What's new

4 Lord Platinum Blades Compared - Are They The Same?

I have recently been trying a lot of blades to see if there’s anything out there that I like more than my usual Feathers and Russian Gillette offerings, and to sample some of the cheaper end of the market which has always been a bit of a closed book to me (blade samplers weren’t a thing when I started).

As part of that I thought I would compare three four Lord manufactured blades that are all described as “Platinum”. I know a lot of folks already have the lowdown on these popular blades, but purely for my own interest I thought this would be fun to see:
  • How are these blades generally?
  • Do I think these are the same blades in different packaging, as people sometimes suggest?
The blades I am going to look at are:
  • Lord Platinum
  • Blue Sword Platinum
  • Shark Platinum
20230719_132516.jpg

I wanted some Platinum Class and ordered them from two suppliers, but both times received New Platinum instead, so I think we can say they are likely the same blade and the New Platinum name has replaced Platinum Class…which has possibly replaced the old Lord Platinum on the left? Anyway, I figured I might as well add these to my comparison.

20230913_174700.jpg

On to the shaves. Despite the Gamechanger in the photo below, I am basing my comments on results from a Fatip Grande. That is what I am using for OCtober, and I already know some of these blades work nicely with it from past experience. I have sensitive skin that gets irritated at the merest suggestion of tugging or forcing the shave, so I usually like a sharper blade and don’t get a long blade life out of anything – 2 or 3 shaves maximum. Folks with tougher skin who are experienced in pushing blades for many shaves will probably get more out of these than I could.

First up to bat: Lord Platinum

20230721_140958.jpg

Smooth and just about sharp enough. I am a fan of this blade.

Comfortable on the opening WTG pass. I always worry that it won’t be sharp enough for my XTG / ATG second pass, especially on the neck and sideburns, and although it struggles a little a cautious approach will get the job done. It’s pretty much a one-and-done blade for me and won’t stay sharp enough to make it to the end of a second shave unless I skip most of the XTG / ATG work and settle for comfort rather than closeness. My stubborn streak has me continuing to try and get a decent second shave from one of these, but by the time the WTG pass is done the blade is starting to become rough and needs quite a bit of force behind it to cut hair, so the risk of irritation is high – when I push for that second shave, I usually regret it!

Still, a solid blade if something on the mild side is your preference and longevity isn’t a problem. When fresh, an excellent pairing with a Fatip OC razor and provides a close, irritation-free shave. Based on EM images of the edges of Lord blades, you wouldn’t expect them to be smooth out of the tuck, but that’s certainly my experience with this one. I rated these 2/5 for sharpness, which is just about as mild as I want to go, but an excellent 4.5/5 for smoothness.

Next Up: Blue Sword Platinum

20231001_140929.jpg

A very similar story to the Lord Platinum, with a comfortable first shave, but not sharp enough to make it through the XTG / ATG passes of a second shave. Sometimes I think the Lord is a hair sharper, and sometimes I think this one is. As you can see, they look practically identical, and common sense says they are the same blade, just as the “Blue Sword Extra” blades that are also offered under this brand must surely be the same blade as Lord Extra. Still, I can’t help forming the notion that they aren’t quite identical in terms of how they feel.

It’s probably my imagination and if I was a gambling man, I would bet on these being the same blade, perhaps with a bit of variation in sharpness from blade to blade which is just enough to get me second guessing! Accordingly, I rate these the same as the Lords.

Numero Tres: The dreaded Shark Platinum

Arrrgh! I hate these blades. Not sharp enough. I didn't unwrap a fresh one to photograph because I had no intention of using it. I have previously attempted to shave with these twice and had to abandon the shave almost immediately on both occasions. Definitely NOT the same blade as the two above. I cannot recommend these. I can’t imagine them being comfortable for anyone except those with the very lightest growth. They pull hair out instead of cutting it. Definitely not the same as either of the previous two blades. They get 0/5 for sharpness and a void for smoothness, since they were unusable. These blades make Derbys look like Feathers.

…And Finally: Lord New Platinum

No need for photos - these blades look identical to the old Lord Platinum and come in identical paper wraps. I am pretty sure there is nothing “new” about this blade other than the outer packing, or maybe they also replaced some old tooling and decided to repackage the blades at the same time. Performance for me is pretty much identical to the Lord Platinum already discussed, and I think it’s a good place to start with Lord offerings. It’s not quite up there with Silver Stars in terms of sharpness but for me it beats all the Shark brand blades, and the plain Lord stainless steel offerings, which I have also sampled.

In conclusion, I think that the two Lord and the Blue Sword blades here are the same blade, with only the Sharks being different (and markedly worse by my lights). There are several other Lord brands that include a “platinum” blade (Big Ben, Asco, Crown). If anyone has tried them, or any other Lord blades come to that, please add your thoughts below.

Overall, these Lord blades are at the milder end of the scale, but they are still capable of at least one very pleasant shave and definitely a good option for anyone looking to tame an aggressive razor. I like 'em.

I get 3 excellent shaves from these and they could go farther, but at less than 3 cents a shave, why bother.

I think if my skin was more tolerant I could push blades for longer, but going grey over the past 5 years or so seems to have had a big impact on blade life for me and I have had to adjust my expectations to avoid irritation.

Still, these are a cheap blade, so I don't sweat it. I only get a couple of shaves from a Feather and they cost twice as much as these, so it all evens out in the end.

Many of the Lord blades are so similar that they are practically the same thing. The Silver Stars seem to be on a higher plane, maybe the Racers are close to the SS. There's also the Cools, but I can't remember how they compare with the others.

+1! For me, Silver Stars are the pick of the Lord litter! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I am also one who enjoys Sharks (two of their three options). As for the other Lords, my old brain gets confused!

