What's new

Chat GPT v4 wet shaving icons of all time

I use chatgpt daily as part of my work.

I asked chatgpt what is the most iconic shaving brush, soap, de razor, and de blade. I was amazed at the precise answer,

Brush:
Choosing the most iconic shaving brush for wet shaving enthusiasts can be subjective, as it depends on individual preferences related to price, materials, aesthetics, and performance. However, a brush that's often mentioned in discussions about iconic shaving brushes is the Simpson Chubby.

The Simpson Chubby series, particularly the Chubby 2, is well-regarded for its dense knot of badger hair and its excellent water-holding and lathering capabilities. The brand itself, Simpson, has a long-standing history in the wet shaving community dating back to 1919. Its brushes are handmade in England and are known for their quality and performance.

Still, many other brands and models are loved by wet shaving hobbyists, including Plisson, Omega, and Mühle, each offering a variety of brush types, including synthetic, boar, and various grades of badger hair brushes.

Soap:
Selecting the most iconic shaving soap for wet shaving enthusiasts can also be a matter of personal preference. However, a few soaps have stood the test of time and remain popular in the wet shaving community due to their performance, scent, and overall quality.

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat: Known for its rich and moisturizing lather, this soap has been a staple for wet shavers for many years. It can be a bit tricky to lather, especially for beginners, but those who master it often swear by it.

2. Proraso Green: A staple in many Italian barber shops, Proraso Green is renowned for its refreshing menthol and eucalyptus scent. It provides a consistent and reliable lather.

3. Tabac Original: With its unique, strong tobacco flower fragrance, Tabac Original is a soap that's easily recognized by scent alone. It's also praised for its excellent lather and slickness.

4. Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood: This British-made shaving cream is beloved for its classic sandalwood scent and the thick, luxurious lather it produces.

Remember, the "iconic" status often comes from a combination of factors including longevity in the market, widespread use, and consistent high quality. These soaps have been around for years, and they continue to be praised by wet shaving enthusiasts.

DE Razor
When it comes to iconic double-edged safety razors, few can compete with the legacy of the Gillette Safety Razor Company, specifically the Gillette Fatboy Adjustable Safety Razor.

Introduced in 1958, the Fatboy (officially known as the Gillette 195 Adjustable) was one of the first razors that allowed users to adjust the blade exposure, thereby customizing the closeness and comfort of their shave. Its substantial feel, twist-to-open mechanism, and numbered adjustment dial are distinctive features that make the Fatboy a beloved piece of shaving history.

Though it was only produced until 1961, the Fatboy's design and influence have stood the test of time. Despite being discontinued, it remains highly sought after in the secondary market and is often recommended as a fantastic razor for both beginners and experienced wet shavers alike.

However, other contenders for the title of "most iconic" could include the Merkur 34C HD for its widespread use and consistent high-quality performance, and the Edwin Jagger DE89 for its modern design aesthetic and popularity among newcomers to traditional wet shaving.

DE blade:
Among the most iconic double-edged (DE) razor blades in the wet shaving community is the Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated blade.

Feather blades are manufactured in Japan and are well-known for their extreme sharpness. They're often considered the sharpest blades on the market. Many experienced wet shavers swear by Feather blades for achieving a very close shave.

However, because of their sharpness, Feather blades may not be the best choice for beginners or for those with very sensitive skin. As with any DE blade, the experience can vary widely from person to person, and the "best" or "most iconic" blade can often come down to individual skin type, hair coarseness, and personal preference.

It's also worth mentioning other popular and enduring blades like the Gillette Silver Blue and the Personna Blue, both of which are known for offering a good balance between sharpness and smoothness.

Ummm....it missed a couple things in the soap category.

1st, it hasn't picked up on Tabac smelling like an old lady's handbag.

2nd, Arko isn't on the list of iconic soaps with its piquant, urinal puck scent. Sure to upset a large portion of this shaving community.

We might want to provide that to the developers for V5.

It also missed the Merkur Progress razor. And that Simpson's brushes are made in the U.K., not England.

