What's new

So, I tried a couple - few blades...

But they add some fun
Tried one yesterday in a Frankenrazor with an R41 base plate and a Razorock SLOC cap. Lots of great blade feel but lots of weepers. My neck looked like I'd been shot several times at medium range with .22 bird shot. The first pass was fine. Getting down to BBS lost me a pint or so of blood. I felt like I should have had some orange juice and a cookie when I was done.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just reread the entire thread. Interesting content both by the OP and all the rest.

I don’t have a Henson and I would guess that would influence my opinions if I did. I almost never shave every day but if forced to do so, I’d use my Blutt BR-1 0.86….I choose the 1.20 over it every time unless I have to shave consecutive days. I can also use my Claymore Evolution for daily use as it’s mild enough for that.

All the rest of my razors, including the Blutt BR-1 1.20, give me a 12 hour shave. We share a love of the Wizamet blades which is interesting given you don’t care for my other favorites. That’s why this journey is so interesting. I had no idea there were so many variables when I showed up here on March 1st, 2022.

I’ve barely scratched the surface of the years of combined wisdom here.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Are you including me in this accusation of wisdom? You take that back!
Lol. I’m sure you’ve already learned a lot on your journey and you are taking the time to share what you’ve learned with us. B&B continues to assist us all along the way……I learn from people who joined today as well as from seasoned shaving masters. One or two people have even enjoyed my own wandering musings, to borrow from one of the shave masters here: @AimlessWanderer .

Last edited:
What if it’s better than everything else? :devil:
I would say based on my lack of appreciation for many peoples favorites. They would be wasted on me.

In all seriousness. This is not a hobby for me. I just need a good shave, 7 days a week. It was cheap enough to try a bunch of blades and find what I like. So I did. Now that I have, I am done exploring blades.

I wrote up my findings as a way of giving back to this forum, that I have learned so much from.

I have an unscented soap review coming in a couple months. I will stick with my top 2 favorites going forward.
That will be about it for this type of "big write up post" thing from me.
I will still read and post comments to offer what little experience I have.
I have tried being myself and injecting modestly irrelevant humor here and there. I was quickly put in my place for my "lack of humility" regarding the sacred nature of men's grooming and the life or death consequences involved.

As a general rule, I do not buy more stuff than I need. I have a razor I like. A travel brush and at home brush I like. I make my own aftershave.
I will be a disappointingly lackluster consumer of shaving goods after this.

Last edited:
I would say based on my lack of appreciation for many peoples favorites. They would be wasted on me.

In all seriousness. This is not a hobby for me. I just need a good shave, 7 days a week. It was cheap enough to try a bunch of blades and find what I like. So I did. Now that I have, I am done exploring blades.

I wrote up my findings as a way of giving back to this forum, that I have learned so much from.

I have a unscented soap review coming in a couple months. I will stick with my top 2 favorites going forward.
That will be about it for this type of "big write up post" thing from me.

As a general rule, I do not buy more stuff than I need. I have a razor I like. A travel brush and at home brush I like. I make my own aftershave.
I will be a disappointingly lackluster consumer of shaving goods after this.
Tried to be the devil but I failed. Your conviction is too strong! :D

I will rotate here and there. They are all great.
Initially Wizamet was my favorite.
Now, I prefer the Dorco Titan for day to day. Effortlessly easy, very smooth, very clean shave with no drama. In a Henson, at least.
Parker is a very close second. The difference being that it takes the slightest bit of respect. It is just plain sharper. Still pretty fool proof.

Glad this thread stayed active, nice job @hariph creek !!

Systematic or not, you have much more stamina at trying out blades than I managed. Thanks for your cogent summing up.

My personal insight on the topical blade is kind of like a famously bad joke (food here is lousy... and the portions are too small). Bic CP are uncomfortable and I don't get many shaves!

Just wondering if the blades were used in different razors, if that would have an affect on the grading you used.
I really think so. The Henson is good at what it is designed to do. It is also pretty particular in what works for it.
Also my technique. Shaving before shower is generally not considered optimal. I feel cold water shaving exaggerates that tuggy feel, as well.

I maybe should have gone with a grading system besides A,B,C,D,F?
A and B are both very good (for me). I just like a little better.
C is also pretty good. I could live with these if I had too.
D is not actually bad. They just don't work as well for me.
F... stinks.

Maybe I should have gone with:
A+
A
B
C
F

Last edited:
Top Bottom