What's new

first DE razor you used?

Parker 86r, with Sharp Stainless razors. I think it was the razors and dedication to being careful at all times that really made me get great shaves out of it. It really is not all that great of a razor... but it works! :lol:

what was the first ever DE razor you used? feel free to add extra like how old you were, where you got it from, how it went etc.
my first was an open comb laurel that my grandad gave me (that his dad gave him) it was the third razor i used after a modern gillette and a sanguine cool cut straight razor and gave a better shave than both previous razors.

It was a plastic wilkinson...Fortunately I bought a Merkur 15C after a month...

First was with my father's Gillette Knack (I believe that's the name) used to get cuts like crazy. So I went back to disposables and forgot about DE. This year I got a Parker 91r and couple weeks later got a Merkur 38C and haven't looked back. I am now looking for a vintage Gillette. :biggrin:

My first DE was a 1960 Gillette Toggle that my parents gave me for Christmas that year. I was 16 and kept using that razor for about 30 years. Threw it away then because of plating loss, etc. Was an excellent shaver during all those years. Two years ago I bought a "Mint" 1958 Gillette Toggle for my collection and for old times sake.

Hi EddieB:

What's that razor in your avatar? A silver New Improved?

My first DE shave was back in 91' in highschool, Gillette Plastic handle, I still have it, but now I use my Tech, Merkur 23c or 56 red tip, those three are my main rotation.

My first DE shave was with a Merkur 34c with a Red Personna blade, Proraso preshave cream, Proraso Cream, and Proraso Aftershave Splash about 8 hours ago.

I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable that I picked up at a local antique mall that I will try in a couple of weeks after I master the Merkur.

how did you find the merkur?

Gentlemen,

The first double razor I used was a Gillette, I am sure. In fact, I had several in the early years. Somewhere along the shaving path I lost my way and used the multi-blade cartridge abominations.

Years later, when I returned to the double edge, I bought a Parker. I don't remember the number. We parted ways, as I found it far too aggressive and unfriendly. After that it was the Merkur, later the Merkur 38C "Barber Pole."

Recently I sold the Merkur 38C, and today I sold my HD (34C). My razors now consist of Edwin Jagger, Muhle, and Cyril Salter (I think the Salter used a Merkur head, too). Muhle heads are perfect for me.

Regards,

Obelit

First DE was my grandfathers Black Handle Slim Adjustable shaved off more skin
then hair.
Sadly i gave it up and went to cartridge razor for the next 16-17 years. Got a parker
22R off of amazon 2 months ago used it for two weeks then found a 65 ss at a flea market and have not looked back.

Last edited:
After using many razors over the years, I got more and more discouraged with the quality of the best cartridge razors available... Lots of money and way too many blades used at a time... I was finding it hard to believe that 6 blades were needed to get an almost acceptable shave.

I started looking around for a great first DE razor and after reading and researching, I saved up for a Merkur Vision set and good shaving cream. Wow, a great shave; and with only one blade on my face at a time. I guess making progress sometimes means going back to some timeless designs that worked so well for years.

Personally, I am really happy to discover a historical way to shave and wish I could find more aspects of my life that I could rediscover from a historical perspective. :001_rolle

Kevin

First DE and shave was a Merkur 38C and proraso cream. I've had a number of razors (Fatboy, slim, Tech, and a few I can't remember) and now I use the Slant on a regular basis, with the 38 as my travel razor. It's been about a year and a half and I'll never go back.

Now I'm starting with the straight razor. Picked one up from Ebay a couple of months after I started with the DE but was too scared to try it. Kept telling myself it needed to be honed and I'd wait just a while...well two months ago I ordered some DE blades and threw in a strop and some paste on the order. I shave about twice a week now. Not saying it's a great blade, but I'll get a better one sooner or later. :rolleyes:

I was shocked to find not moer of you started on a Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic rhing founf in chemists and supermarkets) Thats what I first used and am still using, not that its a godo razor.. it really isnt..
Trust me, If I had been lucky enough to have been raised on the south coast of England, I would have used one. :biggrin:

Wilk blades from that period are my favorites, BTW.

I would have thought I see a lot more of the Gillette Slim Adjustable as the first DE. Anyway that was the first DE razor I used.

MY first DE was a 1938-41 black plastic handle Tech off eBay. Mine's not gold. Initially, I thought it was toy-like in it's size, but after a couple months, it's one of my go-to shavers.

I bought it after my Atra was lost and started looking for better alternatives. I'm not looking back, and hope to hold on to that razor to pass it down to my kid.

Gillette Canadian Fat Handle tech that was given to me by my "host father" when i was in finland on youth exchange, i still dont know how it got there... kinda cool though

Top Bottom