What's new

What to add to collection next

If you want a smooth yet efficient razor with excellent build quality, you might want to try the Muhle Rocca.
The price is also good, considering that it is made of stainless steel.

If you want a smooth yet efficient razor with excellent build quality, you might want to try the Muhle Rocca.
The price is also good, considering that it is made of stainless steel.
I like the Rocca but it took 4 version to get the quality and it's still not machined steel.

I have multiples of the Gillette Adjustable (except the toggle) razors and enjoy the shaves that they give. I would say to use the Toggle at least once to know the shape/style is something you like and then make a decision on what direction you want to go from there.

Also, have you thought of trying any SE, Injector, or Artist club razors? They are each their own rabbit hole to go down...speaking from my personal experience.
I have a Feather Artisan DX Shavette, I love it! But I've recently gotten back into wet shaving (was rocking stubble using an electric trimmer) and lost some of my technique, so I went back to DE razors. I'm ready to go back to the shavette but am thoroughly enjoying the DE's, especially since my dad gifted me his collection.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you want to see if a slant razor is good for your skin, among all the other recommendations, for just over $30 with shipping, I love my little Filament from PAA.... It's plastic but double slanted OC. I get 12 hour shaves with mine regularly... It is light, but I got used to it quickly. It's smooth, comfortable yet close....

I also use their Cube 2.0 pre-shave... for me, non-mentholated.... in the shower and I melted one of them on the stove at very low heat into a Captain's Choice Soap Locker. I apply that one with a shaving brush. I also have the Tube 2.0 and use it when traveling. I also use their block shampoo on occasion.... It's mild but thorough for me.

I'm only adding these extra products in case you want to get free shipping... Oh, and I have their clear soap dishes made to fit the Cubes.... If you haven't been to their website, it's a bit off putting, for me, at least... but I managed to make my way past that because some of their products are excellent.

I’d shave with the Toggle; I don’t have razors that I don’t use. They were made to be used.

Instead of the Slim or Fatboy, consider the best adjustable ever made, the Gillette SuperAdjustable. Look for a post ‘77 Black Beauty with the nylon base plate. Fantastic razor with two closer settings than the Slim or Fatboy. I bought a like-new 1978 for $5.

Quaznoid beat me to it. I was going to suggest the Super Adjustable too. I have two Fatboys, a Slim, and a Супер Регулируемый. A Soviet copy of the Super Adjustable, long handle.

I use the Fatboys and the Soviet Super frequently. I don't remember the last time I used the Slim.

Use the Toggle. The mechanism is sound and as long as you rinse well after the shave it should last your lifetime. I have several and none have ever failed me. I suspect most problems were caused by users who didn't keep them clean or otherwise neglected them. I've probably flipped the toggle on my first one a thousand times and it operates the same as when I received it, already ~60 years old at the time.

To OP: have you actually tried using your Gillette adjustable ?

It’s a rather YMMV thing. I find my Super 109 adjustable too mild and sensitive to the shaving angle, compared to my Parker Variants or even mild Bailis. Opening it up to 7 or higher helps but it then becomes a little scratchy. It’s not a bad shave but nowhere near the smooth efficiency that I get from Variant (which is also based on a vintage design, it’s basically a Merkur Progress head mounted on a different handle). Generally, I find post-war Gillettes too mild, and pre-war ones a little too aggressive, with my modern razors in between.

A couple of shaves with that toggle won’t ruin it, and you will know if that’s your thing.

To OP: have you actually tried using your Gillette adjustable ?

It’s a rather YMMV thing. I find my Super 109 adjustable too mild and sensitive to the shaving angle, compared to my Parker Variants or even mild Bailis. Opening it up to 7 or higher helps but it then becomes a little scratchy. It’s not a bad shave but nowhere near the smooth efficiency that I get from Variant (which is also based on a vintage design, it’s basically a Merkur Progress head mounted on a different handle). Generally, I find post-war Gillettes too mild, and pre-war ones a little too aggressive, with my modern razors in between.

A couple of shaves with that toggle won’t ruin it, and you will know if that’s your thing.
I'm going to try the Toggle for my next shave. And since making this post, I have gone down the rabbit hole of modern razors and am considering a Blackbird, Wolfman, etc.

But I have a lot of nice, varying razors to compare, so I'm going to pause the search, enjoy what I have, and see what works and what doesn't. Also going to try different blades, as all I've used in my many years of wet shaving are feathers.

I'm going to try the Toggle for my next shave. And since making this post, I have gone down the rabbit hole of modern razors and am considering a Blackbird, Wolfman, etc.

But I have a lot of nice, varying razors to compare, so I'm going to pause the search, enjoy what I have, and see what works and what doesn't. Also going to try different blades, as all I've used in my many years of wet shaving are feathers.
Personally I think it’s good to try and consider the RR Gamechanger and Lupo prior to large investments if you’re already into Gillettes.

I wanted to find a better shave but keep falling back to my Gillettes and modern Slants after trying a bunch of moderns.

Excellent suggestion!

GC and Lupo stand equally in my razor rotation with higher priced modern razors.
Sadly they’ll eventually make the BST for me.

Not bad razors, just get a better shave from my Gillettes and slants. Think because of that these razors are a nice stepping stone to think about whether other more expensive modern razors are worth it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Jake Morris let's see what both will say, but as I just read it and saw you are still looking for an identification of that iKon razor (I still say it is the uncoated version of the existing what was it, OSS or so...) I feel like adding my impression of the Lupos and Game Changers, as I have a lot of them at home:

Lupo: Always positive blade exposure, the bar and comb are always smaller, they shave steeper and I find them more aggressive but also a bit more efficient.

Game Changer: Negative or Neutral exposure for the .68, with .84P (that's what the P is for) the exposure becomes slightly positive. It is a milder razor, very smooth, smoother in general, angle also rather neutral.

I don't have the latest 1.27 and 1.05 models, I find the JAWS a bit dangerous, the OC is nice, the teeth are not as widely spaced. The Lupo DC is very nice with its .95 SB and .72 OC side, I got a Chinese clone (Vostok) with 1.05 exposure on both sides and OC/SB sides, it shaves a bit differently compared to the real deal, though, but might be due to the increased gap.

If you are more into efficiency, the Lupos, smoother shave with the Game Changers, except for the OC and JAWS version, particularly the JAWS.

@TheBurgh @Joezamboni - How would you describe the difference between the Lupo and GC? Trying to determine which one to go with.
I’ve read it described as the Lupo being more blade forward feeling and tend to think this is accurate.

I’ve tried the GC 68, 76, and 84. The 76 definitely feels like the sweet spot while I’ve only tried the Lupo 58 and that seems perfect for that razor. With that though I can get a smoother shave with nearly any vintage Gillette so these are gathering dust.

If they cloned an English Flat bottom tech (including the lines in the safety bar) they might have a big winner

Razorocks best in my opinion are the 37 Slant and Superslant L2

Chasing nothing really, have Vintages that work, Beard is Old 7 tas me. If ki was young, and when I was young a New Gillette Slim cover all bases for me. Too bad I was not smart enough to hold on to it, think it wound up in trash during disposable craze.

Top Bottom