I use ChatGPT fairly often, as it often has better answers than Google, and a quite good research capability. The answers must be carefully vetted though, as it's a "Yes man" and will often tell you what you want to hear, regardless of the accuracy of the statement.

I asked it "what famous people used the Rolls Razor." It gave me a long list. After questioning the results and asking for verification, including quotes and references, only one or two of those people were confirmed to have used the Rolls Razor.

Before I spent any time on this forum, TOBS Sandalwood was the internet's recommendation for the best shaving soap. It's no surprise that it's on this list. I still haven't tried it.

Before I spent any time on this forum, TOBS Sandalwood was the internet's recommendation for the best shaving soap. It's no surprise that it's on this list. I still haven't tried it.
700+ bought in past week

I never noticed Amz had listed a stat like that.

Turns out this was one of the very first soaps I had purchased.

1686924596179.png

I've always wondered why the Simpson's brushes all say "Made In England" on the handle
View attachment 1672036
Because the last time you bought a Simpson's brush, it was manufactured before 2008 when they still made brushes in England? Since then, the brushes have been manufactured at Progress-Vulfix on the Isle of Man. Technically, they aren't even made in the U.K. either, though they are still made in Great Britain. Current stickers and logos show this. I'm not sure exactly when they actually changed over the stickers. I know it wasn't immediately.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I've always wondered why the Simpson's brushes all say "Made In England" on the handle
View attachment 1672036
I am no Simpson expert but one of my brushes is marked in lamp black 'London Made' which I guess means it was made at the original Simpson Clapham factory in London which was destroyed in 1941. Following that it is my understanding Simpson moved to Nimmer Mill near Chard in Somerset but may also have produced brushes at nearby Ilminster, possibly in conjunction with Coates. These I suspect are the 'Made In England' brushes. Finally they moved to the Isle Of Man in 2008 after being purchased by Vulfix since when the label has said 'Made In Great Britain'.

If AI makes the peoples' choice (many times based on price alone) the reference of things, we're in for some tough times... I'm sure companies can buy their way in AI just like they can buy their way in search engines. My preferred tools are Santa Maria Novella, Semogue SOC Badger, Fatip Originale with a Willy's blade and Proraso Green after shave. No mention of these. The truth is out there, but not only on the internet!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't play much with chat gpt but, I'm wondering which aftershave splash would be recommended?

So, I tried bing chat (that's what I got and I'm allowed 5 free questions a day). Maybe it's not the same but it seems to work. I'm wondering if someone asks the same question if the answer changes over time.

Anyways, I got :
  • Proraso aftershave lotion
  • Art of shaving balm, sandalwood
  • Jack Black post shave cooling gel
  • Clubman Pinaud AS lotion
  • Aramis by Aramis AS splash

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
of course, this forum and other similar sites were almost certainly a part of its training data
If this forum formed part of its research for this answer it surely would have devolved into a long screed about the removal of tallow from MWF and Tabac. Arko would definitely have been in there with a joke about urinals and there would have been a long argument on DE versus SR shaving

It also missed the Merkur Progress razor. And that Simpson's brushes are made in the U.K., not England.

I use ChatGPT fairly often, as it often has better answers than Google, and a quite good research capability. The answers must be carefully vetted though, as it's a "Yes man" and will often tell you what you want to hear, regardless of the accuracy of the statement.

I asked it "what famous people used the Rolls Razor." It gave me a long list. After questioning the results and asking for verification, including quotes and references, only one or two of those people were confirmed to have used the Rolls Razor.
I have frequently seen it getting math-based questions wrong.
But, it does a good job on subjective answers and explanations.

If this forum formed part of its research for this answer it surely would have devolved into a long screed about the removal of tallow from MWF and Tabac. Arko would definitely have been in there with a joke about urinals and there would have been a long argument on DE versus SR shaving
Spot on
IMG_8884.jpeg

Overall, while there's a sense of nostalgia and preference for the original tallow-based formulas, some members of the community are open to or satisfied with the new formulations. The reactions reflect a balance between appreciation for traditional soap-making methods and acceptance of new changes due to regulations or brand decisions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom