What's new

So, I tried a couple - few blades...

Regarding specific blades, I feel vindicated that someone else finds the Parker Premium blades to be excellent. They are reasonably priced, come in understated packaging, and don't have a catchy name, but they are a good shave. I just got 100.
YES! Parkers are great!

Interesting to see how we have similar opinions on some blades and contradictory opinions of others!

My ’top tier’ for what it worth in no particular order:
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)
Personna red (Israeli)
Personna lab (or med prep)

The main thing is to ENJOY the journey!

Interesting to see how we have similar opinions on some blades and contradictory opinions of others!

My ’top tier’ for what it worth in no particular order:
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)
Personna red (Israeli)
Personna lab (or med prep)

The main thing is to ENJOY the journey!
Have you tried the German version of the Israeli (Red) Platinum? I am curious how others compare the two.

Dorco Titans are excellent blades that deserve more appreciation. QC issues have been solved by relocating to Vietnam.

Excellent review and descriptions! Very helpful and to an extent I agree with your assessments. I like your scoring system as well! Might copy that for my own assessments!

Cheers,

Guido

Guido75

Hey thanks.
I was rather disappointed with my system. I am usually more systematic with things in general. I should have established a grading criteria. From there I should have written down with each shave from each blade what it's qualities were within that criteria, with notes on impressions. This would have been more easily and accurately quantifiable.
Instead, I just shaved 3 times and put the wrapper in one of FOUR baggies.

(Initially I had 4 categories:
1=Great
2=Good
3=Not as good
4=Junk
... but, category 1 was too complex with all being great and some "greater" than others.)
So, "B" and "A" are really "1" and "1+."

Anyway, since I did not log as I went. I now just have impressions and recollections. Not as useful for others, but still ends up at the same place, I guess.

We have been raising our 2 year old grandson for almost 2 years. Add on I get up for work (and shave) at 3 or 4 in the morning and only get MAYBE 5 hours of sleep a night. I am just too tired to be meticulous.
I kept this schedule for most of my adult life. Once we got our kids raised I really needed to slow down and quite burning the candle at both ends. Now we are doing it again. I am too old for this.

Golden Green
steria9

I have noted your PIF interest. I am waiting to see if a few of my friends are interested in trying out DE shaving. From there if they want to go down the samples rabbit hole.
That is why I said "may have" some PIF available.
However, you guys are at the top of the list. I will let you know when I know.

RK and Derby above GSB and kai?? That's the opposite of my experience, and many people for sure.
As covered earlier:

The RK (in the Henson) while not as close as I prefer, gives a passably (sp?) close, but COMFORTABLE shave easily. It is a great starter blade (for the Henson) and for some people maybe as good as they need. You would almost have to try to mess up your shave. I will always put comfort before perfection.

The "Derby" in question is the Premium, not the Extra (green tuck).
It is tuggy on the first pass, but by the time it is done the results are good.

The Kai is actually pretty good, even in the Henson. It just takes more caution than I want to give everyday, at 0300 in the morning, while chronically sleep deprived. I suspect it is a great choice for Henson users that want a blade that you might be afraid to let your guard down with.
It is a sports car. I am an old pickup truck kind of guy. I can get equally good shaves without the effort elsewhere.
While cost and especially availability did not factor into my ranking. These are a bit precious for me as a daily blade when I can get the same longevity from Wizamet for less (without the extra effort).
Still, the Kai is pretty interesting.

I was surprised how little I cared for the GSB. A lot of people seem to like it, not all though. None of them are wrong.
Again, while price did not effect ranking. Gillette is pretty proud of these.

Edited to add:

I discuss price periodically. It is all relative. I do not lose sight of the fact that even "expensive" DE blades are cheap compared to conventional cartridge shaving.

I forgot to cover this in my initial post, but my hands are in bad shape.
In December I got bilateral carpal tunnel release surgery. While my hands do not go numb anymore, I literally needed this done 20 years ago (Who can take that kind of time off?). I have lost a lot of strength and dexterity over the years that I will probably never get back.
I also have bad arthritis in my hands. Especially my thumbs.
That is a huge factor in why I like an easy, no drama blade.

Last edited:
Dorco Titans are excellent blades that deserve more appreciation. QC issues have been solved by relocating to Vietnam.

Excellent review and descriptions! Very helpful and to an extent I agree with your assessments. I like your scoring system as well! Might copy that for my own assessments!

Cheers,

Guido
I have really enjoyed the Dorco 300s, but the quality control issues weren’t entirely solved. I got one that was much wider on one side, giving some blade-exposure adventures.

I must admit. Other than the 300 vs 301 packaging thing, and of course, names (Titan and Prime). I have no idea how Dorco item codes work. ST, STP, HQ, etc...?
Well that makes two of us then! I think the ST300HQ is just the product number for the 300s and HQ is supposedly High Quality. But then again the wrapper says Platinum coated, the blade itself doesn’t mention that at all. The 301 is different packaging (and not listed in the most recent catalogue). STP are the Primes and STL the Titans (again according to their catalogue).

Guido

Thank you for this. The research and details are outstanding. You are making me want to try the Dorco Titan, which I read good things about elsewhere.

I wonder how your opinions may change when using other razors? I’m asking because I test drove the AL13++ for the first time this morning. It didn’t go well. The blade that normally works for me behaved worse than a broken piece of glass would. I think most preferences and rules go out the window when using a Henson.

I love a Feather in a Merkur 37c, but I'd rather shave with a rusty cheese grater than a Feather in a Muhle R41.

Top Bottom