Many of the Lord blades are so similar that they are practically the same thing. The Silver Stars seem to be on a higher plane, maybe the Racers are close to the SS. There's also the Cools, but I can't remember how they compare with the others.
I the SS’s are the best Lord blade, with the Racer Super Class Platinum second (if you can find them).

I should revisit this and say after being so damning about Shark Platinums, I stuck one in a Tech the other day and got a great shave.

I can't explain it. It doesn't make sense.

I wonder if the the first ones I tried were a product of the patchy Lord quality control I have heard about. It's the only thing I can think of that explains the huge difference in performance, other than the humble Tech being a miracle razor!

Lord blades are generally excellent IMO.

Silver Stars are my favourite, but I also really like Lord Super Chromes, Crown Super Stainless, Lord Platinum Class, Big Ben and Asco.

Also good but not top tier for me are Shark SS, Cool, Racer, Rainbow.

Shark Platinums are awful but the rest of the Lord blades I have tried are good and I have lots in my lineup.

Excellent post!
I'm a fan of Lord blades. I'm a big fan of Shark Super Stainless and Lord Platinum blades and have more to try.
I'm a "Three And Out" shaver. I've tried extending blades past 4 or more shaves but invariably I get irritation from them so for mere cents per shave, why bother?
I think Lord razor blades are an excellent value for the money. People who haven't tried them don't know what they're missing.

Shark Platinums are awful

That seems to be a common opinion.

I am still utterly bamboozled that a blade that had been literally unusable for me in the reasonably aggressive razors I prefer could be so transformed by sticking it in a mild Tech. I know and have previously experienced the phenomenon that some blades do some better in certain razors, but this was extreme. I can't explain it.

I would be interested if other haters of the Shark Platinum would try one in a Tech (assuming they have one...don't we all?) and see what happens...or maybe that was one freakishly good blade and the next one out of the tuck will be terrible again. I have another tuck on order just to try and get to the bottom of it!

Good Lord....
Guess it just a personal face and razor thing...

Now quite a while back, my dad gave me his " no go'ers".
About 60% where Egyptian / Lord made blades. Dad loves to try to save a buck. No clue where he got them.
My guess was the fleas market, that always raises a flag for me.

Once in a while, he goes on a bargain hunt. But will spend a ton of money in the process.
He enjoys it, so what can you do...

Oh, buy the way...
If you know of a dinner that has breakfast for under 5$, let me know. (lol)
I think he would spent the time and gas...just to go there...

Now these Lordies that he dropped on me, did not work for me also.
Colors, coating, sub brands, wow... LORD International Co - https://www.lordshave.net/distributors/Shaving/1
But luckily we have my brother, the shave recycle center, ate them up. His stubble is like thick wire.
A blade killer....

Now there are so many threads on blades.
Sometimes I wonder if having all these options are good.
Sure, you bet it is, we are damn lucky.

So if you have not found your keepers, or you are similar to my dad.
Just have fun, keep going until you find one or more that work for you ( and razor s).
Be methodical, have fun and good luck...
Or
As my dad would say, you are sharp as a marble.......

Cheers,
BFX

Now how about scented blade line up to go with a unscented soap?
KickStarter?

I am still utterly bamboozled that a blade that had been literally unusable for me in the reasonably aggressive razors I prefer could be so transformed by sticking it in a mild Tech

I guess that sort of thing happens. I had a similar experience with Derby Extras. Used to be my "hating" blade, but kept seeing posts by people who loved it, so gave it a second chance. Great blade..!
Derby's was my route to Lords. Someone figured that if I liked Derby Extras, I might like Lord Platinums too.
Sure thing..!! Those Lords are so smooth and nice, last me a couple of shaves.
Both Derbys and Lords work best for me in a not-too-aggressive razor, like the Merkur 34

I guess that sort of thing happens. I had a similar experience with Derby Extras. Used to be my "hating" blade, but kept seeing posts by people who loved it, so gave it a second chance. Great blade..!

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Derby had a tooling refresh a while back and current Derby's are sharper than the blades a lot of us might be familiar with. I probably ought to revisit them again myself.

In reading these posts, I'm looking forward to getting to the L's in my test. Lots of blades by Lord, and I'll pull the Silver Star forward from the S's to the L's in the process. I think, totaled, I have 15 blades by Lord to go through.

The Blue Sword is waiting for its turn. Some day I will try it. It is one of the newer Lord brands.

The white Lord Platinum and the Shark Platinum are different for sure. Not sure I have ever opened a blue Platinum pack, but I have at least 2.

I don't like the Lord blades, but there are definitely differences between them. I can shave with the Lord Platinum blades that come in the white packaging with blue stripes. They are not the smoothest blades, but they are sharp enough to cut through my beard. Shaving with the Sharks, on the other hand, is quite painful. They tug and pull and fall into the unusable category (along with Derby). I also tried the Rainbow blades. Those are usable, but not fantastic. The rest of the Lord blades that are tried are similar to the Sharks.

I don't like the Lord blades, but there are definitely differences between them. I can shave with the Lord Platinum blades that come in the white packaging with blue stripes. They are not the smoothest blades, but they are sharp enough to cut through my beard. Shaving with the Sharks, on the other hand, is quite painful. They tug and pull and fall into the unusable category (along with Derby). I also tried the Rainbow blades. Those are usable, but not fantastic. The rest of the Lord blades that are tried are similar to the Sharks.
Which Shark blades are you referring to? The Platinum and Stainless Steel Shark blades are completely different blades.

I personally hate the Shark Platinums but the Shark Stainless blades are pretty good. HUGE difference between the two IME.

Top Bottom