What's new

Getting tired of unreliable supplies and branding.

Just looked at the packages I have, Super Max used to be the manufacturer, and they later used the brand Vidyut, but now it's Great White Ltd or something.

Who knows. Merger mania seems to have come to India....

I guess the CoViD downturn ruined things.

Where will Gillette Nacet blades be made in the future?
Less to do with Covid and more to do with what’s happening with Russia and Ukraine. From what I’ve been hearing I’m guessing that a lot of the Gillette products that have been being made in Russia will be manufactured in India

To answer the OP’s question I’d go with the German Personna platinum or the USA Personna comfort coated in that order

I'll second the Personna blades, they are definitely top tier for me, and I don't think the branding will change. Not that Personna (now Edgewell and whatever) doesn't do strange branding. However, I think all of the blades are essentially identical and made to the same standards, only differences are manufacturing variations. And those are small for Personna.

The dilemma for me is whether or not to buy boxes of blades I probably won't be able to get easily in the future, or buy boxes of blades from remaining companies to prevent them from going out of business or being taken over too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Any blade by Gillette who set the standards or Personna who have been around for close 100 years making quality blades has rewarded me great shaves over the years. Japanese blades usually have high quality also like the Kai & Feather brands IMO.

Any blade by Gillette who set the standards or Personna who have been around for close 100 years making quality blades has rewarded me great shaves over the years. Japanese blades usually have high quality also like the Kai & Feather brands IMO.
It's too YMMV, IMO.

For example, Feathers feel too scratchy to me.

But we are back at the usual YMMV aren't we.
I can add the Turkish blades for example, some hate them, I love them... Derbys, Concord, Bluebird.

One thing I don't understand, is why companies in this business are not more forthcoming with information. It's as if PR hadn't been invented.
All of a sudden tallow is just gone, last bottle of your fav aftershave gone, and we are left with rumors, and hear say from hobbyist who contact manufacturers. I find that rather extraordinary.

I am responding to an old post, but my thought is that us afficionados aside, razor blades are the epitome of what they call a commodity good. In other words, it is like rice or milk where most people don't know or care about the differences between labels and will buy what is cheap, available, and convenient.

I hazard to speculate that most people still shaving with DE blades (generally in the second and third world countries) fall into that group. They get whatever is locally available and don't give more thought to the topic beyond that.

I hazard to speculate that most people still shaving with DE blades (generally in the second and third world countries) fall into that group. They get whatever is locally available and don't give more thought to the topic beyond that.
You're probably right.
But, I hope people are smart enough to try different brands.
It's worth it. Voskhods (Russian) and Astra SPs (Indian) are my jam.
Although, I suspect that many men have skin that can tolerate any blade.

Top Bottom