What's new

Getting tired of unreliable supplies and branding.

7OC Super Platinum (India) in the black/gray box are very good blades IMHO. Just as good as the best Russian made Gillette I've ever used. They are not the cheapest blade though. A box of 100 will cost around $30, give or take.

I really wanted to like the various German blades I've tried but didn't love them. Neither as sharp or smooth as better DE blades I've tried.

So for me it's Czech, Japanese, and Indian blades now.

FWIW if you've been in this hobby long enough you'd know that everything is in flux all the time. It's just part of how things go. Went to get a jar of one of my favorite shaving creams last month and realized it's not being made anymore. No problem, sad to see it go, but will just have to move onto other stuff. Frankly I've lost track of discontinued products and vendors that closed up shop over the years.

All a part of the game.

LOL. The original poster asks about "first-world" blades.

And you guys are recommending him blades from India, Egypt and Pakistan.

They mentioned confusion around Indian Gillette blades. Like or not, Gillette is moving more production there and has already been making blades there for decades now. It should be fair game for discussion.

No comment on blades from Pakistan and Egypt.

LOL. The original poster asks about "first-world" blades.

And you guys are recommending him blades from India, Egypt and Pakistan.
I don't mind India blades as long as they're stable.
The Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks are good. But, $30 in the West! But, only $12-15 in India.
I have a friend who could get them for me.

There's been many good suggestions. There are only a few first-world brands anymore because most DE users are living elsewhere.

Personna "Lab Blue" or "Med Prep" (USA)

Personna Platinum (Germany)

Wilkinson Sword (Germany)

Some other blades to consider:

BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece; buy from a trusted source such as Razor Blades Club to avoid awful fakes)

Dorco Prime (Vietnam made by Korean company; good quality & cheap; just try to ignore the weird name)

Gillette 7 O'clock Black (India)

Gillette 7 O'clock Green (India)

Lord Silver Star (Egypt)

Treet 7 Days (Pakistan)

Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India; mild, pretty cheap)

Gillette London Bridge (China; good, should be pretty inexpensive)

But we are back at the usual YMMV aren't we.
I can add the Turkish blades for example, some hate them, I love them... Derbys, Concord, Bluebird.

One thing I don't understand, is why companies in this business are not more forthcoming with information. It's as if PR hadn't been invented.
All of a sudden tallow is just gone, last bottle of your fav aftershave gone, and we are left with rumors, and hear say from hobbyist who contact manufacturers. I find that rather extraordinary.

I think Super-Max has closed up shop, BTW. Still lots of inventory out there at the moment at least.

Do you have any sources on that? I'm not challenging you, I'm just interested in learning more because Supermax is one of my favorite blades (there are others I like as well but it might be my favorite).

When I search for news articles, I see something about a plant closing about a year ago but then I see more recent news articles that mention Supermax as if they're still operating just fine.

The 7OC Blacks have been on the market at least since I got into wet-shaving in 2010. My main beef with them is they have gotten ridiculous in price lately. That said they are some of my favorite blades.

Yes, it's strange. Aside from the relatively large markup outside India, consider the price even within India - the tin salon box of 100 blades has a manufacter's recommended retail price of 1100 Rupees ($13.21 USD) printed on it, which seems quite high for the Indian market.

The 7OC Blacks have been on the market at least since I got into wet-shaving in 2010. My main beef with them is they have gotten ridiculous in price lately. That said they are some of my favorite blades.

They're approaching $30?!

I don't get it.

I get that they are more expensive than they used to be, but even at one blade a day, it's still way cheaper than a cup of coffee, pack of cigarettes, case of beer, etc....

Do you have any sources on that? I'm not challenging you, I'm just interested in learning more because Supermax is one of my favorite blades (there are others I like as well but it might be my favorite).

When I search for news articles, I see something about a plant closing about a year ago but then I see more recent news articles that mention Supermax as if they're still operating just fine.
My main sources are threads here, and reports from an Indian Wetshavers Reddit I’m a member of. They report you can’t find any Super Max products in India now.

Top Bottom