What's new

So, I tried a couple - few blades...

So, I tried a couple - few different DE blades.
I know this review will not be of the caliber you are all used to. But, I have put many, many months into testing and now a lot of thought into writing this.

ME:

I will start this off by saying, I know it is not the "right" way, but I shave before I shower. I always have. I have my reasons. I am not changing.
I am 48, I shave 7 days a week, no exceptions. My beard is very thick and coarse, but not to any crazy degree. I would say my skin sensitivity is average. Since I shave everyday sensitivity issues can build up if I do not get consistently good shaves.
I shave with cold water.
I am a 3 pass guy.

TECHNIQUE:

I vigorously rub cold tap water on my face for about a minute. That is my pre-shave.
I face lather.
First pass is top to bottom, face and neck.
Then I relather, adding water to brush as needed.
Second pass is top to bottom at something like a 45° angle from the outside to the inside, face and neck. (Starting by ears, then going down towards my throat.)
Then I relather again, adding water to brush as needed.
Third pass is bottom to top at something like a 45° angle from the outside to the inside. (Starting under the ears on my neck, then going up towards my mouth.)
With very rare exception I do not do touch up or clean up passes.

HARDWARE and SOFTWARE:

Razor- Henson AL13 Medium.
Brush- AP Shave Custom brush with 24mm G5C knot.
Soap- Still testing a dozen or so unscented soaps (review to come eventually).

PARAMETERS:

I like a smooth shave.
I define a smooth shave as having my whiskers cut clean and even. I hate it when I am left with patchy stubble that is torn as much as it is cut. I find this more irritating than razor burn. A smooth shave does not have to be BBS. It is nice to have a close shave, though. Just not at the expense of comfort.
After all, even with a BBS shave I am still all stubbly and casting a shadow after a few hours. I am still going to need to shave again tomorrow morning.
Never let perfect get in the way of comfortable.
I do not care for "tuggy" blades. They usually seem to make for an uneven shave. I like sharp and smooth. I could give a hoot about blade feel.

My ranking is based on the first 3 shaves from each individual blade. I do not take price, availability, or popularity into account. It is purely based on results... with my face... and my razor.
I will however, add notes, as I see fit, with my observations and opinions.

I used 1 of each blade, organized alphabetically, with at least 3 shaves on each blade. When I reached the end I did it all again with a new blade, for confirmation and perspective.
So, a minimum of 6 shaves, on 2 different blades of each variety. Some good blades were pushed for another day or two just to see what they do. Every so often either to give my face a break or recalibrate my expectations, I would revert to a known good blade for a few days.

If I can get 3 good shaves from a blade, it is good enough. Anything extra is a bonus.

GROUPS:

A = Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Clean, close and irritation free shave. Consistently excellent from first shave to last.

B = Great! I could happily use any of these every day. Solid performers, just not quite in the "A" group.

C = Pretty good to just OK. Not really bad, but not really great.

D = Not for me. A LOT people like a lot of these. I do not.

F = Hot garbage.

RANKING:

A
Dorco - Titan
Parker - Premium Platinum
Treet - Trig Silver Edge
Wizamet - Iridium Super
Zorrik - Super Platinum

B
Derby - Premium
Dorco - Prime Platinum
Gillette - 7 O'Clock (Green) Permasharp
RK Stainless
Shark - Platinum
Wilkonson Sword (German)

C
Astra - Superior Platinum
Bolzano - Superinox Inossidabile
Gillette - 7 O'Clock (Black) Super Platinum
Gillette - 7 O'Clock (Green) Super Stainless
Gillette - Minora
Gillette - Platinum
Gillette - Silver Blue
Kai - Stainless Steel
Personna - Med Prep
Voskhod - Teflon

D
Gillette - 365
Gillette - 7 O'Clock (Yellow) Sharpedge
Gillette - Nacet
Gillette - Perma-Sharp
Gillette - Rubie Platinum
Gillette - Sputnik
Personna - Platinum (Israel)
Personna - Platinum (Germany)
Petsonna - Lab Blue
Personna - Viking's Sword Polymer
Shark - Super Stainless

F
Derby - Extra
Feather - Hi Stainless
Muhle
Strangelete - Platinum

NOTES:

Astra SP - Meh. They clearly work for a lot of people. I was not impressed. Not the smoothest or cleanest shave.

Bolzano- Had a hard time deciding if these are "B" or "C" group? I guess "C." They could easily be "B." Pretty good though.

Derby Extra- WHY are these so recommended to new shavers? They are neither sharp nor smooth. What a terrible blade. Patchy uneven stubble, lots of tugging, whiskers are not cut so much as torn, irritation, and razor burn. Awful. Maybe, possibly well suited to a very thin beard with fine hair? Even then, you can do better.

Derby Premium- How are these made by the same people that make the Extra? The Premiums are great. Hard time getting the neck close with three passes.

Dorco Prime- My first go around was great. I thought solid "A" group. On the second blade, not so good. Lots of nicks. Very much a "C." So I split the difference and called them a "B." Consistency issues? Shame, that first blade was really good. These are probably worth further exploration. Not from me though, I am done blade testing.

Dorco Titan- I did not mean to order these. I only meant to get the Prime from Dorco. I am glad I did.
As discussed below with the RK Stainless, these are the other exception to my no 4th pass rule. I (often) do a 4th pass on just my throat with these.
Like the RK Stainless these are very much irritation free. Only these are sharp and cut clean and smooth (no tugging). They leave me with a very close shave. I quite like them. I do prefer a 3 pass shave, though.
If I had to shave and put on a tie immediately after, Titan would be a good choice.

Feather- I do not understand the popularity of these. The first shave is awful. Shaves 2 and 3 are pretty good. By shave 4 the performance drops off noticeably. What is the point? I know you can "cork" them or " reverse strop" them, but why?
They cost too much for 2 pretty good shaves and a lot of baggage.

Gillette 7 O'Clock (Green) Permasharp - The only "Gillette" branded razors I really like. Good and sharp, easy to cut a little too close, take care.

Gillette Minora - Pretty high on the list in the "C" group.

Gillette Silver Blue and Platinum - Nearly in the "D" group. Rough shave. Not impressed given the price and reputation.

Gillette (Others) - Range from meh to no thank you.

Kai- Much better than Feather. They are consistent from shave to shave and have a lot of good shaves per blade. I could see how a person could really like these. I find I have to be more careful than I want to, to avoid cuts. They are also expensive and hard-ish to source.

Muhle - Not a good shave. Could maybe be bumped into the "D" group. I do not like them.

Parker - Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Close, clean, comfortable shave.

Personna Lab Blue- This is the blade I wanted to like because they are made in America. It is not about patriotism. Rather the carbon footprint of international shipping.
I have used more of these than any of my not group "A" and "B" blades.
I find them very tuggy. I feel they are fairly dull. I have to work so hard at getting a good shave that I am hard on my skin. And still, the results are not that good.

Personna Med Prep- These are pretty good. They are nearly group "B." They are also expensive and hard-ish to source.

Personna (others)- I like the Platinum(s) and Viking Sword marginally better than Lab Blue. I cannot tell the difference between Israeli (Red) and German Platinum.
I find the parent companies of Personna to be willfully difficult to communicate with regarding their products.

RK Stainless- This is one of the few exceptions to my no clean up pass rule. I do a 4th pass on just my throat with these, with no irritation. They are pretty tuggy on the first pass. Unlike most other tuggy blades the finished result is just fine.
After trying a bunch of blades I now feel Henson made a good choice issuing these with their razors. (No, I do not believe they are in any way tailored to the Henson, other than branding.) It is not a close shave. As a matter of fact they leave me with the equivalent of a few hours stubble. However, it is a comfortable, irritation free shave. You would have to be pretty careless to have a bad outcome with the Henson and RK Stainless combination. I think that is a great way to start people on their DE journey. So, yes these are oddly high on my list, but never let perfect get in the way of comfortable.

Shark Platinum - Great! A little hard to get the neck real close in three passes.

Shark Super Stainless - Ok, not "super."

Strangelete- I know I have made a bunch of dramatic claims about "good this" and "bad that," but these are truly a crime against the face! Really and truly just awful at a fairly premium price.

Treet Trig Silver Edge - Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Close, clean, comfortable shave.

Voskhod - Fairly OK. Also fairly inconsistent between just 2 blades.

Wilkinson Sword - Very nice indeed. I see why people like these.

Wizamet- While definitely in the "A" group. These are probably at the lower end of the group. Not quite as sharp and smooth as the rest. Still very much an excellent shave.
These are good for at least 7 days of consistently really good shaves. Maybe more?
These are my go to daily blade. One blade for 7 days of great shaves keeps life simple.

Zorrik Super Platinum - Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Close, clean, comfortable shave.

I guess that is it. I hope it was not too tedious?
2 each of 36 blade × 3 times each =216 days of shaving. A lot of those were NOT good shaves. Most were passable. Some were great.
I am so done testing blades!

I may wind up having 1 or 2 PIF sample packs of these available soon?

Here is an alphabetical list:

Derby - Extra
Derby - Premium
Dorco - Prime Platinum
Dorco - Titan
Feather - Hi Stainless
Gillette - 365
Gillette - 7 O'Clock (Yellow) Sharp Edge
Gillette - Minora
Gillette - Nacet
Gillette - Perma-Sharp
Gillette - Platinum
Gillette - Rubie
Gillette - Silver Blue
Gillette - Sputnik
Kai - Stainless Steel
Muhle
Personna - Lab Blue
Personna - Platinum (Isreal)
Personna - Med Prep
RK Stainless
Shark - Platinum
Shark - Super Stainless
Strangelete - Platinum
Treet - Trig Silver Edge
Voskhod - Teflon
Wilkonson Sword (Germany)
Wizamet - Iridium Super
Zorrik - Super Platinum

You and I are very similar. The only changes for me would be:

-All of the 7 o'clocks and the Permasharp would be in the B group. But other than that, we are very similar.

(I didn't care for any variation of Astras, and I didn't like the GSB either. Weird how they get so much love, but they don't work for me.)

Thanks for this! Very interesting. I similarly stumbled into some Dorcos (the 300, I believe), and now I'm interested in trying other brands they make.

Thanks for sharing your results. What did you think of Nacet? While not my favorite, they’re certainly efficient. And sign me up for that PIF!

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I know this review will not be of the caliber you are all used to. But, I have put many, many months into testing and now a lot of thought into writing this.

ME:

I will start this off by saying, I know it is not the "right" way, but I shave before I shower. I always have. I have my reasons. I am not changing.
I am 48, I shave 7 days a week, no exceptions. My beard is very thick and coarse, but not to any crazy degree. I would say my skin sensitivity is average. Since I shave everyday sensitivity issues can build up if I do not get consistently good shaves.
I shave with cold water.
I am a 3 pass guy.

TECHNIQUE:

I vigorously rub cold tap water on my face for about a minute. That is my pre-shave.
I face lather.
Second pass is top to bottom at something like a 45° angle from the outside to the inside, face and neck. (Starting by ears, then going down towards my throat.)
Third pass is bottom to top at something like a 45° angle from the outside to the inside. (Starting under the ears on my neck, then going up towards my mouth.)

HARDWARE and SOFTWARE:

PARAMETERS:

I like a smooth shave.
I define a smooth shave as having my whiskers cut clean and even. I hate it when I am left with patchy stubble that is torn as much as it is cut. I find this more irritating than razor burn. A smooth shave does not have to be BBS. It is nice to have a close shave, though. Just not at the expense of comfort.
After all, even with a BBS shave I am still all stubbly and casting a shadow after a few hours. I am still going to need to shave again tomorrow morning.
I do not care for "tuggy" blades. They usually seem to make for an uneven shave. I like sharp and smooth. I could give a hoot about blade feel.

