What's new

September is SABREtember! - Shavettes & Barber Razors (1st-30th Sept 23)

Today's shave:
Feather SR
Rockwell 1/2 blade (2)

Two pass head and face shave. Used a half-blade to allow very shallow and safe shave. Very loud.

DSCF5194.JPG

Does the Feather SS not allow you to get into tight places? I can see how a Dovo would be a problem with that large blade guard.

I can get a very nice, smooth face when shaving with my SS (or any of my shavettes), including under my nose and my chin, but not as close as my DE.

Specifically, I shave XTG under my nose and across the front of my chin, which results in a smooth face feel north to south, but if I touch up with my DE I can get a bit more going ATG (especially on my chin), and near BBS.

The shavette-only shave is very nice but my DE shaves are closer, probably due to technique or lack of effort on my part. I find DE shaves much easier and faster, with a closer result.

Maybe one day my SABER shaves will rival my DE shaves but I'm not quite there...yet.

Not really ! Quite moderate exposure compared to Weck Sextoblade
proxy.php

or real Str8
View attachment 1723857

Yesterdays shave was an experiment to prove that it is possible !
With flat angle and little care quite normal shave .
Do you not think that the greater blade exposure causes more flexing as you shave which lessens the efficiency of the shave? SR shavers often say that a WEDGE gives a better shave than a FULL HOLLOW where the thinness of the edge, causes flexing at the cutting edge. Smaller blade exposure in shavettes IMO hold the edge of the razor blade more rigidly as the clamping of the blade extend more to the edge. For this reason I like small blade exposure typically 0.5mm. I know there is a case for larger blade exposure in shavettes for use in hair detailing, but for general face shaving my coarse whickers for demand the edge of the razor blade is clamped as rigidly as possible. Vintage razor blade users often claim, because of the greater thickness of these razor blades there is less flexing resulting in a better shave

Do you not think that the greater blade exposure causes more flexing as you shave which lessens the efficiency of the shave? SR shavers often say that a WEDGE gives a better shave than a FULL HOLLOW where the thinness of the edge, causes flexing at the cutting edge. Smaller blade exposure in shavettes IMO hold the edge of the razor blade more rigidly as the clamping of the blade extend more to the edge. For this reason I like small blade exposure typically 0.5mm. I know there is a case for larger blade exposure in shavettes for use in hair detailing, but for general face shaving my coarse whickers for demand the edge of the razor blade is clamped as rigidly as possible. Vintage razor blade users often claim, because of the greater thickness of these razor blades there is less flexing resulting in a better shave
About flex and rigity I fully agree with you. DE balde was loud ! About efficiency - let's see. This was first experiment.
First impression was good! But my whiskers on cheeks are light-medium and easier to shave.

I shaved this morning with the Focus and a SuperMax Super Stainless. It might be my imagination, but the blade felt a bit less efficient than in the Parker PTB - the Focus feels like it wants and / or could handle a sharper blade. I have loaded half a Nacet for the next shave. Still, DFS and no dramas this morning.

After shaving I popped into town, where I found myself passing by Superdrug. This presented me with an opportunity to acquire some of this thread's favourite aftershave! Happily, Superdrug had a "2 for £5" on their own brand splashes, so I was able to acquire both "Forest Fresh" and "Sierran Breeze" without a serious blow to the wallet.

20230927_134152.jpg

I am currently sporting a test application of the "Sierran Breeze" and I can see why these are popular with you guys. This one is a kind of musky, fruity, aquatic thing that reminds me of a TOBS splash I had years ago (possibly "Eton College") and has a good dollop of moisturising ingredients like glycol and castor oil. I am sure "Forest Fresh" will be equally pleasing, which means two nice scents with good performance at fantastic prices. What's not to like?!

Wednesday 27th September

A very early start this morning and a long day of post-op checks for my wife. No light for a photo this evening but hopefully normal service will be resumed tomorrow!

Brush 22mm Tux Synthetic
Soap Nivea Sensitive Pro Liquid cream
Razor Vanta RA112 with a half Super Shave X Platinum
Post Superdrug Forest Fresh

A very good shave in 3 passes

On the other hand, some folks think that a hollow-ground straight razor yields a closer shave than a wedge. I really don't have a preference, wedge or hollow-ground (what a minute, yes I do, I prefer a full hollow generally speaking). Both can yield wonderful shaves. But they are integral in design, whereas with shavettes, we are dealing with more than one component.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Wednesday 27th September

A very early start this morning and a long day of post-op checks for my wife. No light for a photo this evening but hopefully normal service will be resumed tomorrow!

Brush 22mm Tux Synthetic
Soap Nivea Sensitive Pro Liquid cream
Razor Vanta RA112 with a half Super Shave X Platinum
Post Superdrug Forest Fresh

A very good shave in 3 passes
Hope your wife is healing well.

In the fullness of time...I shall find out. I have a Dovo insert on order. Genuine Tondeo inserts seem to be as difficult to find as rocking horse poo!
The update on this.
The Dovo Shavette has inserts which are interchangeable with Boker and the narrow Type 77.
The Narrow Type 77 inserts fit the Boker and the Dovo
The Tondeo Sifter requires a Tondeo insert . Both other types are too thick at one end and would require structural modification of the insert holder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom