What's new

first DE razor you used?

The first was Dad's, I do know it was a TTO and adjustable. I do believe that it was either a Slim or a Fatboy. I do remember that he had those two as well as a couple of injectors, one of which was a Techmatic. That would have been in probably the mid 80's, I looked like I lost the fight with Freddie Kruger. Upon re-discovering these, my first purchase was a black tip SS from B&B, although I do not remember from whom. And that was the beginning of my downfall! :wink:

My wife gave me a grey SS and a black SS that belonged to her ex. I had never seen DE razors before. After getting tired of the electric, I decided to try them for a change. I ordered 100 red ips off of ebay. I have been hooked ever since.

I have been using a Schick Injector off and on since College.

My first was a Merkur travel razor. I purchased it a few years ago on sale at a store that was going out of business. I had no clue what I was doing and soon gave up in frustation. I found B&B a couple of months ago and read as much as I could and watched all of Mantic's videos and now I have a new lease on life. Well, maybe not life, but definately shaving.

Merkur Vision rec'd as a gift. Had no idea what I was doing, so I put it down again till I found this site. Got an HD shortly after.

Black plastic DE razor from Boots the Chemist, here in the UK. Was the only DE type I could find, did an ok job. Gave up for a while as went the mach3 route and now just got a Futur and about to begin the journey back to DE shaving again and for good this time.

Black plastic DE razor from Boots the Chemist, here in the UK. Was the only DE type I could find, did an ok job. Gave up for a while as went the mach3 route and now just got a Futur and about to begin the journey back to DE shaving again and for good this time.

ive tried that type, not bad for the price

Parker 22R, which I purchased before finding out about their inconsistent quality. I got lucky, and mine's actually pretty good.
Used it with a Wal-Mart Personna blade and Williams shaving soap, which was a mistake because I didn't know how to make lather yet and you've gotta have decent lather with the WM Personnas.
But after my barber set me up with some Dorco blades and I saw Mantic's tutorial on lather, my 22R is turning out to be quite a good razor.

I've since added a Merkur 12C, but I keep going back to the Parker because the TTO design is just so doggone easy. :-|

I just received my first DE on friday. It's a Merkur 38C and I didn't nick myself until my fourth shave, I think I dulled the Merkur blade quickly. Next I try a Derby. I love having to slow down and shave carefully, it seems to let me relax.:smile:

An M1 (1967) Travel Tech with aluminum handle and nickel plated zinc head. It was part of a travel kit in a "Genuine Leather Case made in Austria" that I received as a gift.

It was in the early '70's, and up to then I'd been using a 2-head Norelco, and a Sears foil shaver, just like a Remington of that era.

I used it for a while until I was in a hurry one morning and took of much of a bump on the upper left corner of my mouth. It hurt like hell, but it was cheaper than plastic surgery. From there I went to the Wilkinson Bonded razor, then Trac II's...

When I discovered the DE shaving trend last year, I found the travel kit and used it with two NOS Wilkinson blades while waiting for a sample pack from West Coast shaving.

I got my first DE razor exactly one week ago, it is a EJ DE86 with ebony handle. Before that I've used different multi blade systems such as Gillette and Wilkinson Sword but never an electric razor, well that is not 100% true, I did get an electric razor from my parents when I was young but I pretty soon gave it back to my dad since I never figured out how to get a decent shave with it, and they are so noisy to aren't they?

Anyway I was a bit afraid the first time I shaved with the DE razor, because I wasn't sure how easy or hard it would be compared to a multiple blade razor or how easily it would be to cut yourself but I found it to very smooth and simple. Actually now after only one week I'm able to shave just as fast as I have ever done before. I know we are suppose to take our time in shaving and not stress through it but I rather spend that extra time on lathering up my face instead.

Well back to the EJ, it has an extremely nice finish and a great balance to it and even though it's a three piece razor I don't find it difficult or cumbersome to change the blades (I haven't actually changed any blades yet but I have taken the razor apart several times and it's very easy to put together) I know It's not an adjustable razor but I can't say that it is something that I would need right now, the shave that I get from this razor is more than enough to keep me smooth for a day or two and not having to adjust the blade makes it so simple. Perhaps if I let my beard grow longer an adjustable razor would be better but why let that happen? If I did it only means that I don't use my razor that often and that would be a shame wouldn't it :wink2:

My first DE shave was probably about 1981 with my dad's Slim Adjustable, soon after I joined the Marines. I still have that razor.

I had recieved a Gillette Brush Plus shaving thingie, where this tube of soap got put in the arse end of this giant nylon shaving brush, and this seemed kind of old school, so I decided to go all the way, and use the '66 Slim my father had abandoned for Trac II razor and cartridges when they came out in the early '70's.

Using the Slim made me feel like a salty old Marine, but I only used it infrequently because I had no idea how to use it properly, and the results were predictably bad.

When the Brush Plus thingie ran out of soap, I got an Old Spice mug and soap and used that, also infrequently. In fact, that puck lasted about twenty years, as I was mostly using Edge gel, or some kind of canned foam. I also used a Braun electric for awhile.

Fairly recently I rebelled against the cost of Fusion cartridges, found this place, and dug out Dad's old Slim. If he were alive, he'd probably get a kick out of the idea of his grandkids gawking at his son using that razor.

Mine was one of these bad boys:

full

(Shave Cat's picture). A great little starter razor with aggressive knurling...one of the 'grippiest' razors I know. I much prefer them to techs. More character, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
K3 Slim Adjustable....found at an opp shop with a Alu-tech and a Knack about 3 1/2 months ago.

To me the Slim was the razor that I remember the old man using ( he subsequently found and PIFed me his ), and was to me "a razor" more to me than the other two . This has set one of my collection criteria ( TTO only )

Used the Slim for the first couple of weeks on 3 ( as per multiple B&B recommendations ).

That was of course 12 razors ago now..............:001_tongu

Top Bottom