What's new

first DE razor you used?

Well, my first DE Razor was a Merkur 23c Long Hand (bar type). I was sick of what Wallie-word had to offer. I got it new in 2007 from lee's Safety Razors .com. My first shave was great the second one on the other hand was a little red. :w00t: I think I have it down know but some days :biggrin:.

R

rainman

This is a bit complex. The first time I used a DE was when I was 12. Found a fatboy in my dad's medicine cabinet and used it to shave my head. I think I used blades out of the used blade bank and who knows what I thought the adjustments meant. Worked out fine.

The first time I shave my face with a DE was with a Vincent. A Vincent is a Weishi clone. Got it for $20 with 100 blades off ebay back when I thought I was starting DE shaving to save money! Very funny now. Used Trader Joes unscented shaving cream in a tube that cost $3 for 8 ounces(actually made for them by Alba, good stuff) and the shave went great for 2 months. Also to note that I started out with one pass wtg shaves till I got used to it. After that I was hooked and tried many more razors and blades. Not a bad addiction when you really think about it.:biggrin:

My first was a Merkur Classic 1904 which was recomended here in a few threads around the time I was looking for a change.

I used my 1904 for a year and a half straight. Then, at the beginning of this year.... i started expanding my options..... a lot... and they keep growing :biggrin:

The esteemed members of this forum reccomended the Merkur HD which I purchased.
It is an excellent starter razor and will always have a place in rotation.

Years ago... I don't remember (over 30 years ago), but renewed interest was with a Edwin Jagger 86. Very easy on the skin, it got me back into wetshaving.

No-date notched SuperSpeed.

The only "new" razor I have purchased was a "Chessman" vintage Merkur Slant.
I am now down to a few keepers, and moved on to Straights.

I was sixteen or seventeen and I used my dads Gillette super speed red tip and whatever soap he had in his old spice mug. Boy did I do a number on my face, lot of nicks and cuts. When my father saw me he smiled and said...looks like someone has been using the old mans razor!

My late grandfather's 40's Style Super Speed (1954, z1). I had my mom send it to me last summer when I decided to start the DE adventure. I have been using soap an brush since around 1992.

:biggrin:After just over thirty years of using various disposables and multi-bladed razors was resigned to constant battles with ingrown hairs on my neck/cheeks. Whilst travelling over to Europe late last fall (2008) I read an article in Air Canada's In-Flight magazine about traditional wet shaving and that using DE razors could minimize the problem of ingrown hairs. Whilst in Brussels I popped into one of shops that specialize in blades of every description and got talking to the owner. I came away with some MERKUR Super blades, a MERKUR 23C, a DOVO Super Badger brush and some DOVO (Gold Dachs) Rasierseife soap. The tin is awesome for travelling, you just need to make sure the threads on the lid and base are dry before closing it. After almost nine months I still have some left in the tin, although I have just purchased a Col. Conk (Almond) to try when it finally runs out. On the nostalgia front, the soap reminded me of the stuff used by my late father and grandfather in the sixties. In-grown hairs appear to be a thing of the past, touch wood! I certainly will not be using one of those nasty multi-bladed things on my chops ever again.

Last edited:
D4 flare tip superspeed that I got at an antique mall for $8.75...decent shave with schick platinum plus blades...got the case, razor and those blades for the 8.75 price tag...good deal, but I traded that razor to crissman for some goodies from his store...

Visiting Czechoslovakia in '89 or '90 (still one country in those days) I found an Astra TTO and some blades for less than $2,=. I had been looking for a DE for several years but all I could find were the blades and there it was; shiny white plastic and doors closing slightly uneven but it served me well as my only razor at least for a decade till my first Merkur came in.

Worn out today I still use it from time to time; it is not very good but from the first shave on it was better than anything I used before!

Souplex (British brand) I bought it for 6 pounds on it Backelite case. Is a good shaver, although a bit light for my liking.
I still shave with it ocasionally, just to remember how I started.

My first one was a merkur hd a few years back then switched to a fatboy. This time it was a slim adjustable switched to fatboy.

Merkur Futur, using Merkur blades. Without having any useful guidance on where to set it, I put it on 3 because it seemed to be the middle of the road. :rolleyes:

The first one I ever used was a one that my buddy, Shavinfireman from here, loaned me. I can remember the exact year model and such, but I'm pretty sure it was a superspeed. The first one I bought myself was a silver Tech. Found it at an antique store for $4. Still have it and likely will have it forever. I've added quite a few since, but still love my "first."

The first razor I used was my dad's old Gillette Slim Adjustable. I then moved onto a Merkur Barberpole 38C, but found this to be a little too much razor (in weight and heft; probably just my lack of experience and skill still). I liked the smaller size of the Gillette, so I purchased a Merkur 34C HD next and haven't looked for anything else since (although a Fatboy or Super Speed would be nice :001_rolle). I feel I have more control with the 34C for now and am getting great shaves:001_smile!

Top Bottom