What's new

first DE razor you used?

A Merkur 38c Barberpole, the oly DE I could find locally. This was quickly followed by an English Tech from ebay which was a far better razor to learn with.

Back in 1963, or thereabouts, I'm pretty sure it was an adjustable, certainly a Gillette. Whatever was currently in stores at the time. So it was probably a Super Speed or a Slim.

Gillette Fat Boy. I found it in a local antique shop for $9, in great condition. At the time, I didn't even know what it was or how lucky I was to find that deal. I just knew it was a DE and that I wanted to try the DE thing (because of B&B). Now, I have a tech, SS, and an Old, and the Fat Boy beats all of them by a fair margin. Next, I think i want to try a slant or a 38C. Need to expand my horizons beyond Gillette.

My dad's Rocket back in 1973,before I turned to cartridges.:eek:My first D/E purchase since the "enlightenment" was a Parker 22R. It almost sent me back to the darkside:rolleyes:Now I am primarily a Gem guy with a recent passion for Injectors.:biggrin:

The first DE I used was some sort of Gillette that they made us all buy at the base exchange when I first arrived at basic training in the Air Force in 1966. I was only 17 years old and really didn't have to shave much more that once a week, and that was only a few long hairs on my chin. When I told the T.I. that I was cussed every which way, yelled at in front of everyone, and told that I would shave every day. I guess I carved my face all over until I finished basic, junked the DE, and switched to disposibles. That switch lasted over 40 years until I re-discovered DE shaving. Then my first DE was the Merkur HD. Sorry it took 40 plus years to discover the right way to shave, along with the right technique. :biggrin:

Best regards,

Paul

I made the mistake of searching 'safety razor' because I saw a DE used on a MASH episode and just wanted to know more about them.....that led to Mantic's videos then to eBay. First DE I bought was a Fat Boy because that seemed to be the most popular in terms of listings. After I bought it, I kept watching the videos; Mantic referenced the 'wet shaving discussion boards' and I found myself here. I soon acquired a red tip which was a lot easier to learn on and what I still use today.

My first DE was a Feather portable I bought as part of a newbie starter kit here on the B&B. It is a great deal like the Tech. That held me over for about two weeks until my first Super Speed and Diplomat arrived. It still gets use occasionally.

Last edited:
Some TTO plastic handled thing that Gillette made back in the day, A Knack, perhaps. I switched to Cartridges shortly after. This was 35 years ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy. I know for a fact I used a can of Gillette Foamy. To a 16 year old, canned foam is way cool.

Last edited:
No name plastic hospital DE razor that had no safety bar. I had to shave quickly for a medical respirator fit test I had to do. I used it like a cartridge razor, with the blade pretty close to 90 degrees, and much exsanguination occurred.:eek:

That was years ago. I'm much better now.

The black plastic Wilkinson DE razor I found online for $10 or so. Shaves were super smooth, but I bled like a pig.

It would have been my late fathers Gillette Tech (English).
Of course I moved on to better things like a Contour :frown:
(and took 30 years to find my way back !)

I also seem to recall he had a TTO with a white,kind of ribbed handle.I'm pretty sure it was a Wilkinson Sword(haven't seen anything like it on B&B) but he said the Gillette was better

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
An old Tech I found in a bag of my fathers army stuff. It was probably my 1st shave, age of about 13 or 14.

As an adult, having rediscovered the wetshaving bug, a vintage 1940's SS. About three years ago. It's still my go to razor, although I've bought and tried MANY more since then.

I was shocked to find not moer of you started on a Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic rhing founf in chemists and supermarkets) Thats what I first used and am still using, not that its a godo razor.. it really isnt..

A Merkur Futur because I thought it looked cool. My tastes have changed somewhat since then and I haven't used it in quite a while.

Parker 22R... it looked like the best deal on Amazon. It wasn't bad, actually... mine didn't have the blade gap problems so many people talk about. But curiosity got the best of me and I graduated to a Slim, and sold the 22R on the BST.

Top Bottom