My ranking is based on the first 3 shaves from each individual blade. I do not take price, availability, or popularity into account. It is purely based on results... with my face... and my razor.

I used 1 of each blade, organized alphabetically, with at least 3 shaves on each blade. When I reached the end I did it all again with a new blade, for confirmation and perspective.
So, a minimum of 6 shaves, on 2 different blades of each variety. Some good blades were pushed for another day or two just to see what they do. Every so often either to give my face a break or recalibrate my expectations, I would revert to a known good blade for a few days.

If I can get 3 good shaves from a blade, it is good enough. Anything extra is a bonus.

GROUPS:

A = Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Clean, close and irritation free shave. Consistently excellent from first shave to last.

B = Great! I could happily use any of these every day. Solid performers, just not quite in the "A" group.

F = Hot garbage.

RANKING:

A
Dorco - Titan
Treet - Trig Silver Edge
Wizamet - Iridium Super
Zorrik - Super Platinum

B
Derby - Premium
Dorco - Prime Platinum
RK Stainless
Shark - Platinum
Wilkonson Sword (German)

C
Gillette - Minora
Gillette - Platinum
Gillette - Silver Blue
Kai - Stainless Steel
Personna - Med Prep
Voskhod - Teflon

D
Gillette - 365
Gillette - Nacet
Gillette - Perma-Sharp
Gillette - Sputnik
Petsonna - Lab Blue
Shark - Super Stainless

F
Derby - Extra
Feather - Hi Stainless
Muhle
Strangelete - Platinum

NOTES:

Astra SP - Meh. They clearly work for a lot of people. I was not impressed. Not the smoothest or cleanest shave.

Bolzano- Had a hard time deciding if these are "B" or "C" group? I guess "C." They could easily be "B." Pretty good though.

Derby Extra- WHY are these so recommended to new shavers? They are neither sharp nor smooth. What a terrible blade. Patchy uneven stubble, lots of tugging, whiskers are not cut so much as torn, irritation, and razor burn. Awful. Maybe, possibly well suited to a very thin beard with fine hair? Even then, you can do better.

Derby Premium- How are these made by the same people that make the Extra? The Premiums are great. Hard time getting the neck close with three passes.

Dorco Prime- My first go around was great. I thought solid "A" group. On the second blade, not so good. Lots of nicks. Very much a "C." So I split the difference and called them a "B." Consistency issues? Shame, that first blade was really good. These are probably worth further exploration. Not from me though, I am done blade testing.

Dorco Titan- I did not mean to order these. I only meant to get the Prime from Dorco. I am glad I did.
As discussed below with the RK Stainless, these are the other exception to my no 4th pass rule. I (often) do a 4th pass on just my throat with these.
Like the RK Stainless these are very much irritation free. Only these are sharp and cut clean and smooth (no tugging). They leave me with a very close shave. I quite like them. I do prefer a 3 pass shave, though.
If I had to shave and put on a tie immediately after, Titan would be a good choice.

Feather- I do not understand the popularity of these. The first shave is awful. Shaves 2 and 3 are pretty good. By shave 4 the performance drops off noticeably. What is the point? I know you can "cork" them or " reverse strop" them, but why?

Gillette 7 O'Clock (Green) Permasharp - The only "Gillette" branded razors I really like. Good and sharp, easy to cut a little too close, take care.

Gillette Silver Blue and Platinum - Nearly in the "D" group. Rough shave. Not impressed given the price and reputation.

Kai- Much better than Feather. They are consistent from shave to shave and have a lot of good shaves per blade. I could see how a person could really like these. I find I have to be more careful than I want to, to avoid cuts. They are also expensive and hard-ish to source.

Muhle - Not a good shave. Could maybe be bumped into the "D" group. I do not like them.

Personna Lab Blue- This is the blade I wanted to like because they are made in America. It is not about patriotism. Rather the carbon footprint of international shipping.
I find them very tuggy. I feel they are fairly dull. I have to work so hard at getting a good shave that I am hard on my skin. And still, the results are not that good.

