Nanny's Rose Geranium ¤ Myrsol Balsamica ¤ Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

proxy.php

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Razor: Wade & Butcher (Full Hollow)

Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Samhain
Brush: AKA Brushworx Never Alone #13 w/ 26mm Doughman knot
Bowl: Tillamook Cobalt

Aftershave: Elysian Soap Shop Unscented Balm

I went into this shave very curious. I picked up Samhain a while ago, I can't even remember exactly when. It was part of some other purchase but until today, I never used it.

Boy was I a fool for waiting. Off the jar, I was a little put-off but once I lathered it, I was immediately impressed. I think I got a lot more (raw) pumpkin from the jar but once lathered I really loved the blending of the notes, especially the sandalwood which mellows the whole thing out. But the whole mix with the pumpkin, bourbon, and tobacco really comes together for a fun festive scent perfect for this time of year.

The soap lathered up well and was appropriately slick. I can say I have no issues with this base at all as straight razor shaving really puts a soap to the test. This one succeeded easily.

The Doughman knot did a great job and was fun to use. I'm really happy with this brush from AKA Brushworx.

The Elysian unscented balm was outstanding! Just a small amount spreads wide and leaves a long-lasting, great feel. It's loaded with high-quality ingredients and from now on will be my go-to aftershave balm. If you're in the market for a balm, I highly suggest you pick this one.

Alright friends, take care and enjoy your shaves.

10/29/23 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Dr. Squatch Limited Edition Bricc Of The Dead Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Enlightener Well Conditioning Shampoo Puck - March Seasonal Favorite!
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements ICE CUBE 2.0 Preshave Soap - Mentholated
The Club Boo Shaving Soap for VIP Members K2e
A&E Retro Shaving Brush for VIP members with 24mm G5C Premium Synthetic Fan Knot
Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl - Obsidian
HC&C The Fleshette (Pointed End) Shave Soap Scoop
Phoenix Shaving Ceramic Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Yaqi Knight Helmet Safety Razor Head, Matte Nickel with 85mm RazoRock Polished Grade 2 Ti HALO Handle
Phoenix Shaving Platinum Strangelet Super Sharps Double Edge Blades - 1st Shave
Lancaster Razor Works Lavender Black Sheep Shaving Towel
Phoenix Shaving No Slip Grip Alum Block
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alum Block Dry Dock System
Barbedeaux - Aftershave Lotion Moisturizing Razor Bump Therapy
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Epic 5% Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) Serum
Prosperity & Wealth Potion from The Holy Black The Alchemist: mysteriorum aromaticus the secret art of alchemical perfumes
Dr. Squatch Limited Edition Sticc Of The Dead Deodorant
The Holy Black Seven Deadly Sins Greed Pomade
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Official Phoenix Shaving Barber's Mat! The Perfect Addition to Your Shave Station!
A IMG_5112.jpeg

SOTD-Quantum-Alpha-B-W_2023-10-23.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip D01 16/47
Soap: LEA Classic
Razor: Phoenix Quantum Alpha Butterscotch
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (5)
ASL: LEA Classic

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
AGAIN, all my shaves with this razor are excellent. My software and hardware team just can't be beat! :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
Hi Cal,
Sorry for the late reply. It is hard for me to get on during the week lately, nevertheless you asked about the Quantum razor. Had the brass version and picked up the second proto copper version. Both corrode fast and easy on the base plates. I think the brass is worse and think they should have used a plating on the brass and coating on the copper. The copper does retain more heat when put under hot running water. As such, I like the copper better than the brass. The feel is about the same as best as I can remember as well as the weight. The razor is mild, but I do not think as mild as its reputation. Overall it is a good shaver. To be honest, I much prefer the original Eclipse. I prefer the blade feel and the adjustability. I think the Eclipse is also smoother and more efficient. What is your thoughts? Nice picture above.
Regards,
Steve

Shave Date 10/29/23
Razor:
NOS Military issue Vietnam Era Tech
Blade: Gillette Platnum (3)
Pre-Shave: PRazor Emporium Pre-shave soap as a face wash and ARKO! Stick as a preshave soap
Soap: ARKO!
Brush: Omega Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayers, PAA Mysterium Serum, Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for Cuts and weepers (0), 8 for closeness, neck stubble, and just a hint on the jawline.

Notes here.

Another shave swimming with the dolphins. The shave was just about as smooth as yesterday's shave. Just a tad more stubble on a few areas. The NOS Tech did a fine job, it is on the smaller side and would be a wonderful razor for travel. I wasn't too sure about Whiskey Woods, but my wife approved and it smelt good once I wore it.

I wish everyone a blessed Sunday, may all your haves be BBS, nick, and weeper free.
IMG_1594.jpeg

Last edited:
SOTD-Quantum-Beta-B-G_2023-10-29.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip D01 16/47
Soap: LEA Classic
Razor: Phoenix Quantum Beta Butterscotch
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (9)
ASL: LEA Classic

A fine shave. :biggrin:

As @jason2 found the Beta baseplate more aggressive than the Alpha, I had to get my Beta baseplate out of its bag and try it out. When I started there didn't seem to be much difference. When the shave was complete I'd say the Beta baseplate is less aggressive than the Alpha (as stated by Phoenix) but not by much. I enjoyed the shave, but I'll be sticking to the Alpha baseplate in the future.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Hi Cal,
Sorry for the late reply. It is hard for me to get on during the week lately, nevertheless you asked about the Quantum razor. Had the brass version and picked up the second proto copper version. Both corrode fast and easy on the base plates. I think the brass is worse and think they should have used a plating on the brass and coating on the copper. The copper does retain more heat when put under hot running water. As such, I like the copper better than the brass. The feel is about the same as best as I can remember as well as the weight. The razor is mild, but I do not think as mild as its reputation. Overall it is a good shaver. To be honest, I much prefer the original Eclipse. I prefer the blade feel and the adjustability. I think the Eclipse is also smoother and more efficient. What is your thoughts? Nice picture above.
Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply, appreciated.

My only Quantum is the latest with the two copper baseplates (I prefer the Alpha baseplate). I'm glad you think it's a good shaver. I like mine very much.

I've always been intrigued by the Eclipse Red Ring... but have never found one that I like at a price that I like (that's the reason I got the Quantum :laugh:).

Cheers,
Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom