, it tinted the sink water. When it comes to clearing flesh from bone, I believe the Shark Super Chrome is up to the task, nice clean cut. Anyway, the shave itself was a good one, DFS+. It has been a fun week and I have enjoyed all the humor and pics.

Thanks again @BigJ for hosting the event!

1689728252881.png

The Dawn of the Final Day

Sixth shave on the same blade and this one was phenomenal.
Just got this Gillette New 1930s from eBay and it gave me the best shave of the run.

Call this razor the Orca cause it tamed this shark. Gonna keep the blade to the side to see how many shaves I can get out of it.
But for now gonna move on to the Surf vs Turf challenge.

Thanks for facilitating, @BigJ!

Since I got used to a heavier fat handled razor the past two days, I thought it was time to get out my other OTHER Tech, my Fat Handled Prewar Version. (My usual is a slim ball handled Early Post war, I also have a fat handled Early Postwar Tech). It is a bit more aggressive than my other Techs and my NEW, but I figured I was ready for it. Sure enough, after a very careful first pass, I got a great shave! It also had less mercy on that persistent weeper, opened it up early. It had more blood 🩸 than usual, but still settled down after the first pass. Shave 16 for this Super Stainless, finishing Shark Week 2023 with a 9.95/10. Now she goes back in the tank awaiting Shark Week 2024.
Kudos to @BigJ for keeping it real (bloody)!
IMG_2469.jpeg

Shark Week Shave 8

Gillette NEW Short Comb
Third blade -- Shark Super Chrome (2)
Semogue boar brush
Stirling Sheep
Cold water to finish

After a bit of tugging on this blade's first use I got a much smoother shave today resulting in a very respectable DFS. I might even keep this blade going for a few more shaves. Will I buy these Super Chromes again? Probably not, but I'm tempted to pick up a pack of the platinums next chance I get. Thanks @BigJ for hosting Shark Week. I had a lot of fun!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shark Week Shave 8

Gillette NEW Short Comb
Third blade -- Shark Super Chrome (2)
Semogue boar brush
Stirling Sheep
Cold water to finish

After a bit of tugging on this blade's first use I got a much smoother shave today resulting in a very respectable DFS. I might even keep this blade going for a few more shaves. Will I buy these Super Chromes again? Probably not, but I'm tempted to pick up a pack of the platinums next chance I get. Thanks @BigJ for hosting Shark Week. I had a lot of fun!
I never did find my old Shark blade I've been using all these years! If/when I find it I'm going to shave with it and report.

Date
365 daily shaves
195/365
GRUME July
19/31
SOTMC
19/31
Consistency Shaves
17/31
Blade Biter’s Archive03/32

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo Nickel*
Shark Platinum (13)Kox Blue Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Dutchy BergamotCold splash
Aftershave
Balm
* OEM Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to this shave:

I know, I know, Shark Week is officially over. But this Shark keeps biting away at my stubble with fantastic end results.

General - although the blade was going on 13 today I feel smooth and groomed. Excellent shave.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
High Efficiency Summah/Gentlemanly Restraint/Shark Week

Last night’s opulent and stupendous shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84 29/100
Shark Super Stainless (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Whipped Dog Butterscotch 30mm boar brush 3/100
Pre-shave: no
Lather: SV Felce Aromatica, face-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Saponifico Varesino… …even when the lather doesn’t lather, it’s still great. All my brush-loading efforts achieved a thin shaving lotion that softened my whiskers and was slick as all get-out. Things I like. Also, the bit of claimed sandalwood scent caused no irritation. When I remembered to load a blade in my razor, a comfortable and close shave occurred. Unlike the last few shaves with very thin lather, there was no aftershave sting. No blood, either, so ending Shark Week victoriously.

Thank you for the fun week, @BigJ !

High Efficiency Summah/Gentlemanly Restraint/Shark Week

Last night’s opulent and stupendous shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84 29/100
Shark Super Stainless (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Whipped Dog Butterscotch 30mm boar brush 3/100
Pre-shave: no
Lather: SV Felce Aromatica, face-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Saponifico Varesino… …even when the lather doesn’t lather, it’s still great. All my brush-loading efforts achieved a thin shaving lotion that softened my whiskers and was slick as all get-out. Things I like. Also, the bit of claimed sandalwood scent caused no irritation. When I remembered to load a blade in my razor, a comfortable and close shave occurred. Unlike the last few shaves with very thin lather, there was no aftershave sting. No blood, either, so ending Shark Week victoriously.

Thank you for the fun week, @BigJ !

Great work! And you, Sir, are most welcome!!:ouch1::ouch1:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Finished up Shark Week with a fully themed shave. The Father Knows Beach soap is a combo scent of suntan lotion mixed with Old Spice. Sounds weird, but it’s an oddly great combination. Very pleasing scent. And the performance is great. Super slick and cushiony. Finished up with some Old Spice splash.

Grabbed my toothy open comb Wolfman, and installed a fresh Shark Platinum blade. Not a great outing for this blade. Never is. I haven’t yet met a Shark blade I have liked. This one was no exception. A bit tuggy. Quite uncomfortable. But the end results were decent. Just not a smooth shave for me. That’s why the Shark Blades only come out for Shark Week. The Jaws blades are excellent though. So there’s that.

I will still be participating in the Battle of the Beasts blade challenge, so we may see some more toothy critters coming into the mix in the coming weeks. We will see if the Sharks get a rematch. Lol.

Paladin Beehive
Father Knows Beach soap
Old Spice splash
Wolfman WR2 1.15 OC Bronze
Shark Platinum (1)

IMG_1446.jpeg

View attachment 1688396

The Dawn of the Final Day

Sixth shave on the same blade and this one was phenomenal.
Just got this Gillette New 1930s from eBay and it gave me the best shave of the run.

Call this razor the Orca cause it tamed this shark. Gonna keep the blade to the side to see how many shaves I can get out of it.
But for now gonna move on to the Surf vs Turf challenge.

Thanks for facilitating, @BigJ!

Great work!! You survived!! Thanks for joining the FUN!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Since I got used to a heavier fat handled razor the past two days, I thought it was time to get out my other OTHER Tech, my Fat Handled Prewar Version. (My usual is a slim ball handled Early Post war, I also have a fat handled Early Postwar Tech). It is a bit more aggressive than my other Techs and my NEW, but I figured I was ready for it. Sure enough, after a very careful first pass, I got a great shave! It also had less mercy on that persistent weeper, opened it up early. It had more blood 🩸 than usual, but still settled down after the first pass. Shave 16 for this Super Stainless, finishing Shark Week 2023 with a 9.95/10. Now she goes back in the tank awaiting Shark Week 2024.
Kudos to @BigJ for keeping it real (bloody)!
View attachment 1688402

Good news!! You get the next year to build up your blood count!! :a35::a35::a35:

Thanks for joining the FUN!!

Shark Week Shave #8

Blade: Super Chrome (2)
Razor: JAWs .84
Soap: B&M Bay Rum
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
A/S: VIBR

The last shave of Shark Week was a good one. Great lather from the Bay Rum. No nics or weepers. No tugging. I was certain this was going to be the best shave of the week and then... Of all things, I was turning the handle on the JAWs to remove the blade, the head turned in my hand and sliced my thumb. Bled like a stuck hog! So much so, it tinted the sink water. When it comes to clearing flesh from bone, I believe the Shark Super Chrome is up to the task, nice clean cut. Anyway, the shave itself was a good one, DFS+. It has been a fun week and I have enjoyed all the humor and pics.

Thanks again @BigJ for hosting the event!

You are most welcome, Sir!!

Lesson for next year: Do NOT PET the SHARKS!! :a47::a47::a47::a47:

Top Bottom