Personna Med Prep- These are pretty good. They are nearly group "B." They are also expensive and hard-ish to source.

Personna (others)- I like the Platinum(s) and Viking Sword marginally better than Lab Blue. I cannot tell the difference between Israeli (Red) and German Platinum.
I find the parent companies of Personna to be willfully difficult to communicate with regarding their products.

RK Stainless- This is one of the few exceptions to my no clean up pass rule. I do a 4th pass on just my throat with these, with no irritation. They are pretty tuggy on the first pass. Unlike most other tuggy blades the finished result is just fine.
After trying a bunch of blades I now feel Henson made a good choice issuing these with their razors. (No, I do not believe they are in any way tailored to the Henson, other than branding.) It is not a close shave. As a matter of fact they leave me with the equivalent of a few hours stubble. However, it is a comfortable, irritation free shave. You would have to be pretty careless to have a bad outcome with the Henson and RK Stainless combination. I think that is a great way to start people on their DE journey. So, yes these are oddly high on my list, but never let perfect get in the way of comfortable.

Shark Platinum - Great! A little hard to get the neck real close in three passes.

Strangelete- I know I have made a bunch of dramatic claims about "good this" and "bad that," but these are truly a crime against the face! Really and truly just awful at a fairly premium price.

Treet Trig Silver Edge - Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Close, clean, comfortable shave.

Wizamet- While definitely in the "A" group. These are probably at the lower end of the group. Not quite as sharp and smooth as the rest. Still very much an excellent shave.
These are good for at least 7 days of consistently really good shaves. Maybe more?
These are my go to daily blade. One blade for 7 days of great shaves keeps life simple.

Zorrik Super Platinum - Brilliant! Sharp and smooth. Close, clean, comfortable shave.

2 each of 36 blade × 3 times each =216 days of shaving. A lot of those were NOT good shaves. Most were passable. Some were great.
Tedious? Maybe to author. Not for me. That was a great evaluation and I appreciate the time you spent sharing your experience with these blades.

I seem to like Gillettes more than you OP, but Parker and Treets are very underrated by most folks on B&B IMO.
I think if I shaved after my shower, I would have graded a lot of blades a little higher. Plus, if I shaved maybe every other day I might like a lot of them better.
Shaving every day means even just a little daily irritation just continues to compound into something significant.

Thus, I feel I grade pretty harshly.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Very interesting. I similarly stumbled into some Dorcos (the 300, I believe), and now I'm interested in trying other brands they make.
I do not know their number system. I really do think the Prime variant is worthy of further trials. Just not by me. The Titan is quite smooth.

While I am not real fond of my "D" group, I do not hate them.

It is really only the "F" group that I dislike.
You and I are very similar. The only changes for me would be:

-All of the 7 o'clocks and the Permasharp would be in the B group. But other than that, we are very similar.

(I didn't care for any variation of Astras, and I didn't like the GSB either. Weird how they get so much love, but they don't work for me.)

Thanks for putting your efforts out there for all to see. I agree with some of your findings and not so much with others. I learned long ago that everyone interprets blade feel differently. Myself, I have found that the longer I have been shaving, some blades that used to bother me a lot, now don't bother me so much. Nacet blades for instance, were never a favorite and used to leave me with some razor burn. Now they feel fairly smooth but still wicked sharp. If I skip shaving for a day, I can really tell my very sharp blades from the medium sharp by the amount of tugging I experience. Nacet blades are now my favorite blades when I have skipped a day of shaving. When I shave daily my medium sharp blades can be great though. As to Derby Extra, I found the blades in the green tucks to be awful but the Derby Extra in the blue tucks to be fairly good, but not in my sharpest blade catagory.

ME:

I shave with cold water.
I am a 3 pass guy.

TECHNIQUE:

I face lather.

HARDWARE and SOFTWARE:

PARAMETERS:

I like a smooth shave.

GROUPS:

F = Hot garbage.

RANKING:

A
Dorco - Titan
Treet - Trig Silver Edge
Wizamet - Iridium Super
Zorrik - Super Platinum

B
Derby - Premium
Dorco - Prime Platinum
RK Stainless
Shark - Platinum
Wilkonson Sword (German)

C
Gillette - Minora
Gillette - Platinum
Gillette - Silver Blue
Kai - Stainless Steel
Personna - Med Prep
Voskhod - Teflon

D
Gillette - 365
Gillette - Nacet
Gillette - Perma-Sharp
Gillette - Sputnik
Petsonna - Lab Blue
Shark - Super Stainless

F
Derby - Extra
Feather - Hi Stainless
Muhle
Strangelete - Platinum

NOTES:

Thank you for this. The research and details are outstanding. You are making me want to try the Dorco Titan, which I read good things about elsewhere.

I wonder how your opinions may change when using other razors? I’m asking because I test drove the AL13++ for the first time this morning. It didn’t go well. The blade that normally works for me behaved worse than a broken piece of glass would. I think most preferences and rules go out the window when using a Henson.

Your list is very interesting. I don't have the Henson razor. The razors I have used most often is the Merkur 34 and the Gillette butterfly razors (SuperSpeeds and Slim).

The Shark that you have listed in group B is practically unusable for me. It tugs to the point of pain. The German Wilkinson sword is also too dull, unless it is Styrofoam stropped. Once stropped, it is one of my favorite blades. The Kai, which many people love, turned out to be unspectacular for me and the European version of the Gillette Platinum is by far the smoothest blade I have ever tried. With regard to the Feather my experience is completely aligned with yours, unless I am using a Feather razor; in that case it is excellent. The Personna Lab Blue would fall at the top of my group C, but my friend who has been using the PolSilvers was blown away by their Lab Blue's smoothness.

In short, there are so many variables that it is difficult to judge blades based on other people's experience. The one constant is that very few people dislike the PolSilver SI and Wizamet SI. For me the only blades that are better are the Gillette Rubie and the Gillette Platinum, which in your experience they are unspectacular.

The beauty of DE shaving is that you can tune the choice of blade and razor until you find the perfect combination. IMO, unless you are willing to put work into optimizing your equipment, disposable razors will work better for the average person than a randomly selected DE razor and DE blade combination. You have obviously done your homework :)

Thanks for putting your efforts out there for all to see. I agree with some of your findings and not so much with others. I learned long ago that everyone interprets blade feel differently. Myself, I have found that the longer I have been shaving, some blades that used to bother me a lot, now don't bother me so much. Nacet blades for instance, were never a favorite and used to leave me with some razor burn. Now they feel fairly smooth but still wicked sharp. If I skip shaving for a day, I can really tell my very sharp blades from the medium sharp by the amount of tugging I experience. Nacet blades are now my favorite blades when I have skipped a day of shaving. When I shave daily my medium sharp blades can be great though. As to Derby Extra, I found the blades in the green tucks to be awful but the Derby Extra in the blue tucks to be fairly good, but not in my sharpest blade catagory.
You have some good points. Looking at my list, I seem to dislike the blades with a reputation for being at the high end of sharpness. I guess I prefer pretty sharp blades over REALLY sharp blades.
I did like the Perma-Sharp better than the Nacet.
I have used 7(?) Derby Extra. They were all green tuck.

Thank you for this. The research and details are outstanding. You are making me want to try the Dorco Titan, which I read good things about elsewhere.

I wonder how your opinions may change when using other razors? I’m asking because I test drove the AL13++ for the first time this morning. It didn’t go well. The blade that normally works for me behaved worse than a broken piece of glass would. I think most preferences and rules go out the window when using a Henson.
THIS! I think this one of the biggest factors in my choices in blades. You would think a really sharp blade in such a mild razor would balance out. Maybe not.
Obviously a very dull (relatively speaking) or roughly ground blade just sucks.

You have some good points. Looking at my list, I seem to dislike the blades with a reputation for being at the high end of sharpness. I guess I prefer pretty sharp blades over REALLY sharp blades.
I did like the Perma-Sharp better than the Nacet.
I have used 7(?) Derby Extra. They were all green tuck.
A while back I used a 200x USB microscope to examine the blade edges of various blades. I made a whole series of post comparing many blades, they all begin with the title "The Eye Test". Many blades felt rough and I could actually see the that edges weren't smooth. In this example I compared the Nacet to the Derby extra (green tuck).
The Eye Test Derby vs Nacet
The Nacet edge looks a little jagged. The Derby Extra looks like it feels when you shave with it. Awful.

Here is a photo of the Derby Extra Green tuck
M New 200X.jpg

Derby Extra Blue Tuck

Derby Extra Blue Tuck 200x.jpg

I see and feel a big difference.

A while back I used a 200x USB microscope to examine the blade edges of various blades. I made a whole series of post comparing many blades, they all begin with the title "The Eye Test". Many blades felt rough and I could actually see the that edges weren't smooth. In this example I compared the Nacet to the Derby extra (green tuck).
The Nacet edge looks a little jagged. The Derby Extra looks like it feels when you shave with it. Awful.

View attachment 1633210

Derby Extra Blue Tuck

View attachment 1633211

Big fan of the eye test posts, if you’re ever inclined to make more I’d love to see them.

Your list is very interesting. I don't have the Henson razor. The razors I have used most often is the Merkur 34 and the Gillette butterfly razors (SuperSpeeds and Slim).

The Shark that you have listed in group B is practically unusable for me. It tugs to the point of pain. The German Wilkinson sword is also too dull, unless it is Styrofoam stropped. Once stropped, it is one of my favorite blades. The Kai, which many people love, turned out to be unspectacular for me and the European version of the Gillette Platinum is by far the smoothest blade I have ever tried. With regard to the Feather my experience is completely aligned with yours, unless I am using a Feather razor; in that case it is excellent. The Personna Lab Blue would fall at the top of my group C, but my friend who has been using the PolSilvers was blown away by their Lab Blue's smoothness.

In short, there are so many variables that it is difficult to judge blades based on other people's experience. The one constant is that very few people dislike the PolSilver SI and Wizamet SI. For me the only blades that are better are the Gillette Rubie and the Gillette Platinum, which in your experience they are unspectacular.

The beauty of DE shaving is that you can tune the choice of blade and razor until you find the perfect combination. IMO, unless you are willing to put work into optimizing your equipment, disposable razors will work better for the average person than a randomly selected DE razor and DE blade combination. You have obviously done your homework :)
A few in group "B" are a you describe the Shark. They start tuggy for me, but finish pretty decent, unlike most tuggy blades. Ultimately it is the comfort level post shave that dictates my opinion. I can endure moderately tuggy blades if the end result is good. With the exception of the Wizamet, all of group "A" feels very smooth through my stubble.
Wizamet would be a high "B" of not for its longevity and consistency.

I liked the Gillette Platinum much better than the GSB. I was surprised how much I disliked the GSB.

I mentioned in my last post that really sharp blades and Henson do not seem to get along for me. Kai is a little different. The blade may extend out slightly more. I think that " balance" may be there? I just do not want to work to find out when there is other low hanging fruit out there.

I like the tunable nature of all this.
On the first time going through all the blades I found it fascinating. Then on the second trip through... I found myself dreading some of the stinkers. It was worth it. I found new appreciation for some and changed my mind on others.

I am debating getting my (adult) son started on this with my old V.1 AL13 and one of my sampler packs. But, he is a lazy stoner and shaves every few weeks. I am afraid he will not put the work into finding his setup.
In the meantime I got him a Guard and some cartridges.
That is a dandy razor! I like my DE setup better, but if I had known about the Guard before...

Last edited:

View attachment 1633210

Derby Extra Blue Tuck

View attachment 1633211

I believe I read through that. So much info to take in. It is hard to find and reference it later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom